+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Influencers

Influencers

I’m definitely coming from a grumpy old man and jealousy as they’re getting paid more than me for twatting about on camera viewpoint but by Christ do social media influencers really annoy me

The mrs now watches more YouTube vloggers about rubbish than actual edited and carefully put together tv.

Re: Influencers

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I’m definitely coming from a grumpy old man and jealousy as they’re getting paid more than me for twatting about on camera viewpoint but by Christ do social media influencers really annoy me

The mrs now watches more YouTube vloggers about rubbish than actual edited and carefully put together tv.
    Sounds to me like it's your missus who annoys you rather than people on YouTube.

I can honestly say I've no idea what it / they are. So I'm still chilled.

Not sure who you are watching but some YouTubers have really high production quality. Peter McKinnon, Casey neistat etc. Mr Beast is a bit more DIY but it's hardly amateur and a lot of his content is bonkers.

I'd take you tube over wife swap, Four in a bed, Come dine with me and all those other reality programmes any day.
    Telly these days is full of talentless wannabe stars and I rarely watch it.

I was against influencers on principle from the moment I learned what they were, but I suppose they are a product of the times we live in - did people become as in need of guidance and reassurance with the advent of social media or have they always been that way? If I had to guess, I'd go for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was against influencers on principle from the moment I learned what they were, but I suppose they are a product of the times we live in - did people become as in need of guidance and reassurance with the advent of social media or have they always been that way? If I had to guess, I'd go for the latter.
    Except that it's not about advice or guidance. The term influencer relates to the influence they have on their follows buying stuff. The model is basically that they collect as many followers as possible and accept freebies and ad money to plug stuff. The are just human advertising space. I think it's a very clever marketing technique by companies but the influencers themselves must be some of the most self absorbed, cynical individuals in society.

It depends on who the influencers are..

Firstly ' influencer' is a very broad term, it can be anyone with an audience: celebrity, youtuber, artist, actor even footballer.
    There are of course many positive influencers, I follow Joe Rogan on social media and US navy seal David Goggins. They provide me with great motivation and positive perspectives in terms of men who take care of their physical and mental health.

There are also what I would call not so positive influencers Logan Paul and his ilk, because I find most of their content is set up and exaggerated for affect to get more views and money, hence I do not trust their intentions or buy into their motivations.

A positive influencer can be a fantastic thing, making sure you are intentional enough to find the right one for you is the hard part.

A lot of youtubers are highly skilled, no doubt about it, and almost everyone puts a lot of work into what they do.

Headline on BBC today about KSI (one from the latest youtuber crop) makes more money than his teachers playing FIFA online. Not his fault but isn't it just another part of celeb culture and another sign we're valuing the wrong thing? Some of his former teachers will be a couple of bad months away from facing really difficult financial times whereas he, and other "celebs", wouldn't be in that position for five years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Except that it's not about advice or guidance. The term influencer relates to the influence they have on their follows buying stuff. The model is basically that they collect as many followers as possible and accept freebies and ad money to plug stuff. The are just human advertising space. I think it's a very clever marketing technique by companies but the influencers themselves must be some of the most self absorbed, cynical individuals in society.
    On the contrary they very entrepreneurial. That kid from Ely hasn’t done bad for himself making YouTube videos of himself playing FIFA. I don’t think a black kid from Ely would have much chance of becoming a millionaire by the time he was in his early twenties through the traditional job market. Legal job market anyway.

You can get a vaccination against it, can't you ?