+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 metres World Champion banned

100 metres World Champion banned

The reigning 100m world champion Christian Coleman has just received a 2 year ban for a doping violation.

A staggering fact is that of the 50 fastest 100m times ever run, 35 are by athletes who have failed a dope test, missed a dope test or were suspected of doping. The other 15 fastest times were run by one man...
    ...Usain Bolt !

It's no wonder that a sport I loved to watch more than any other no longer has a place in my heart. All cheats should receive a lifetime ban in my opinion. Otherwise the sport will continue to be dogged by suspicion.

Re: 100 metres World Champion banned

Wouldn’t it be fun to have a full doped up Olympics though, what telly that would be. The 100m....whooooosh!!!!!, the high jump...f*ck me, he’s in hospitality, judges in the car park outside for the pole vault etc etc, it’d be brilliant

Is it just a coincidence that he’s named after a famous Jack, who are renown for their fast running (away)....

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    The reigning 100m world champion Christian Coleman has just received a 2 year ban for a doping violation.

A staggering fact is that of the 50 fastest 100m times ever run, 35 are by athletes who have failed a dope test, missed a dope test or were suspected of doping. The other 15 fastest times were run by one man...
    ...Usain Bolt !

It's no wonder that a sport I loved to watch more than any other no longer has a place in my heart. All cheats should receive a lifetime ban in my opinion. Otherwise the sport will continue to be dogged by suspicion.
    I believe that all sports are probably equal just the minority ones are picked on. I'd wager footballer is riddled with it but the money stops it coming to the surface.

...Usain Bolt !

I agree with your sentiments- a great sport has been tarnished by too many drugs cheats. I think Mo Farah is clean but who knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I agree with your sentiments- a great sport has been tarnished by too many drugs cheats. I think Mo Farah is clean but who knows for sure.

Isn’t it sometimes said that the athletes with the best pharmacists go undetected and are the most successful?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wouldn’t it be fun to have a full doped up Olympics though, what telly that would be. The 100m....whooooosh!!!!!, the high jump...f*ck me, he’s in hospitality, judges in the car park outside for the pole vault etc etc, it’d be brilliant
    In jest I suggested that to some friends years ago. Could be dodgy if you're head-on to the javelin thrower though !

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    😂😂😂

...Usain Bolt !

Do you believe that Bolt is clean then?

Yeah Bolt was 100% clean. He was just a freak of nature who obliterated the sport. He wouldn’t have remained top boy for so long if he was on the juice. Same for Farah, just dedicated talented guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Do you believe that Bolt is clean then?
    Yes, always have. I'm sure I've read he is or was the most tested sportsman on the planet. Would hate to find out in a few years that we've all been duped. But I don't think we will.

Yes, always have. I'm sure I've read he is or was the most tested sportsman on the planet. Would hate to find out in a few years that we've all been duped. But I don't think we will.
    Hmmm .. Lance Armstrong

Used to love athletics back in the 70's 80's.
    I remember the nights in places like Oslo live athletics with Ovett, Coe and Cram going for world records.
    These and the track events in the Olympics were a must see.

I remember Ron Pickering campaigning against drug use saying it will kill the sport, looks as though he was right.
    Nowadays I rarely watch any of it, even the Olympics isn't what it once was for me.
    Ban 'em for life if caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Hmmm .. Lance Armstrong
    I too thought of him straight away.
    Tosser

Edit:
    I was referring to Armstrong not you Des

Hmmm .. Lance Armstrong
    Great jazz trumpeter....what a wonderful world.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Used to love athletics back in the 70's 80's.
    I remember the nights in places like Oslo live athletics with Ovett, Coe and Cram going for world records.
    These and the track events in the Olympics were a must see.

I remember Ron Pickering campaigning against drug use saying it will kill the sport, looks as though he was right.
    Nowadays I rarely watch any of it, even the Olympics isn't what it once was for me.
    Ban 'em for life if caught.
    Like you I used to love athletics. For me, any athletics meet on TV was a must watch. The Bislet games in Oslo was something special. You would also probably remember the Emsley Carr mile that was run annually at Crystal Palace or other venues in the UK.

A crying shame that people like Marion Jones, Ben Johnson, Dwain Chambers and their ilk have destroyed the sport. And as for state-sponsored doping of the East Germans and Russians don't get me started !

Hmmm .. Lance Armstrong
    Lance was always center of rumours about using juice, his ex-team mates grassed him up over it, but of course Lance carried too much weight in the sport

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Yeah Bolt was 100% clean. He was just a freak of nature who obliterated the sport. He wouldn’t have remained top boy for so long if he was on the juice. Same for Farah, just dedicated talented guys.
    Bolt was also far far better than the others from 15 years old. The drug cheats (ones we know of anyway) tend to have accelerated development out of nowhere. That's what makes me confident about Bolt. His incredible ability was always obvious, we could see why he was different.

...Usain Bolt !

That's an amazing stat about the fifty fastest times. I agree about life bans, but I reckon that policy would be one court challenge away from being overturned on something like human rights grounds.

I'm not sure if there was one single incident when it happened, but sometime within the last thirty odd years the athletics watching public lost faith in the sport and I struggle to see how that faith can be restored- for myself, I always looked at it differently after the 1988 Olympics where one of the sprint champions was shown to be a drugs cheats and there were strong suspicions about the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That's an amazing stat about the fifty fastest times. I agree about life bans, but I reckon that policy would be one court challenge away from being overturned on something like human rights grounds.

I'm not sure if there was one single incident when it happened, but sometime within the last thirty odd years the athletics watching public lost faith in the sport and I struggle to see how that faith can be restored- for myself, I always looked at it differently after the 1988 Olympics where one of the sprint champions was shown to be a drugs cheats and there were strong suspicions about the other one.
    The East Germans and the Russians were always viewed as cheat and drug takers, as you say the 1988 Olympics changed that with Ben Johnson and since then it’s become widespread.

I think Cleeve van Leefe and Bob Wilson have it absolutely correct. When us oldies were kids, athletics along with cricket was most peoples’ favourite or second favourite summer sport. It all began to change after the rest of the athletics world started to emulate the Russians and East Germans as steroids cheats. Take a gander at Marita Koch and her cronies and see what they look like today after abusing their bodies for so long!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    The East Germans and the Russians were always viewed as cheat and drug takers, as you say the 1988 Olympics changed that with Ben Johnson and since then it’s become widespread.
    Who had the most medals after the USA in 2016 ?

Our old friends China. Rumour is, their athletes slept hanging by their toes from the rafters..

There's a good book about the 88 men's 100m final by Richard Moore. There was also a doc made alongside it shown on bbc2 a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I think Cleeve van Leefe and Bob Wilson have it absolutely correct. When us oldies were kids, athletics along with cricket was most peoples’ favourite or second favourite summer sport. It all began to change after the rest of the athletics world started to emulate the Russians and East Germans as steroids cheats. Take a gander at Marita Koch and her cronies and see what they look like today after abusing their bodies for so long!
    Yes, I think she started competing under her maiden name, Fanny.

The greek lad who popped up from nowhere, won the 200mtr final in sydney then disappeared into the abyss after missing a drugs test claiming he was in a motorcycle crash (all complete bollox of course!!) to name a few.

Thats why Bolt coming through and world dominating for so long was actually such a boost to the sport.