+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 metres World Champion banned

Re: 100 metres World Champion banned

https://twitter.com/jair1970/status/...162556929?s=20

I love this graphic on Flo Jo, who in the space of 12 months, knocked half a second off her times and then retired.
    And nobody has been anywhere near that time since.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://twitter.com/jair1970/status/...162556929?s=20

I love this graphic on Flo Jo, who in the space of 12 months, knocked half a second off her times and then retired.
    And nobody has been anywhere near that time since.
    Then died early with a gravelly voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    The greek lad who popped up from nowhere, won the 200mtr final in sydney then disappeared into the abyss after missing a drugs test claiming he was in a motorcycle crash (all complete bollox of course!!) to name a few.

Thats why Bolt coming through and world dominating for so long was actually such a boost to the sport.
    Yes that was Kenteris, who beat our own Darren Campbell to the gold in that final. Strangely enough, I watched it on YouTube a few weeks ago.

The motorcycle 'accident' was indeed suspicious but surprise surprise both him and the other Greek sprinter were acquitted.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wouldn’t it be fun to have a full doped up Olympics though, what telly that would be. The 100m....whooooosh!!!!!, the high jump...f*ck me, he’s in hospitality, judges in the car park outside for the pole vault etc etc, it’d be brilliant
    I posted something similar a while back yes really would by a high light event.

The Winter Olympics would have all sorts of snow about, making right charlies of themselves

As far as I am concerned they can dope up to their eyeballs. Level playing field then.

I just cant believe anything I see in athletics or cycling. Though I do believe Bolt is clean.

Due to all the cheats in these sports I really cant be bothered with either.

I still remember though Bolts 1st 100m gold. I was in the pub and they had the Olympics on and so went to watch the final. It was a genuine WTF was that moment. Incredible.

Boxing worries me. At least no one can get killed by the athletes or cyclists.

As a side David Millars book is a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Lance was always center of rumours about using juice, his ex-team mates grassed him up over it, but of course Lance carried too much weight in the sport
    I think the fact that Armstrong won so many titles while on drugs makes it all the more an achievement. When ever I've been off my tits on drugs I've never been capable of even finding my bike.

Can I add at this point that drugtaking has never been one of my vices!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I just cant believe anything I see in athletics or cycling. Though I do believe Bolt is clean.

Due to all the cheats in these sports I really cant be bothered with either.

I still remember though Bolts 1st 100m gold. I was in the pub and they had the Olympics on and so went to watch the final. It was a genuine WTF was that moment. Incredible.

Boxing worries me. At least no one can get killed by the athletes or cyclists.

As a side David Millars book is a great read.
    Do you think other sports dope as much?

What is it with these sports that have a far less financial reward and status are riddled with dopes fiends?

What happened to those glorious Coe v Ovett events ,oh and dear old Steve Cram

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post

What is it with these sports that have a far less financial reward and status are riddled with dopes fiends?
    Although I have no facts to back it up, I would imagine that Weightlifting, Rugby League and American Football are pretty strong candidates for use of performance enhancing drugs.

Well that's probably why. If you've got to be in the top 0.5% of a sport to make decent money as opposed to the top 10%, you've got much more incentive to dope to be the very best.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I think Cleeve van Leefe and Bob Wilson have it absolutely correct. When us oldies were kids, athletics along with cricket was most peoples’ favourite or second favourite summer sport. It all began to change after the rest of the athletics world started to emulate the Russians and East Germans as steroids cheats. Take a gander at Marita Koch and her cronies and see what they look like today after abusing their bodies for so long!
    Don't seem to have done Heike Drechsler any harm. Just looked her up and she is still stunning now.

Not so with Marita Koch who always looked like a bloke to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Well that's probably why. If you've got to be in the top 0.5% of a sport to make decent money as opposed to the top 10%, you've got much more incentive to dope to be the very best.
    Tyler Hamilton's book "The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs" is an interesting read. Hamilton relates how hitherto mediochre cyclists were outperforming him and how his career was going backwards unless he joined the fold of dopers. I can't remember the book coming over as self-pitying or an excuse for what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Don't seem to have done Heike Drechsler any harm. Just looked her up and she is still stunning now.

Not so with Marita Koch who always looked like a bloke to me anyway.
    Heike Dreschler always had something about her, if you ignored her rather long neck. Of a similar build (and attractiveness)
    is Dafne Shippers, the Dutch sprinter. She's very pretty with a hint of masculinity unfortunately, probably due to her weight training. Still very nice though.

Marita Koch did look like a bloke but if you want the full masculine look, you need to look no further than Jarmila Kratichvilov. What a guy !

First Team

I also had a thing for Heike Drechsler but as an East German athlete in that era you have to be suspicious.
    Didn’t the Russian who pipped the also attractive Sharon Davies to the gold eventually decide to transition into a male as a result of the supplements taken under that regime or is my imagination running wild?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I also had a thing for Heike Drechsler but as an East German athlete in that era you have to be suspicious.
    Didn’t the Russian who pipped the also attractive Sharon Davies to the gold eventually decide to transition into a male as a result of the supplements taken under that regime or is my imagination running wild?
    Petra Schneider was the name of the swimmer I think you're referring to. She represented East Germany and admitted that she did take performance enhancing drugs throughout her career. However, I can find no mention of her transitioning. Maybe a little bit of a fantasy going on there Major ? 😊

First Team

Quite possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Heike Dreschler always had something about her, if you ignored her rather long neck. Of a similar build (and attractiveness)
    is Dafne Shippers, the Dutch sprinter. She's very pretty with a hint of masculinity unfortunately, probably due to her weight training. Still very nice though.

Marita Koch did look like a bloke but if you want the full masculine look, you need to look no further than Jarmila Kratichvilov. What a guy !
    Koch's 400m and Kratichviliva's 800m world records from the early 80's still stand.
    Seems ridiculous that theyve been kept on the books, but what they took wasnt detectable at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Koch's 400m and Kratichviliva's 800m world records from the early 80's still stand.
    Seems ridiculous that theyve been kept on the books, but what they took wasnt detectable at the time.
    I had to check the times run by the above athletes and Marita Koch's 47.60 for the 400m is ridiculous. Anyone who breaks 50 seconds nowadays is regarded as world class. It is almost as unbreakable as Flojo's 100m world record and should be expunged from the record books.

Before they were outed as drug cheats, I could never understand how East Germany, with a population of between 16-18 million could dominate athletics and many other sports in the way they did. It was somehow reassuring when their state-sponsored doping regime cam to light.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post

Before they were outed as drug cheats, I could never understand how East Germany, with a population of between 16-18 million could dominate athletics and many other sports in the way they did. It was somehow reassuring when their state-sponsored doping regime cam to light.
    The Whole East german thing was just pushing the cheating to the extreme, i saw a program once where young athletes were taken to " factories " and juices, pushed and trained way beyond what a human body could cope with, juices again and then it was repeated

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I see it differently, if you've got a billion dollar industry you'll do everything to protect it.

I see it differently, if you've got a billion dollar industry you'll do everything to protect it.
    I thought you were talking about individuals in sports with less money?