+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singers/Bands That Should Have Hung Their Mics Up ?

Re: Singers/Bands That Should Have Hung Their Mics Up ?

I saw Killing Joke last year. They were great. I saw Motley Crue and Alice Cooper a few years back, good. Simple Minds, good. The Who, very good. But I've seen bands I liked more, like Echo and the Bunnymen and the Psychedelic Furs and they weren't so good. I was supposed to see the Dandy Warhols last April but it was canceled. I used to see them all the time, but I sort of gave up because they stopped playing the songs I like. I will normally check a band out on setlist.fm now before I bother going to see them.

I saw the Damned and L7 in the last few years too and they were both very good.

To be honest, I can't be arsed going to many shows these days. It has to be the right band in the right venue playing the right songs at a convenient date and time. Doesn't happen very often. I'll sometimes make the effort to go and see someone new, because the venues are more to my liking, but older bands not so much.

I kind of wish I'd gone to see X, Stereolab and Lush when they played in the last couple of years, but I couldn't be bothered so that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sabbath should have called it a day in 1998 , I saw them at Milton Keynes bowl , they were fantastic but looked on their last legs

But they went on and on

Rolling stones bunch of jokers

Genesis christ thats scraping the barrel

Springsteen is a fantastic performer, he will keep going

Yes , Robert Plant , Floyd all dinosaurs

As for this eighties revival type tours what a load of bollocks , dreadful chart music performed by grannies
    Horses for courses Sludge, I think the 80s was the best for music, no matter how it was produced.

I wish Brian May would feck off....should have put it to bed once Freddy M passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Horses for courses Sludge, I think the 80s was the best for music, no matter how it was produced.
    80s music seemed better because it wasn't fecking 70s disco.

The best music was in the 70s album charts - the singles charts were rank.

But we'll all think that the music of our youth was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Rod Stewart, I really like him but he is awful now. The Who. And let's face it the Beatles have done **** all for nearly 50 years.
    My Mrs loves his newish stuff Not everyone's cup of tea though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Aa...2Ro7Zz&index=1

The Cult last year were fantastic

Always love watching Stiff Little Fingers when they come around and they never fail to put on a great show

Went to see The Undertones and The Ruts with Don Corleone and Nigel Blues which was a good show - great to sing along to the songs of your youth

And Christmas isn't Christmas without Buster Bloodvessel and Max Splodge doing the exact same show every December but I've always had a drink so don't care

A lot of these bands will be gone soon and all that will be left will be too dreadful to think of - enjoy it whilst we can

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I saw Killing Joke last year. They were great. I saw Motley Crue and Alice Cooper a few years back, good. Simple Minds, good. The Who, very good. But I've seen bands I liked more, like Echo and the Bunnymen and the Psychedelic Furs and they weren't so good. I was supposed to see the Dandy Warhols last April but it was canceled. I used to see them all the time, but I sort of gave up because they stopped playing the songs I like. I will normally check a band out on setlist.fm now before I bother going to see them.

I saw the Damned and L7 in the last few years too and they were both very good.

To be honest, I can't be arsed going to many shows these days. It has to be the right band in the right venue playing the right songs at a convenient date and time. Doesn't happen very often. I'll sometimes make the effort to go and see someone new, because the venues are more to my liking, but older bands not so much.

I kind of wish I'd gone to see X, Stereolab and Lush when they played in the last couple of years, but I couldn't be bothered so that's that.
    Stereolab were a great band and killing joke were too but last time I saw them it was going to be the last , just a pantomime show now

Springsteen is into his 70’s. I’d still pay an obscene amount of money to see him live.

He just released a beautiful new album with the E Street Band...‘Letter to Your. If you have Apple TV+ there is a fantastic 90 minute film of the making of that album. It’s a mix of nostalgia, great camaraderie and music with some poignant moments. I loved it but I’m a huge fan

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    there are loads of bands from the 80's that sludge likes, hes just forgotten them

I thought springsteen was crap and the stones were brillant the last time they both played cardiff.
    You cant always get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I thought springsteen was crap and the stones were brillant the last time they both played cardiff.
    You cant always get what you want.
    The Stones were too expensive last time they were in Cardiff so I didn't see them, but I have seen them 3 or 4 times before and enjoyed them every time. I've seen Bruce a few times as well, including his last time in Cardiff, I enjoyed that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by binman
    Always love watching Stiff Little Fingers when they come around and they never fail to put on a great show
    Saw them and Eddie and The Hot Rods at the students union a year or so back. Both bands were great.

I thought the last time Springsteen was in Cardiff, he was fantastic but the time before, I was disappointed. I saw him at the Etihad a couple of years ago, in the rain and he was back on top form. We went to a local pub before the concert and they only played his songs the entire time, we were in there.

Let them play on, if people like them they will go and watch. If people don't like them, they will watch and then whinge about how they don't sound as good.

Some of these bands wrote some amazing tunes. Who are you to take away their right to play those songs to an audience that wants to hear them?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    the boring stones for about 25 years ago
    When you've written a song as good as Paint It Black, don't get too upset if someone says you can't play it anymore because you are too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Annie Lennox
    Elton John
    Paul McCartney
    When you have written a song as great as Sweet Dreams, maybe then you can tell Annie Lennox to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    One good thing about Glastonbury being cancelled was Paul McCartney not being able to headline.
    I'm sure that the writer of the most covered song in music history, "Yesterday", among many other great songs, will be devastated that he can't personally disappoint you at Glastonbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    When you've written a song as good as Paint It Black, don't get too upset if someone says you can't play it anymore because you are too old.
    I once heard an interview with Chuck Berry that asked him if he ever got bored with playing Johnny B Good. He asked why he would, do people get bored with playing or hearing Beethoven's 5th Symphony?
    If it's good then it's good, how ever many times it is played.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    When you have written a song as great as Sweet Dreams, maybe then you can tell Annie Lennox to stop.
    It's not just about how good the songs they wrote are. It's about how well they can perform them.
    I saw BB King years ago, one of the best blues guitarists ever, a great gig. Then I saw him again a couple of years before he died. It was embarrassing, he was a rambling, senile, old man who was a shadow of his former self. He should have stopped gigging a few years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I thought the last time Springsteen was in Cardiff, he was fantastic but the time before, I was disappointed. I saw him at the Etihad a couple of years ago, in the rain and he was back on top form. We went to a local pub before the concert and they only played his songs the entire time, we were in there.
    I have similar fond memories, I want to see U2 in Cologne on the JT tour (85?), and their music was being blasted out everywhere before the concert. I also saw the Foo Fighters in Dublin last year and was in a pub that had them on loop.

Happy days.

i've never bought anything by 'The Boss' but saw the reviews on his latest release so took a gamble and bought it and its great.
    Last edited by Peajay; 31-10-20 at 11:27. Reason: addition

I saw the ukulele orchestra of great britain a few years back, wrinkles and the odd paunch but still pretty good really...

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    I saw the ukulele orchestra of great britain a few years back, wrinkles and the odd paunch but still pretty good really...
    I was lucky enough to see them in the Sydney Opera House of all places about 10 years ago. We wanted to see whoever was playing there during our 4 days in Sydney and we were not disappointed. An excellent show even though we'd just stepped of the plane and could barely stay awake.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I was lucky enough to see them in the Sydney Opera House of all places about 10 years ago. We wanted to see whoever was playing there during our 4 days in Sydney and we were not disappointed. An excellent show even though we'd just stepped of the plane and could barely stay awake.
    I had 4 fabulous days in Sydney in an apartment next to Government house in Kirribilli over looking the opera house in February, seems such a long time ago now. Cabin fever makes me long for travel again, cant wait to go back to Oz, particularly the fantastic city and surrounds of Adelaide.

a musician who should never give up . happy birthday johnny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEc9WZ1bkY

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    a musician who should never give up . happy birthday johnny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEc9WZ1bkY