+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newport sign a young, up and coming prospect

Newport sign a young, up and coming prospect

Re: Newport sign a young, up and coming prospect

I watched Ellison play for Morecambe against County a good few years ago when he was considered to be a veteran coming to the end of his career and he was a bit of a hate figure for the home crowd.I daresay he must be that at quite a few grounds because fans of teams in the fourth tier would have been watching him play against their teams for donkey's years.

Fair play to him, it's an achievement to be considered worth a contract at that age.

When did Ellison play against City at Ninian Park and who was the future City player in the same team as him that day? There was also a current Premier League veteran in that side, who?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I watched Ellison play for Morecambe against County a good few years ago when he was considered to be a veteran coming to the end of his career and he was a bit of a hate figure for the home crowd.I daresay he must be that at quite a few grounds because fans of teams in the fourth tier would have been watching him play against their teams for donkey's years.

Fair play to him, it's an achievement to be considered worth a contract at that age.

When did Ellison play against City at Ninian Park and who was the future City player in the same team as him that day? There was also a current Premier League veteran in that side, who?
    Purely from memory that would be Cardiff 1 Hull 0 on 18 February 2006. Jon Parkin played in central defence for Hull and Mark Noble in midfield. If memory serves me well I think Cameron Jerome scored the only goal in the 22nd minute

For a bonus point which future England international did he appear with on a previous visit.

Jeff Eckhardt? 1994? Don’t know the veteran.

Thank god we plumped for Neil Harris rather than Mike Flynn.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Thank god we plumped for Neil Harris rather than Mike Flynn.
    I still cant believe some of our fans wanted Flynn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Scary

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Jeff Eckhardt? 1994? Don’t know the veteran.
    Sorry, Cyrilwas 100 per cent correct, even down to when Jerome scored - it's uncanny!

As for Cyril's question, my guess is he must have been with Stockport when Carlton Palmer was their manager, but his England day's were long over then - was it John Ruddy?

He's young and Welsh! What more could you want in a manager?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He's young and Welsh! What more could you want in a manager?
    He's also just had the one, very disappointing, season since he went into management - possibly he started to believe all the hype about him, but his record at Newport was a superb one until the season just ended.

He said that he felt' A tingle and a buzz' which is surprising at his age.

Sorry, Cyrilwas 100 per cent correct, even down to when Jerome scored - it's uncanny!

As for Cyril's question, my guess is he must have been with Stockport when Carlton Palmer was their manager, but his England day's were long over then - was it John Ruddy?
    Apologies Bob, badly worded as it was indeed Stockport but it was the away game.

It'll be interesting to come back to this thread at the end of the season, just to see how he got on. Newport are on a very tight budget, and I would suppose this guy was a bit cheaper than most. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for County, so I hope he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It'll be interesting to come back to this thread at the end of the season, just to see how he got on. Newport are on a very tight budget, and I would suppose this guy was a bit cheaper than most. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for County, so I hope he does well.
    Your question was driving me mad and I had to look the game up - I would never have got him because I'd convinced myself that it was a kid who was there on loan.

Quite a lot of fans cried when we appointed Harris

Scary
    Bm’d

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Bm’d
    Pardon?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Quite a lot of fans cried when we appointed Harris
    Ye. I clearly remember the rest of you confidently predicting he’d get us into the play offs too. Easy to be a smart arse with the benefit of hindsight.

Let’s see what he does next season anyway. Will be interested to hear what you Harris disciples have to say if we get a mid table finish playing average football.

As for Flynn. He has done a superb job. You lot speak about him as if he’s got the club relegated in consecutive seasons on a huge budget. And before you scoff re. his teams playing style , I’ll remind you that you’ve been in watching Warnock and Harris football for thw last 4 seasons....in a league that is supposed to be more sophisticated than League Two.....oh and also after having “invested” 50 million on playing staff. Compare that to what Flynn has had over the same period.

Ye. I clearly remember the rest of you confidently predicting he’d get us into the play offs too. Easy to be a smart arse with the benefit of hindsight.

Let’s see what he does next season anyway. Will be interested to hear what you Harris disciples have to say if we get a mid table finish playing average football.

As for Flynn. He has done a superb job. You lot speak about him as if he’s got the club relegated in consecutive seasons on a huge budget. And before you scoff re. his teams playing style , I’ll remind you that you’ve been in watching Warnock and Harris football for thw last 4 seasons....in a league that is supposed to be more sophisticated than League Two.....oh and also after having “invested” 50 million on playing staff. Compare that to what Flynn has had over the same period.
    Flynn is no more than a league two manager

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Maybe.

However, any manager that can get his/her team competing at the top end of the division on a budget of next to nothing, regardless of the level, should be considered a decent manager.

I find it difficult to see why Harris can be considered a Championship manager and Flynn can’t. Harris is primitive.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well, you're not wrong there, but for about three quarters of his time at Newport, his record has suggested he could do better than that level - there was another reminder regarding that yesterday, unlike us, the jacks do not tend to get embarrassed by lower league clubs in the early rounds of cups.

Maybe.

However, any manager that can get his/her team competing at the top end of the division on a budget of next to nothing, regardless of the level, should be considered a decent manager.

I find it difficult to see why Harris can be considered a Championship manager and Flynn can’t. Harris is primitive.
    That sounds like Harris's first three seasons in charge of Millwall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    That sounds like Harris's first three seasons in charge of Millwall.
    Didn’t say he wasn’t decent. Just primitive. Flynn might also be primitive. But he appears to get no credit and people seem to think Harris is the superior manager. I’d like to know what specific attributes Harris has that MF doesn’t....as opposed to the “ Ive been in this game for long enough now sonny to know that Flynn will never make it” type answers.

Didn’t say he wasn’t decent. Just primitive. Flynn might also be primitive. But he appears to get no credit and people seem to think Harris is the superior manager. I’d like to know what specific attributes Harris has that MF doesn’t....as opposed to the “ Ive been in this game for long enough now sonny to know that Flynn will never make it” type answers.
    A promotion on his CV and already managed in the championship for starters.

He has also shown himself to be far more than primitive in his 3/4 of a season with us. Slowly but surely we went from complete hoofball under Warnock to playing between the lines and scoring some terrific goals from open play post lockdown.

A promotion on his CV and already managed in the championship for starters.

He has also shown himself to be far more than primitive in his 3/4 of a season with us. Slowly but surely we went from complete hoofball under Warnock to playing between the lines and scoring some terrific goals from open play post lockdown.
    Attribute (noun) - A quality or feature regarded as a characteristic or inherent part of someone or something.
    ‘flexibility and mobility are the key attributes of Britain's army’

Another way to put it. What skills does he posses that Flynn doesn't ?

Maybe "primitive" is a bit harsh, but in footballing terms he doesn't appear to be the most ingenious manager in the world. A solid pro. But then again, so is Flynn.