+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Singers/Bands That Should Have Hung Their Mics Up ?

Singers/Bands That Should Have Hung Their Mics Up ?

I'm missing my concerts, and just booked OMD as per my other post. I also contemplated booking to see Blondie, another band i was a fan of back in the day. DH still has a voice but I think I'll give it a miss, not that I expect her to sound or look like she did in the 70s, she'll be 76 next year

I saw Tom Bailey a couple of years ago and thought he should of quit while he was ahead.

On a slightly separate theme I saw Gary Numan on the TV yesterday, he looked about 35 (he's 62)

Re: Singers/Bands That Should Have Hung Their Mics Up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I'm missing my concerts, and just booked OMD as per my other post. I also contemplated booking to see Blondie, another band i was a fan of back in the day. DH still has a voice but I think I'll give it a miss, not that I expect her to sound or look like she did in the 70s, she'll be 76 next year

I saw Tom Bailey a couple of years ago and thought he should of quit while he was ahead.

On a slightly separate theme I saw Gary Numan on the TV yesterday, he looked about 35 (he's 62)
    A question-I do enjoy music but was never one for gigs, to many people and a bit to noisy for my liking Do you still enjoy watching elderly artists in the same way you did when you were younger, when they were fresh etc? I don't want this to come across as rude, but isn't there an air of sadness watching someone struggle to perform at the level they once did, and not to mention plenty of the audience-i suppose what i'm saying, wouldn't it be better to leave it where it prospered, the Artist i mean.

I was an eighties-nineties child, the thought of revisiting those bands with a bunch of fat middle aged people fills me with dread, although i'm not saying that you're any of those things

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A question-I do enjoy music but was never one for gigs, to many people and a bit to noisy for my liking Do you still enjoy watching elderly artists in the same way you did when you were younger, when they were fresh etc? I don't want this to come across as rude, but isn't there an air of sadness watching someone struggle to perform at the level they once did, and not to mention plenty of the audience-i suppose what i'm saying, wouldn't it be better to leave it where it prospered, the Artist i mean.

I was an eighties-nineties child, the thought of revisiting those bands with a bunch of fat middle aged people fills me with dread, although i'm not saying that you're any of those things
    Im fat and late middle aged but still love a gig.

Im fat and late middle aged but still love a gig.
    Fair play

the boring stones for about 25 years ago

Old plastic face, Barry Manilow !!!

Looks like one of the Thunderbird puppets these days

Gary Numan still puts on a really good show. Hes got more energy now than when he just used to stand there looking all pale and moody.

The Manics are into their 50s and still put on a great show and produce great new music

I think it depends on the act, if they're still making music they tend to be a lot better than the likes of the Rolling Stones who have been playing the same set for about 25 years

I saw A Ha , Omd and Tom Bailey a year or two ago with the misses for her birthday and thought Omd were very good , Tom Bailey was decent and i enjoyed A Ha.
    We went to watch FYC who were very good last year

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The Manics are into their 50s and still put on a great show and produce great new music

I think it depends on the act, if they're still making music they tend to be a lot better than the likes of the Rolling Stones who have been playing the same set for about 25 years
    I suppose it depends on the genre of music to a certain degree. There's nothing more less attractive than watching old people trying to throw shapes, and not in an ironic way either, makes me positively sick

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I saw A Ha , Omd and Tom Bailey a year or two ago with the misses for her birthday and thought Omd were very good , Tom Bailey was decent and i enjoyed A Ha.
    We went to watch FYC who were very good last year
    That's the trio that I saw, I was at the Abbey Stadium in Cambridge. Last time I was there was 1983/4 watching City.

I saw OMD in Lisbon last year as well.

😂😂😂 Numan looked what he was a 60 year old with his hair dyed black. 35?? I thought sort your hair out mate your getting on a bit.

I enjoyed his interview though.

I read the other day that Genesis are putting on a tour , with new music.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    ������ Numan looked what he was a 60 year old with his hair dyed black. 35?? I thought sort your hair out mate your getting on a bit.

I enjoyed his interview though.
    Is that his real hair ?

No sure that's his hair. I think it may be removable.
    😂😂take it off and hed look 72.

That's the trio that I saw, I was at the Abbey Stadium in Cambridge. Last time I was there was 1983/4 watching City.

I saw OMD in Lisbon last year as well.
    We saw them in Blackpool the same year

Rod Stewart, I really like him but he is awful now. The Who. And let's face it the Beatles have done **** all for nearly 50 years.

I Saw Bruce Springsteen a few years ago.
    Unbelievable energy, I was pushed off for having to stand for three hours and he was rocking out like a teenager.

Depeche Mode were similarly energetic as were New Order a year or so ago.

I think that outfits like this just love performing live and it shows.

Annie Lennox
    Elton John
    Paul McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Annie Lennox
    Elton John
    Paul McCartney
    One good thing about Glastonbury being cancelled was Paul McCartney not being able to headline.

Tuerto you sound as ageist as my sister !!

Seriously though, watching highly talented musicians still able to knock out a good tune is one of life's pleasures in my eyes. I accept that sometimes their voices are not quite what they were and yes some of them would be better hanging up their microphones. But that is not always the case. Gary Brooker of Procol Harum is a case in point. I was lucky enough to see them last year and his voice is as strong now as it was in the 1960's when he sang A Whiter Shade of Pale.

What would be sad in my eyes is if someone like Robert Plant of Led Zep still posed and flounced about on stage now they're in their 70's. However seeing someone who used to be hip in their heyday dressed more conservatively on stage or having grey hair and a bit of a belly is neither here nor there. If their stage presence, energy of performance and musicianship remains undiminished by the passage of time, who cares how many candles are on their birthday cake !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Tuerto you sound as ageist as my sister !!

Seriously though, watching highly talented musicians still able to knock out a good tune is one of life's pleasures in my eyes. I accept that sometimes their voices are not quite what they were and yes some of them would be better hanging up their microphones. But that is not always the case. Gary Brooker of Procol Harum is a case in point. I was lucky enough to see them last year and his voice is as strong now as it was in the 1960's when he sang A Whiter Shade of Pale.

What would be sad in my eyes is if someone like Robert Plant of Led Zep still posed and flounced about on stage now they're in their 70's. However seeing someone who used to be hip in their heyday dressed more conservatively on stage or having grey hair and a bit of a belly is neither here nor there. If their stage presence, energy of performance and musicianship remains undiminished by the passage of time, who cares how many candles are on their birthday cake !
    You're right, i suppose that i'm going down the more popular kind of music where people in their 40s are so obviously attempting to rekindle their youth. I know it's me, but i find it so very unattractive. On the odd occasion i've been in one of those situations where the mums are up dancing to Duran Duran, or the aunties favourite, 'simply the best' i have to leave through fear of vomiting. Seeing middle aged women dancing badly and doing the only move they know in order to prevent 'leakage' turns my stomach. Yes, it is strange

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    They always put on a good show to be fair, doesnt matter the location either, from a small gig to a festival

Sabbath should have called it a day in 1998 , I saw them at Milton Keynes bowl , they were fantastic but looked on their last legs

But they went on and on

Rolling stones bunch of jokers

Genesis christ thats scraping the barrel

Springsteen is a fantastic performer, he will keep going

Yes , Robert Plant , Floyd all dinosaurs

As for this eighties revival type tours what a load of bollocks , dreadful chart music performed by grannies

You're right, i suppose that i'm going down the more popular kind of music where people in their 40s are so obviously attempting to rekindle their youth. I know it's me, but i find it so very unattractive. On the odd occasion i've been in one of those situations where the mums are up dancing to Duran Duran, or the aunties favourite, 'simply the best' i have to leave through fear of vomiting. Seeing middle aged women dancing badly and doing the only move they know in order to prevent 'leakage' turns my stomach. Yes, it is strange
    Well I can't argue with that logic !