+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nobby Stiles RIP

Nobby Stiles RIP

I’ve just seen on FB, that Nobby has passed away aged 78. Sad news but possibly a blessing, as he was suffering from Alzheimer’s or Dementia.

Re: Nobby Stiles RIP

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I’ve just seen on FB, that Nobby has passed away aged 78. Sad news but possibly a blessing, as he was suffering from Alzheimer’s or Dementia.
    He hasn't been in the best of health for a decade or more. Following on from the recent loss of Jack Charlton, that's the two players critics of Alf Ramsey centred on gone from the 1966 team now. I must admit, I didn't see what Nobby Stiles bought to the England team, but I was too young then to appreciate what are called the dark arts of the game these days.

Only a few weeks ago, I listened to an interview with Nobby on Test Match Special from about thirty years ago where he came over really well as a decent and genuine man who didn't let his fame go to his head - he also loved cricket and was very knowledgable about it.

RIP

RIP Nobby, I’ve only ever heard of two people named Norbert and the other one was a footballer of the same era, Nobby Lawton of Preston. Nobby Stiles also had the distinction of a tribute (sort of)strip in Viz, Nobby’s Piles.

One fo the sights of the World Cup Final in 1966 was Nobby dancing around afterwards with the cup on his head. RIP to a real character of the game. I think I saw him play for Middlesbrough and Preston against City at NP.

Quite a character old skool , tenacious tough player , never see the like again , as Cardiff55 points put his sort of gallopjng horse dancing moment was priceless, , along with his toothless grin as he held his medal highland proud , bless him . RIP Nobby.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Quite a character old skool , tenacious tough player , never see the like again , as Cardiff55 points put his sort of gallopjng horse dancing moment was priceless, , along with his toothless grin as he held his medal highland proud , bless him . RIP Nobby.
    It was the World Cup itself, not his medal.

First Team

RIP Nobby and thank you for the memories.
    A real footballing man and a throughly decent person who remembered his roots and never stopped giving back to the game until his health failed him.
    Shame on the FA and PFA who failed to help him when his issues became apparent and he had to flog his medals to meet the bills.