+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else considering not going back?

Re: Anyone else considering not going back?

I’ve wondered recently if people would get used to staying away. Personally I can’t wait to get back despite some benefits of watching at home. Saw the Wolves promotion game on sky the other night. What an atmosphere. Made me realise what is missing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    This forced break we’ve encountered from attending games and other restrictions we’ve faced, has really made me take stock of my life and make some decisions. 60 in 3 yrs time, and after ‘going down the City’ since i was 11, and travelling to many away games, I’ve decided to throw in the towel.
    Thinking of coinciding retirement, with moving away from Cardiff and spending my autumn yrs in a cottage on the coast somewhere in west Wales.
    Kids grown up and away from the nest, coupled with the reality of how life can be snuffed out in a heartbeat, along with the reality of what a pandemic can do, has made my wife and i re-evaluate almost everything.
    I'm debating it, the rebrand killed off most of my passion, modern football is generally shite and this may well be the final nail in the coffin for me.

Might be a relief the fact no one can go this season, looks like we might just stay up.....

No

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Sorry to pee on your chips but don't you have to be a registered resident in Spain and Greece before 31/12/20 to live the dream?
    I don't know, although seeing as i'm in no position to go and live in either country, it doesn't really matter that much. One thing is certain though, i wont be retiring to West Wales, way to wet and grey for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't know, although seeing as i'm in no position to go and live in either country, it doesn't really matter that much. One thing is certain though, i wont be retiring to West Wales, way to wet and grey for my liking.
    It's almost like Brexit ended freedom of movement.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...-and-residency

So we have two strands to this thread - not continuing to watch City and moving away from this area.
    Even before the pandemic struck, I had decided I wasn't going to renew my ST if Harris was manager. I was bored at matches and simply didn't enjoy the football. It was the Slade era all over again - when I also didn't renew. I just cherry-picked the matches I fancied - usually against the better teams. I think my mindset is different to many on here - I'm a fan of football more than a fan of City. For me, over the last ten years, generally the football at CCS has been watchable.
    As regards moving away, its a total non-starter. We moved back to Cardiff when we started a family. We sat down and discussed where we wanted to live - and it could have been anywhere. We chose Cardiff - and it's been great living here.
    If folk want to move, I wonder if it's because they are not happy with their life's course and/or where they live. For me, I have several hobbies which I thoroughly enjoy. Researching local and family history. Writing. Playing guitar. Building guitars. Gardening. There's something there for every season and I tend to immerse myself deeply in my hobbies. In short, I love where I live and love how I spend my life. Why would I want the upheaval of a move away?

As some have alluded to, I think I have gone off City because of a combination of things...

1. The move to CCS. Ninian Park, despite being a shit hole, had bags more character and added loads as a backdrop to "the match day experience". Smells, noise. Very nostalgic.

2. Tan. The red thing. I know that Sam left us in the shit, but despite Tan's efforts in putting the club back on track financially, he seems to be in it for himself. SH, despite being wreck-less, did seem to be in it for the common good. That's just my impression.

3. The on-field "project". A number of managers that have played dull football with no view to a future. Very few Welsh or local players. No youngsters in the side.

.... I can honestly say that with the pandemic I have gone one/two/three games without knowing what the results had been. First time that has happened for many years.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    This forced break we’ve encountered from attending games and other restrictions we’ve faced, has really made me take stock of my life and make some decisions. 60 in 3 yrs time, and after ‘going down the City’ since i was 11, and travelling to many away games, I’ve decided to throw in the towel.
    Thinking of coinciding retirement, with moving away from Cardiff and spending my autumn yrs in a cottage on the coast somewhere in west Wales.
    Kids grown up and away from the nest, coupled with the reality of how life can be snuffed out in a heartbeat, along with the reality of what a pandemic can do, has made my wife and i re-evaluate almost everything.
    Get ready for the sticker shock when you head down west.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    As some have alluded to, I think I have gone off City because of a combination of things...

1. The move to CCS. Ninian Park, despite being a shit hole, had bags more character and added loads as a backdrop to "the match day experience". Smells, noise. Very nostalgic.

2. Tan. The red thing. I know that Sam left us in the shit, but despite Tan's efforts in putting the club back on track financially, he seems to be in it for himself. SH, despite being wreck-less, did seem to be in it for the common good. That's just my impression.

3. The on-field "project". A number of managers that have played dull football with no view to a future. Very few Welsh or local players. No youngsters in the side.

.... I can honestly say that with the pandemic I have gone one/two/three games without knowing what the results had been. First time that has happened for many years.
    Leaving Ninian was a stab in the heart, the rebrand pretty much machine gunned my head off and Covid may well be the final nail in the coffin.

I’ll be going back, but I’ll be cherry picking my games. No more season ticket as I won’t be bothering with the cold, dark, wet Tuesday night games. And anything that is televised means I’ll stay home or pop down the local.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

Tan seems to be in it for himself. SH, despite being wreck-less, did seem to be in it for the common good. That's just my impression.
    I'd love to know what you think Tan is getting out of this. The club is costing him a fortune. He lives so far away he can't be getting any enjoyment from a team that is awful to watch, has a disappointing manager, loads of disenchanted fans, an ageing squad and debts up to the top of his trousers with absolutely no chance of ever getting his money back.

O
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'd love to know what you think Tan is getting out of this. He has debts up to the top of his trousers
    Nobody, but nobody in the whole world has that much debt

With my girls saturday commitments i havent been a regular for a few years ( living away doesnt help either ) but i always get to games when we can

But since lockown has ended ive taken a interest in my local non-league team ( infact 2 local towns teams ) one of my local teams i have seen the Reserve's play, the A Team ( my daughters boyfriend plays for them both ) and the ladies team, For the last 5 - 6 weeks Ive seen 4 games per week, supported them with a few drinks in the clubhouse ( all socially distanced of course ), the reserves get maybe 100 fans watching, its a decent game, they play with passion and it looks like the game means something to them

not sure ive missed going to watch city games that much, which is a shame, yes of course i will still pop up and watch a few games when i can, yes i still look for the results ASAP or even watch via a stream ( when i can )

To be honest, I doubt this season will be finished.
    I also doubt football will ever be the same again.
    It's going to be a long time before we get big crowds back.
    This pandemic is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I loved Ninian Park, a complete dump but I have never taken to the new stadium

Away days used to be a regular thing for me

But life has changed for me and getting up at 7 am on a Saturday morning to travel up north just isn't an option

I have got back into fishing and walking

I have arthritis of the lower spine and sitting down for an hour and a half leaves me in a lot of pain

So I will be watching city at home less than I used to even when things get back to some sort of normality , which may be two years . And away games are a thing of the past .

But once a bluebird always a bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I loved Ninian Park, a complete dump but I have never taken to the new stadium

Away days used to be a regular thing for me

But life has changed for me and getting up at 7 am on a Saturday morning to travel up north just isn't an option

I have got back into fishing and walking

I have arthritis of the lower spine and sitting down for an hour and a half leaves me in a lot of pain

So I will be watching city at home less than I used to even when things get back to some sort of normality , which may be two years . And away games are a thing of the past .

But once a bluebird always a bluebird
    I know what you mean about Ninian Park. Even tough it was a stinking shithole, mostly empty and serving terrible football it was part of my soul in the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s....I don’t go much anyway these last few years, maybe after this break I might go a bit more?
    I doubt it though.

Following City is a metaphor for life. There will be good seasons, bad seasons and those of a more middling type. Embrace them all as we only have so many seasons in this life.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Following City is a metaphor for life. There will be good seasons, bad seasons and those of a more middling type. Embrace them all as we only have so many seasons in this life.
    Wise words, grasshopper!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wise words, grasshopper!
    Mindfulness meets Cardiff City

I wont be giving it up. For me, football is escapism, away from all of the other shit that isn't work etc. I most definitely need it in my life.
    I’m the same Dennis.

And I still love playing (badly) for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I’m the same Dennis.

And I still love playing (badly) for similar reasons.
    I don't play anymore, wouldn't mind having a go at 5 aside in one of those power league things though. My legs have gone, i can't put my foot through a ball like i once could.

Quote Originally Posted by SBF1 View Post
    To be honest, I doubt this season will be finished.
    I also doubt football will ever be the same again.
    It's going to be a long time before we get big crowds back.
    This pandemic is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    God knows what will be left of football when we do get crowds back.

I don't play anymore, wouldn't mind having a go at 5 aside in one of those power league things though. My legs have gone, i can't put my foot through a ball like i once could.
    Neither can I but that doesn’t stop me and my mates trying! 😂

For me, going to the football is what I miss more than anything else. I really, really miss it.

Everything about it. The smell of the grass. The wind in your face. The buzz of the crowd. The moaning, complaining, cheering & celebrating.

The walk up to the ground. Diuscussing the team. Who's in, who;s out. A pint pre match. Another at half time. Watching my lad peel the skin off his hot dog sausage before eating it.

Everything. The result doesnt matter so much to me. City is my escape.