+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else considering not going back?

Anyone else considering not going back?

This forced break we’ve encountered from attending games and other restrictions we’ve faced, has really made me take stock of my life and make some decisions. 60 in 3 yrs time, and after ‘going down the City’ since i was 11, and travelling to many away games, I’ve decided to throw in the towel.
    Thinking of coinciding retirement, with moving away from Cardiff and spending my autumn yrs in a cottage on the coast somewhere in west Wales.
    Kids grown up and away from the nest, coupled with the reality of how life can be snuffed out in a heartbeat, along with the reality of what a pandemic can do, has made my wife and i re-evaluate almost everything.

Re: Anyone else considering not going back?

You certainly realise that there are far more important things but I miss going down there with my dad. The build up to it, watching live sport, the feeling of properly celebrating goals (think I've managed a smile for our goals so far).

It puts things into perspective but no I can't wait to get back down there.

I wont be giving it up. For me, football is escapism, away from all of the other shit that isn't work etc. I most definitely need it in my life.

Hardly old is it, do that when you struggle to get out and about in my view, take up some more hobbies and get out at every opportunity even if its pissing down.
    Going down the City, is much more than 90 minutes of football, the build up beforehand, picking your starting 11, which you're convinced would easily win the game, the meet up with family and friends in the pub beforehand, the excitement of actually being there, the pub stop on the way back, catching up with old mates, dissecting the game, and talking about next Tuesday's or Saturday's team.
    I've had some great days at away games with some really good people, often interrupted by 90 minutes of tedium😁 and I wouldn't have swapped that for anything!!
    It might be a while before were back down the City, but I can't wait.

"a cottage on the coast". They don't come cheap. It's only 2hrs max. Go there for day trips/weekends. You'll be bored rigid after a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Hardly old is it, do that when you struggle to get out and about in my view, take up some more hobbies and get out at every opportunity even if its pissing down.
    Going down the City, is much more than 90 minutes of football, the build up beforehand, picking your starting 11, which you're convinced would easily win the game, the meet up with family and friends in the pub beforehand, the excitement of actually being there, the pub stop on the way back, catching up with old mates, dissecting the game, and talking about next Tuesday's or Saturday's team.
    I've had some great days at away games with some really good people, often interrupted by 90 minutes of tedium�� and I wouldn't have swapped that for anything!!
    It might be a while before were back down the City, but I can't wait.
    Well said. Particularly liked your bit about getting out, even if it's pissing down. The best medicine (for me)is getting out and feeling the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Well said. Particularly liked your bit about getting out, even if it's pissing down. The best medicine (for me)is getting out and feeling the elements.
    Today is perfect for that then. It will swing both ways I think, some will say they’ve had enough, others will think I need to get out more (as they’ve been locked up for so long). As for west wales, it’s nice to visit but not to live in my opinion. After living in Cardiff, it’s too slow and boring and the weather is definitely worse I have a place there, have lived there, and could move tomorrow, it’s not for me, not yet anyway.

The thought has crossed my mind given the crap were playing at the moment.

Stopping work through voluntary redundancy meant have the time (and money) to attend nearly all the home and away matches for several seasons on the trot. It was a way of life until lockdown. I hate to think how many miles I've clocked up over the years. Two things have changed that though. Lockdown and selling up the family home in Cardiff after 55 years. Nowhere to pop into before and (for many years) after a match travelling from and back to the Midlands. More recently I'd been stopping over due to parents illnesses. Now all that is gone. I certainly dont miss the travel, the long hours on coaches, driving, trains and tubes or the finding somewhere to park, walking (in the rain) to stadia.....for "90 minutes of tedium"! I do miss the banter, the "edge" at certain matches, the goal celebrations and those moments where the hair stands up on the back of your arm as the teams come out.....the anticipation and infrequent but ever-to-be-remembered moments. Those wins at home and away where you leave a match signing your head off on cloud 9. Might I add "draw" to that. Leeds. 3 nil down and we came back to draw. How there were no broken bones when the third went in, I don't know. Carnage.
    Will I stop going? No chance. CTID

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Today is perfect for that then. It will swing both ways I think, some will say they’ve had enough, others will think I need to get out more (as they’ve been locked up for so long). As for west wales, it’s nice to visit but not to live in my opinion. After living in Cardiff, it’s too slow and boring and the weather is definitely worse I have a place there, have lived there, and could move tomorrow, it’s not for me, not yet anyway.
    Work on the house beckons today. sadly. I wouldn't fancy living in West Wales, it's quite deprived in a lot of ways. I'd get bored after a while. I love the coast and the countryside but need a City to keep me entertained. I'll say this quietly, i've always found west walians a bit odd, the ones i've met down here are as tight as cramp as well!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    This forced break we’ve encountered from attending games and other restrictions we’ve faced, has really made me take stock of my life and make some decisions. 60 in 3 yrs time, and after ‘going down the City’ since i was 11, and travelling to many away games, I’ve decided to throw in the towel.
    Thinking of coinciding retirement, with moving AWAY FROM CARDIFF and spending my autumn yrs in a cottage on the coast somewhere in west Wales.
    Kids grown up and away from the nest, coupled with the reality of how life can be snuffed out in a heartbeat, along with the reality of what a pandemic can do, has made my wife and i re-evaluate almost everything.

Whilst it sounds idyllic and lots have done it successfully, I've had lots of elderly customers who had tried this, only to end in heart break. Some have moved, only to lose their partner and are then stuck in a place, where they know no-body and have gone into deep depression. Think about it carefully, personally, I just take more short breaks, in Wales, England or Scotland to fill our old age. Think carefully !!! As regards football, I'm undecided at the moment, but definitely missing mates, more than the football

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    The thought has crossed my mind given the crap were playing at the moment.
    Didn't go down in the 80's, I take it

Apologies in advance if you did

Work on the house beckons today. sadly. I wouldn't fancy living in West Wales, it's quite deprived in a lot of ways. I'd get bored after a while. I love the coast and the countryside but need a City to keep me entertained. I'll say this quietly, i've always found west walians a bit odd, the ones i've met down here are as tight as cramp as well!
    I think, as an escapee to Pembrokeshire of over 30 years I have to have my say.
    The place is not boring. Certainly you have to adjust to a new way of doing things but I can honestly say I've never been bored.
    I've missed little from Cardiff, apart from not being able to get to the football regularly and the occasional bit of culture at Chapter.
    I agree about the people though. The friends I've made, have pretty all been escapees as well. It is quite difficult to get close to the 'locals' who certainly have a different mindset to City dwellers.
    Having said all that, if your circumstances allow, go for it. You can always go back if you dont like it. W Wales is hardly the other side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Whilst it sounds idyllic and lots have done it successfully, I've had lots of elderly customers who had tried this, only to end in heart break. Some have moved, only to lose their partner and are then stuck in a place, where they know no-body and have gone into deep depression. Think about it carefully, personally, I just take more short breaks, in Wales, England or Scotland to fill our old age. Think carefully !!! As regards football, I'm undecided at the moment, but definitely missing mates, more than the football
    I would just add to my other post that I moved down here in my 30s, and i think that was a big advantage and now have my own family around me. Doing it later in life can be more problematic I agree, but Cardiff is still only a couple of hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    The place is not boring. Certainly you have to adjust to a new way of doing things but I can honestly say I've never been bored.
    I've missed little from Cardiff, apart from not being able to get to the football regularly and the occasional bit of culture at Chapter.
    I agree about the people though. The friends I've made, have pretty all been escapees as well. It is quite difficult to get close to the 'locals' who certainly have a different mindset to City dwellers.
    Having said all that, if your circumstances allow, go for it. You can always go back if you dont like it. W Wales is hardly the other side of the world.
    I'm glad you lie it so much, obviously, i don't really know how i'd react as i've never done it. I'm not a massive fan of Wales anyway, If i had an opportunity to move away from Cardiff, then greece would be my destination of choice, or northern Spain. Both have their problems similar to rural areas in this country, although i like the people and culture, and with a bit of land to keep me busy and a balcony to smoke Cigars on into the night i reckon that i would be quite happy!

I'm glad you LIE it so much, obviously, i don't really know how i'd react as i've never done it. I'm not a massive fan of Wales anyway, If i had an opportunity to move away from Cardiff, then greece would be my destination of choice, or northern Spain. Both have their problems similar to rural areas in this country, although i like the people and culture, and with a bit of land to keep me busy and a balcony to smoke Cigars on into the night i reckon that i would be quite happy!

I don't think he's telling porkies

I'm missing the football I'm missing my mates and beer too on match days.
    What I'm not missing are the late nights after midweek games. As I get older I struggle if I don't get a good nights kip, and while I can't wait to get back to normal, I'm not sure if my attendance at the night matches (which have always been special) is going to be as regular in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    One thing I found when me and my wife lived there for a year about 13 years ago was that almost instantly, everyone knew us and where we lived despite never noticing them before! Whereas here, I’m not sure who lives 10 houses up the street....
    Might be a bit OTT to say I find it boring as I’ve always plenty to do down there, I could spend years in the garden for starters, but it’s just not for me. I like to mix the busy with a bit of quiet so to escape every few months is perfect.
    Another thing for the OP, quite a few people are thinking of moving west as they believe they will always be working from home now so want a nicer space, prices have already risen in places like Nabarth (an hour ish from Cardiff) and I’m sure they will continue to farther west. You can get quite a lot for your Cardiff house out west too, detached, gardens and sea views for under 450k

I’ll still be going at this moment in time but you never really know until the time comes.
    There are other things that could change too,going to the pub As to drinking at home.use card payments as to cash,shopping in store as to deliveries and so on......

I'm glad you lie it so much, obviously, i don't really know how i'd react as i've never done it. I'm not a massive fan of Wales anyway, If i had an opportunity to move away from Cardiff, then greece would be my destination of choice, or northern Spain. Both have their problems similar to rural areas in this country, although i like the people and culture, and with a bit of land to keep me busy and a balcony to smoke Cigars on into the night i reckon that i would be quite happy!
    Mate of mine just moved to Kefalonia a year or so ago, loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Didn't go down in the 80's, I take it

Apologies in advance if you did
    Or Russel Slade days

Its in the blood now so I will return as soon as I can , the social side of the day with goods friends before and after the game are equally important to me , the whole event and day is very enjoyable missing it dreadfully .

I do miss it. Watching football with no crowds is soulless. The atmosphere is everything, even in 1990 when we had sub 2000 crowds, when just 2000 or so hardy should could be heard moaning! I think if I did move away I would manage without watching City, but being close to family is important. I had a house in the USA but sold it as it's different going on a holiday there to living there. With the internet these days, one place is pretty much like another. I have missed time down the City though, 1973/74 I cannot remember, 84/85 & 85/86 I think I only saw 1 game, and most of 2000/01, and only about 6 games in the Slade era too (it just felt hopeless then). But it's good now, decent players etc except we are not playing well at all and haven't for a long time.

My mate travels down from Leicester for home games, but I wouldn't travel that for for games. Radio Wales would do me.

Sorry to pee on your chips but don't you have to be a registered resident in Spain and Greece before 31/12/20 to live the dream?

To put it in simple terms, it’s 90 minutes in the middle of a good day out, looking forward to getting back to normality, fingers crossed.