+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The importance of conceding or scoring the first goal

The importance of conceding or scoring the first goal

We've conceded the first goal in 6 matches so far this season. We drew 3 and lost 3 of those games.

We've scored the first goal in 2 matches so far this season. We won both of those games.

Why do we start on the back foot so often?

Re: The importance of conceding or scoring the first goal

We've now conceded the first goal in 7 matches so far this season. We drew 3 and lost 4 of those games.

We've scored the first goal in 3 matches so far this season. We won all of of those games.

I think it’s the same for most clubs. Conceded the first and then it’s a real struggle.

We've now scored 13 and conceded 0 in games in which we scored first.

Didn't it take us something like 85 games under Dave Jones to concede first, but then come back to win?
    Sounds a bit vague I know but it rings a few bells.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Didn't it take us something like 85 games under Dave Jones to concede first, but then come back to win?
    I can't remember the exact details, but we definitely had a long run of games in which we could forget about winning if we conceded the first goal. I was going to say that it involved Lennie Lawrence's time in charge as well, but, thinking back, there was that Jason Koumas inspired 2-1 win over Leeds when we were losing at half time in Dave Jones' first home match in charge wasn't there - I think it may have taken us into the next season before we did it again though.

Just been doing some checking, that Leeds match was on 9/8/05 and I make it that the next time we won in the league after conceding first was at Norwich on 1/9/07 some ninety three games later.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    We came from 1-0 down to beat Leeds in Jones's home debut, then had to wait just over 2 years, 103 games later, to repeat the feat at Norwich.

Our overall record of winning after conceding first under Jones was never better than average for our league standings, though our record when scoring first was generally very good.

The accusations that he didn't have a plan B hold some water. I recall two radio interviews from the time. In one, the interviewer asked how Jones intended to stop the threat of the other side. The blunt reply was to ask how the interviewer thought City's opponents were going to handle Cardiff. Jay Bothroyd also commented how we did very little preparation on what the opposing team might so, preferring to concentrate on what we did.