+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Millwall fan on Harris.......

A Millwall fan on Harris.......

“........At Millwall he showed that mid table management ability is the best he is capable of.

Hugely limited tactically (have you had the 85 minute pointlessly late substitutions yet?) his success is based on building a great team spirit and being tough and giving 100%.

When that is not enough he sadly is incapable of ever accepting his limitations and starts lashing out at the team in public. That leads to dressing room discontent and it all falls apart.

He will have 1 or 2 chosen ones that he plays no matter how bad their form is that will have you scratching your head in bewilderment.

Watching unattractive football is okay if you are least getting results but when everyone works you out and the results start turning, then not so much. He left us with some players on big wages that were bought purely out of desperation and now sit on the bench running down their contracts whilst doing bugger all for the money.

We are not completely there yet but Rowett has us playing much better football and has the ability to change things (maybe too much at the moment) from game to game.

Harris is a nice bloke, was a great third tier player and will eventually end up settling at that level for management too.

I can't see him lasting the season for you as Cardiff are definitely a side that should be capable of top 6 year in year out.

Good luck for the rest of the season and I hope he proves me wrong.

A Millwall fan since 1968.
    doug...”

Re: A Millwall fan on Harris.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    “........At Millwall he showed that mid table management ability is the best he is capable of.

Hugely limited tactically (have you had the 85 minute pointlessly late substitutions yet?) his success is based on building a great team spirit and being tough and giving 100%.

When that is not enough he sadly is incapable of ever accepting his limitations and starts lashing out at the team in public. That leads to dressing room discontent and it all falls apart.

He will have 1 or 2 chosen ones that he plays no matter how bad their form is that will have you scratching your head in bewilderment.

Watching unattractive football is okay if you are least getting results but when everyone works you out and the results start turning, then not so much. He left us with some players on big wages that were bought purely out of desperation and now sit on the bench running down their contracts whilst doing bugger all for the money.

We are not completely there yet but Rowett has us playing much better football and has the ability to change things (maybe too much at the moment) from game to game.

Harris is a nice bloke, was a great third tier player and will eventually end up settling at that level for management too.

I can't see him lasting the season for you as Cardiff are definitely a side that should be capable of top 6 year in year out.

doug...”
    So he had Millwall punching above their weight then.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    So he had Millwall punching above their weight then.?
    I think that we all knew this from the very start but have been waiting for him to show us otherwise.

doug...”
    That was the Millwall team which finished below us last season.........

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    That was the Millwall team which finished below us last season.........
    Right from the first sentence, it's wrong. Taking a team from mid table to a Play Off place shows more than "mid table management ability". This is probably Neil Harris' worst time at City so far and our start to the season does raise questions, but what he did at the back end of last season cannot be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Right from the first sentence, it's wrong. Taking a team from mid table to a Play Off place shows more than "mid table management ability". This is probably Neil Harris' worst time at City so far and our start to the season does raise questions, but what he did at the back end of last season cannot be ignored.
    Agree.

He deserves the chance to turn this around.

Think he should go personally if we lose again or fal to show any real promise in the next two games.. question is though who the hell replaces him.?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Think he should go personally if we lose again or fal to show any real promise in the next two games.. question is though who the hell replaces him.?
    I dont want him to go.

But if he would come Nigel Pearson if Harris does go.

Yeah who would be better? We don’t seem to fair too well when it comes to finding decent managers

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I dont want him to go.

But if he would come Nigel Pearson if Harris does go.
    Good shout - would have some confidence in him.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yeah who would be better? We don’t seem to fair too well when it comes to finding decent managers
    Probably because we have no one at board level that has football knowledge

I didn't fancy us for promotion before the season started, and I don't now. And that's probably more down to the squad and the board than Harris. As long as we're not in danger of getting relegated, he can stay as far as I'm concerned. Unless we can replace him with an obviously better manager then I'm not interested at the moment. If we can line up a Nigel Pearson or an Eddie Howe, I'd say go for it. But I wouldn't trust the board to have the wherewithal to consider that or get it done anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I didn't fancy us for promotion before the season started, and I don't now. And that's probably more down to the squad and the board than Harris. As long as we're not in danger of getting relegated, he can stay as far as I'm concerned. Unless we can replace him with an obviously better manager then I'm not interested at the moment. If we can line up a Nigel Pearson or an Eddie Howe, I'd say go for it. But I wouldn't trust the board to have the wherewithal to consider that or get it done anyway.
    I agree with most of your comments, however, when Warnock left the club I really thought we would bring in a manager with a fresh approach and someone who would work on changing our style.
    I posted on the MB quite a few times that mid table mediocrity would be more than acceptable if the fans could see progress on the football front.
    My fear is that we will continue to lose valuable time in any re build while we hold onto a junior Warnock.
    I ham in my 60th year of going down the City (obviously not going at the moment) but I really feel deflated when City keep faith with Harris.
    If he went would the board make an intelligent appointment ? I somehow doubt it.

If they get rid of Harris, I really hope they don’t go for Michael Flynn.

I love County, and he’s doing a great job there, but this job is far too big for him at this stage of his career, and I don’t think the players would have enough respect for him.

In an ideal world, I’d like Howe or Jokanovic, both of which may be unrealistic.

But Pearson is a realistic choice, and is a strong personality with a track record of getting a team out of this division, and he’s not a guy who’ll tolerate any players shirking or downing tools!

First Team

doug...”
    Compare that statement with what Harris himself said yesterday and you can see there are grains of truth in Doug's statement.

Harris' biggest complaint yesterday was about players not winning second balls and effort. My biggest complaint was I saw no obvious pattern in our play. For the last few days I have been musing over who is playing where and why. In the two first halves against Derby and QPR I couldn't figure out where Pack and Ojo were supposedly playing. They had zero influence on the games.

A big indictment for me is Harris' transfers. Why get rid of Peltier and rely on (an admittedly talented but) unknown RB? Bacuna is not a good fullback but it's not his fault. Why not sign Gunther when we could? He is clueless about the midfield which has been an increasing problem since the Whittingham/Gunnar days. We have Pack who is slower than a slug and has a set of misplaced passes in him in every game and three "ratter" types in Ralls, Bacuna and Vaulks. Yet who do sign? Another winger, a forward, a replacement goalkeeper and the aforementioned fullback.

Well I say a winger but is Ojo one? I can see Ojo has qualities but he's a luxury player. He constantly gives the ball away, wanders around the front line and isn't that good at tracking back. Tomlin is another luxury player as is Murphy. In short we have too many. Oh for a Dougie Livermore, Paul Ramsey, Kav or McPhail.

Why bring on Harris yesterday with a few minutes to go in a game you're about to lose? "There you go kid, saves." a joke.

I see zero progression. Watch the games. Every time we get the ball it goes something like this: pass sideways among the defenders, finally slip it to a midfielder who is marked and has zero forward options, he lays it back for a long ball forwards for a "fight" ball we lose.

I could go on.

Am I frustrated? Yes.

Do I still support them team? Yes.

But Harris has to go and the sooner, the better. We need to move on. Get someone progressive in. Eddie Howe please.

It's what we already knew, he's a poor version of Warnock, the exact manager we didn't need.

That was his first away loss in the league since when?

You lot really are the worst at times

Few posters making plans for Nigel by the looks

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

For some that will fly over their heads, but deserves appreciation! 👏

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Compare that statement with what Harris himself said yesterday and you can see there are grains of truth in Doug's statement.

Harris' biggest complaint yesterday was about players not winning second balls and effort. My biggest complaint was I saw no obvious pattern in our play. For the last few days I have been musing over who is playing where and why. In the two first halves against Derby and QPR I couldn't figure out where Pack and Ojo were supposedly playing. They had zero influence on the games.

A big indictment for me is Harris' transfers. Why get rid of Peltier and rely on (an admittedly talented but) unknown RB? Bacuna is not a good fullback but it's not his fault. Why not sign Gunther when we could? He is clueless about the midfield which has been an increasing problem since the Whittingham/Gunnar days. We have Pack who is slower than a slug and has a set of misplaced passes in him in every game and three "ratter" types in Ralls, Bacuna and Vaulks. Yet who do sign? Another winger, a forward, a replacement goalkeeper and the aforementioned fullback.

Well I say a winger but is Ojo one? I can see Ojo has qualities but he's a luxury player. He constantly gives the ball away, wanders around the front line and isn't that good at tracking back. Tomlin is another luxury player as is Murphy. In short we have too many. Oh for a Dougie Livermore, Paul Ramsey, Kav or McPhail.

Why bring on Harris yesterday with a few minutes to go in a game you're about to lose? "There you go kid, saves." a joke.

I see zero progression. Watch the games. Every time we get the ball it goes something like this: pass sideways among the defenders, finally slip it to a midfielder who is marked and has zero forward options, he lays it back for a long ball forwards for a "fight" ball we lose.

I could go on.

Am I frustrated? Yes.

But Harris has to go and the sooner, the better. We need to move on. Get someone progressive in. Eddie Howe please.
    Good post, lots of valid points.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    That was his first away loss in the league since when?

You lot really are the worst at times
    Home and away aren't as comparable without fans. I think people can see the results and performances and make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Clever 😀
    Always found that a strange tune

Can the posters calling for Howe answer how we could play quicker passing football with our current midfield?

Harris isn't doing at the moment but we have bounced from managers with drastically different style between Dave Jones leaving and Warnock leaving and it, for the most part, meant very active transfer windows but not always great improvements in results. Harris is a change from that short term thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Can the posters calling for Howe answer how we could play quicker passing football with our current midfield?

Harris isn't doing at the moment but we have bounced from managers with drastically different style between Dave Jones leaving and Warnock leaving and it, for the most part, meant very active transfer windows but not always great improvements in results. Harris is a change from that short term thinking.
    You can't polish a turd. Modern football is based on good technical ability and pace. The majority of our players have neither. Not sure what a new manager could do to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

I could go on.

Am I frustrated? Yes.

Our transfer policy this summer was pretty clearly "one out, one in" and all the midfielders have multiple years left on their contracts. As for Peltier, he's 33 years old and such a limited footballer that Osei-Tutu looks like Cafu in comparison.