+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sir Bobby Charlton has Dementia

Sir Bobby Charlton has Dementia

Just announced on Sky

Re: Sir Bobby Charlton has Dementia

Just four left from the World Cup winning side now, right back George Cohen (who had his serious health issues as a middle aged man) and three most attacking players in the team, Geoff Hurst, Roger Hunt and Bobby Charlton - from what I remember of his career, Bobby Charlton's dementia was probably not down to how often he headed the ball during his career.

Poor bloke , dreadful illness, lost my dad to it and now my mother has it

The long goodbye

Brian Clark also fell to its clutches

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just four left from the World Cup winning side now, right back George Cohen (who had his serious health issues as a middle aged man) and three most attacking players in the team, Geoff Hurst, Roger Hunt and Bobby Charlton - from what I remember of his career, Bobby Charlton's dementia was probably not down to how often he headed the ball during his career.
    May have been caused by hitting his head in frustration on and off the field over George Best?

First Team

It really has been a bad few days for some of the sporting giants of my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

The long goodbye

Gosh that must have been tough watching both parents suffer in that way , I do feel for you you .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think his brother Jack had Dementia

The long goodbye

Sorry to hear this Sludge. Stay safe mate.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    It really has been a bad few days for some of the sporting giants of my childhood.

Unfortunately I don't think Jimmy Greaves is long for this world.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gosh that must have been tough watching both parents suffer in that way , I do feel for you you .
    Its why I think God doesn't exist , in any way

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Sorry to hear this Sludge. Stay safe mate.
    Spedger
    You too mate

Read an article on Bobby many moons ago about how he would stay behind after training and practice his shooting from all different angles trying to get the ball in the white rectangle known commonly as the goals. Bobby's theory was get the ball on target and if the goalie saves it then fair enough. I am reminded of this during every match i watch when I see these overpaid prima donnas blasting ball after ball over the bar from a few yards out.

The long goodbye

sorry to hear that mate my dad has it and its horrible

My Mam had it for the last year or two of her life, longer most probably thinking about it. We lost her 15 years ago and time has led us to believe that it was for the best, her quality of life nosedived considerably. Only these last few years we’ve been able to look back with a bit of humour at some of the weird things she’d come out with. Horrible ailment that very often strips someone of their dignity, as I say time is a healer and, I know that it’s extremely black humour, recalling some of the things that she came out with, things that were very unlike her, does make us laugh now. Strength and commiserations to anyone coping with it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    sorry to hear that mate my dad has it and its horrible
    Indeed it is mate , get as much support as you can

Get an admiral nurse, from dementia UK

Contact the alzheimers society as well

Both organisations have websites with loads of info

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My Mam had it for the last year or two of her life, longer most probably thinking about it. We lost her 15 years ago and time has led us to believe that it was for the best, her quality of life nosedived considerably. Only these last few years we’ve been able to look back with a bit of humour at some of the weird things she’d come out with. Horrible ailment that very often strips someone of their dignity, as I say time is a healer and, I know that it’s extremely black humour, recalling some of the things that she came out with, things that were very unlike her, does make us laugh now. Strength and commiserations to anyone coping with it at the moment.
    My old man died aged 84 but I reckon he was ill from about 70 . He stopped coming down the city with me, he lost interest in slagging off the tories on question Time, became forgetful . He was diagnosed 4 years before his death , once he was diagnosed he went downhill rapidly . My mother has delirium at the moment but the psychiatrist thinks its covering up dementia . As you say its a fecking horrible way to go .

Take care