+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I really do wonder about some of our fans

Re: I really do wonder about some of our fans

Sludge, I would say it's all about expectations.

After our promotion immediately after World War 2, we have spent 53 of the 73 seasons inside the top 2 tiers of English football. Between 85/86 and 02/03, we did spend 18 seasons in the bottom two divisions. Since then we've spent 18 seasons above that level. At the end of this season, we'll have spend as long above the bottom two tiers as we spent inside it during those woeful years.

During those 18 seasons we've only been threatened with relegation once, in our second season back in 2004/05. Even then, we were never in the bottom 3 after October. As bad as we started under Trollope, I can't imagine that we were really relegation candidates and I believed that we'd always pull through.

We've not finished in the bottom half of the Championship in our last 10 seasons there, during which time we've won 2 automatic promotions and finished in the playoffs on another 4 occasions. There's also the infamous collapse of the 2008/09 season. 7 of our last 10 Championship seasons have seen a promotion bid. Slade's side finished 8th as well, even though it never really looked like getting in to the top 6 and we've had 2 other top half finishes.

Since that 2003 promotion, only 19 other sides have remained inside the top 2 divisions. We haven't joined the likes of Bolton, Blackpool, Charlton, Sunderland, Wigan, Hull and Bradford, who have dropped out of the top 2 divisions despite playing in the Premier League.

The 18 years we spent in the bottom two divisions, while never to be forgotten, should be about as relevant to fans' current expectation levels as the colour of my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

After our promotion immediately after World War 2, we have spent 53 of the 73 seasons inside the top 2 tiers of English football. Between 85/86 and 02/03, we did spend 18 seasons in the bottom two divisions. Since then we've spent 18 seasons above that level. At the end of this season, we'll have spend as long above the bottom two tiers as we spent inside it during those woeful years.

During those 18 seasons we've only been threatened with relegation once, in our second season back in 2004/05. Even then, we were never in the bottom 3 after October. As bad as we started under Trollope, I can't imagine that we were really relegation candidates and I believed that we'd always pull through.

We've not finished in the bottom half of the Championship in our last 10 seasons there, during which time we've won 2 automatic promotions and finished in the playoffs on another 4 occasions. There's also the infamous collapse of the 2008/09 season. 7 of our last 10 Championship seasons have seen a promotion bid. Slade's side finished 8th as well, even though it never really looked like getting in to the top 6 and we've had 2 other top half finishes.

Since that 2003 promotion, only 19 other sides have remained inside the top 2 divisions. We haven't joined the likes of Bolton, Blackpool, Charlton, Sunderland, Wigan, Hull and Bradford, who have dropped out of the top 2 divisions despite playing in the Premier League.

The 18 years we spent in the bottom two divisions, while never to be forgotten, should be about as relevant to fans' current expectation levels as the colour of my pants.
    What colour are...........

Oh never mind

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No manager will ever be good enough for you , all you ever do is moan about the team you say you support
    Well that patently isn't true, if you paid attention.

At least I have some objectivity without blindly following which ever manager is in charge (we all blindly follow the team, but that is our penance being Cardiff City fans) - I'm presuming that you blindly followed Trollope and OGS from your comments?

Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No manager will ever be good enough for you , all you ever do is moan about the team you say you support
    This. He never stood a chance with some.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    I wasn’t Warnock’s biggest fan towards the end, but I think he would have took us to the Playoffs at least and we’d have had more chance of going up (Harris picking Pack in the Fulham games cost us).
    Well that's that then. Obviously a grievous error as Warnock was obviously going to get us promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    What colour are...........

Oh never mind
    Depends on the time of day.

In the 'modern era' of football, ie since TV money and rich owners dominated the game in the top 2 divisions, it's been easier but much more competitive, to achieve a decent level of success. It's enabled clubs like Bournemouth, Watford, Swansea, etc., to have significant spells in the PL with crowds barely touching 20k. This season has been frustrating, especially as it's obvious there's not a lot of football know-how within the club, but pretty much 20 out of the 24 Championship sides can have aspirations of reaching the play offs, so I'd concur. What's a sad indictment of the Club since 1962 however is that we've had just 2 seasons in the top flight out of 58 - a poor return for a City of Cardiff's status.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    In the 'modern era' of football, ie since TV money and rich owners dominated the game in the top 2 divisions, it's been easier but much more competitive, to achieve a decent level of success. It's enabled clubs like Bournemouth, Watford, Swansea, etc., to have significant spells in the PL with crowds barely touching 20k. This season has been frustrating, especially as it's obvious there's not a lot of football know-how within the club, but pretty much 20 out of the 24 Championship sides can have aspirations of reaching the play offs, so I'd concur. What's a sad indictment of the Club since 1962 however is that we've had just 2 seasons in the top flight out of 58 - a poor return for a City of Cardiff's status.
    Here's all the sides that have spent more time in the top division than us since the 60s.

Huddersfield Town
    Bristol City
    Notts County
    AFC Bournemouth
    Hull City
    Oldham Athletic
    Brighton & Hove Albion
    Wigan Athletic
    Portsmouth
    Swansea City
    Blackpool
    Luton Town
    Charlton Athletic
    Watford
    Wimbledon
    Sheffield United
    Bolton Wanderers
    Burnley
    Fulham
    Crystal Palace
    Derby County
    Birmingham City
    Queens Park Rangers
    Middlesbrough
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Norwich City
    Sunderland
    Ipswich Town
    Stoke City
    Blackburn Rovers
    Sheffield Wednesday
    West Bromwich Albion
    Nottingham Forest
    Leicester City
    Leeds United
    Coventry City
    Southampton
    Newcastle United
    Aston Villa
    Manchester City
    West Ham United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Manchester United
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    This. He never stood a chance with some.
    See above (but yes, Harris was very few people's first choice)

Here's all the sides that have spent more time in the top division than us since the 60s.

Huddersfield Town
    Bristol City
    Notts County
    AFC Bournemouth
    Hull City
    Oldham Athletic
    Brighton & Hove Albion
    Wigan Athletic
    Portsmouth
    Swansea City
    Blackpool
    Luton Town
    Charlton Athletic
    Watford
    Wimbledon
    Sheffield United
    Bolton Wanderers
    Burnley
    Fulham
    Crystal Palace
    Derby County
    Birmingham City
    Queens Park Rangers
    Middlesbrough
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Norwich City
    Sunderland
    Ipswich Town
    Stoke City
    Blackburn Rovers
    Sheffield Wednesday
    West Bromwich Albion
    Nottingham Forest
    Leicester City
    Leeds United
    Coventry City
    Southampton
    Newcastle United
    Aston Villa
    Manchester City
    West Ham United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Manchester United
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Everton
    47. That list should be pinned up on the wall of the City boardroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    See above (but yes, Harris was very few people's first choice)

Very true, never wanted him never liked him and don't rate him. If we went up he had to be replaced for sure. When we didn't he had a second chance but has produced what most people expect and needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Why might it not have been ‘the team got us to the Playoffs’, in spite of Harris?

All these posters saying we ‘over achieved’ getting to the Playoffs, is absolute nonsense.

I would say our squad and the strength in depth (in spite of a few bum signings), was easily good enough for top 6 last season.

With a hard core of players who’d only been relegated from the Premier League, by two points.

I wasn’t Warnock’s biggest fan towards the end, but I think he would have took us to the Playoffs at least and we’d have had more chance of going up (Harris picking Pack in the Fulham games cost us).

His track record shows, there is no better qualified manager at this level, to get a team promoted.

Harris was a terrible uninspiring appointment, for a team with promotion aspirations.

Look how Millwall dramatically improved since he left, look what Cooper has/is doing at Swansea, with limited resources.

I don’t believe the players respect him or he has the dressing room,

As someone else has posted on this thread, there may be a falling out within the dressing room due to the background of NML’s departure.

We should be busting a guy to entice Howe (which may be unrealistic), or Pearson.

Pearson is a strong personality who would take no crap from the players.

I like Jokanovic as my number 1 choice, but someone pointed out in situ overseas.

If we’re looking for a new manager i really hope the board don’t go for Michael Flynn.

I love the County and he’s doing a great job, but he doesn’t have the experience for a big job like this.
    You are like an annoying stuck record. You only post on here after we lose a couple of games or aren't playing particularly well. Its all drivel and you love starting a rumour. PS. Which guy would you bust to get Howe ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Very true, never wanted him never liked him and don't rate him. If we went up he had to be replaced for sure. When we didn't he had a second chance but has produced what most people expect and needs to be replaced.
    After 9 games !!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    47. That list should be pinned up on the wall of the City boardroom.
    In most of the tables I've seen which try to put clubs in some sort of order based on historical achievement, trophies won etc. City tend to be in the 30 to 35 range. Given the growth of Cardiff since the fifties, that list Eric produced is pretty embarrassing, as is the two seasons in the top flight in fifty eight stat.

Throughout our hundred years in the Football League, it's probably fair to say our "natural" position is around half way up the second tier, but, as mentioned earlier, I'd say it's undoubtedly true to say that our potential to be better than that has been greater in the second half of that century than it was in the first, yet out record in terms of major trophies won and seasons in the top flight was better during the latter than the former.

It's a shameful statistic that we are the only club to have spent more than one season in the Premier League who have never managed to avoid relegation - those who believe that we're somehow living above our station by thinking in terms of a future where we spend as much time in the Premier League as we do out of it should think again.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    In most of the tables I've seen which try to put clubs in some sort of order based on historical achievement, trophies won etc. City tend to be in the 30 to 35 range. Given the growth of Cardiff since the fifties, that list Eric produced is pretty embarrassing, as is the two seasons in the top flight in fifty eight stat.

Throughout our hundred years in the Football League, it's probably fair to say our "natural" position is around half way up the second tier, but, as mentioned earlier, I'd say it's undoubtedly true to say that our potential to be better than that has been greater in the second half of that century than it was in the first, yet out record in terms of major trophies won and seasons in the top flight was better during the latter than the former.

It's a shameful statistic that we are the only club to have spent more than one season in the Premier League who have never managed to avoid relegation - those who believe that we're somehow living above our station by thinking in terms of a future where we spend as much time in the Premier League as we do out of it should think again.
    That's pretty much how I see it Paul. City being a mid table 2nd tier club. Interesting that out last three seasons in the top flight 1962, 2014. 2018 have all ended in relegation. That is really poor. Although the last 10 -12 years we have been the best side out of the top division.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    That's pretty much how I see it Paul. City being a mid table 2nd tier club. Interesting that out last three seasons in the top flight 1962, 2014. 2018 have all ended in relegation. That is really poor. Although the last 10 -12 years we have been the best side out of the top division.
    You and others talk as if retaining Premier League status is a routine and easy matter. It isn't. Many clubs have tried and failed. It takes a number of years to establish a base and move forward. In the first couple of seasons especially, you need a bit of luck to survive, which we definitely haven't had. If it was that easy, how come Fulham, Norwich, West Brom etc struggle to do it. Fulham, with massive financial backing that we can only dream about, are often set up on here on a pedestal as some shining light on how to play and get promotion but they have failed miserably in the last ten years and are in the process of doing it again this season. Now that is ‘really poor’ with the money they have spent and the inflated egos of their owner and fans. We can and will get there eventually but a bit of belief and support in the meantime from the fans would go a long way towards helping.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You and others talk as if retaining Premier League status is a routine and easy matter. It isn't. Many clubs have tried and failed. It takes a number of years to establish a base and move forward. In the first couple of seasons especially, you need a bit of luck to survive, which we definitely haven't had. If it was that easy, how come Fulham, Norwich, West Brom etc struggle to do it. Fulham, with massive financial backing that we can only dream about, are often set up on here on a pedestal as some shining light on how to play and get promotion but they have failed miserably in the last ten years and are in the process of doing it again this season. Now that is ‘really poor’ with the money they have spent and the inflated egos of their owner and fans. We can and will get there eventually but a bit of belief and support in the meantime from the fans would go a long way towards helping.
    Did you really write this and believe it?