+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leicester City

Leicester City

Two up at half time at Leeds, Christ they’ve left us way behind, haven’t they? I know it’s no great shakes beating Leeds, we’ve done it often enough but still. Who’d have thought things would pan out like they have after that play off semi final a few years ago eh?

Re: Leicester City

Their recruitment has been exceptional, and it has been for years. Shame Vardy chose them over us!

Appointing the right Manager helps.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Two up at half time at Leeds, Christ they’ve left us way behind, haven’t they? I know it’s no great shakes beating Leeds, we’ve done it often enough but still. Who’d have thought things would pan out like they have after that play off semi final a few years ago eh?
    Just caught 10 mins and both those sides are a light years ahead of us. Pace, accuracy of passing, technique.

That's what top level managers and big investment gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Their recruitment has been exceptional, and it has been for years. Shame Vardy chose them over us!
    If Vardy had come to us he's have scored on his debut, then gone eight games without a goal, dropped for some ageing striker from Forest or WBA, accused on here of just having 'Pace' 'Headless Chicken' (Probably by me) He'd have been given a free transfer to Peterborough and we'd be linked to whoever had scored 7 goals by christmas for Bristol City. My point is,we'd have ****ing ruined him

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If Vardy had come to us he's have scored on his debut, then gone eight games without a goal, dropped for some ageing striker from Forest or WBA, accused on here of just having 'Pace' 'Headless Chicken' (Probably by me) He'd have been given a free transfer to Peterborough and we'd be linked to whoever had scored 7 goals by christmas for Bristol City. My point is,we'd have ****ing ruined him
    I'd have no doubt about that . He can't hold the ball up, this goal scoring lark is all well and good but he can't head.

I'd have no doubt about that . He can't hold the ball up, this goal scoring lark is all well and good but he can't head.
    Yup, he's no Chopra

HE DOESN'T GET STUCK IN!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    HE DOESN'T GET STUCK IN!
    One dimensional, all he can do is run fast. That's what happens when the club does their shopping in the lower leagues!

Under Malky, in his first season, you heard talks of building dossiers on different targets and really trying to modernise off the pitch. Second year onwards he had lots of investment but arguably that also meant no more clever scouting, very little consideration to youth development and it's generally been a case of undoing that first year work ever since.

Leicester on the other hand have grown near enough year by year. Helps the coffers somewhat when you win the league and can sell players to clubs with poor scouting networks and too deep pockets of course but the way they have invested is really clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Appointing the right Manager helps.
    Having an ambitious, go ahead board is crucial too

Heisenberg

Fair play

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Under Malky, in his first season, you heard talks of building dossiers on different targets and really trying to modernise off the pitch. Second year onwards he had lots of investment but arguably that also meant no more clever scouting, very little consideration to youth development and it's generally been a case of undoing that first year work ever since.

Leicester on the other hand have grown near enough year by year. Helps the coffers somewhat when you win the league and can sell players to clubs with poor scouting networks and too deep pockets of course but the way they have invested is really clever.
    There is no basis for anything mentioned in the highlighted part of this post.

I think that given time, and with no interference from Tan, Makay would have kept us up and been a decent EPL manager. However, that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

I think that given time, and with no interference from Tan, Makay would have kept us up and been a decent EPL manager. However, that is just my opinion.
    I agree with that.

Since then Malky was given a poisoned chalice at Wigan, been a racist and gone back to Scotland.

We took 4 points off Leeds just last year, it isn't too hard to be fair.

But no what a journey the Leicester fans have been on. To think if they had beaten us they wouldn't have done what they have. Think they also lost after that against Watford in he most horrendous way, Deeney scoring in injury time seconds after Leicester missed a pen I think. All meant to be.

He'd have been given a free transfer to Peterborough
    True, with many fans offering to drive him there.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Even when Malky was there, and we were outside of the relegation places we were looking likely to go down. Our xG for and against was, together with Fulham, the worst in the division, so not a surprise at all we ended up bottom.
    We might have stayed up under Malky, but we would need to have improved from what we were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Just caught 10 mins and both those sides are a light years ahead of us. Pace, accuracy of passing, technique.

That's what top level managers and big investment gets you.
    Yes I was impressed with both sides, Leeds will comfortably stay up, and Leicester looked very dangerous on the break.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes I was impressed with both sides, Leeds will comfortably stay up, and Leicester looked very dangerous on the break.
    Leeds' results have a habit of falling off a cliff, they benefitted massively from the COVID break this season. When they blew up in 18/19, they were 14th in the Championship in the second half of the season. Their squad is paper thin too. I think they'll just about stay up because WBA, Fulham etc are terrible but it will be closer than most think.

Leicester can be praised but if it wasn't for that miraculous bit of luck just staying up the year before they won the PL their fortunes would have been so much different, dismantling the side. We've had some bad luck with results in the PL, issues with the management at the worst possible time, bad timing with injuries etc.

Since 2009, there's been a few teams who have gone up and have done much worse than us, Huddersfield, Hull, Boro, QPR all could be accused of the same thing. Then you just look through the championship. Derby, Wednesday and others riddled with debt.

Yes, Leicester's rise is envious, but you also got to look at teams where similar models have failed massively.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Leicester can be praised but if it wasn't for that miraculous bit of luck just staying up the year before they won the PL their fortunes would have been so much different, dismantling the side. We've had some bad luck with results in the PL, issues with the management at the worst possible time, bad timing with injuries etc.

Since 2009, there's been a few teams who have gone up and have done much worse than us, Huddersfield, Hull, Boro, QPR all could be accused of the same thing. Then you just look through the championship. Derby, Wednesday and others riddled with debt.

Yes, Leicester's rise is envious, but you also got to look at teams where similar models have failed massively.
    Who would that be?