+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Club’s “POPPY BADGES”

The Club’s “POPPY BADGES”

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s worth remembering our ex servicemen/women, at these times.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...s-bristol-city

Re: The Club’s “POPPY BADGES”

The football badge addition isn’t for me but can’t knock raising money for a good cause.

International

It's to remember our soldiers sailors and airmen that I said I'd like one of the sides of the ground named after my Uncle Arthur.

He was playing for City when the war started and was, along with many others conscripted into the Royal Air force.

Guess where he was posted? (No googling )

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It's to remember our soldiers sailors and airmen that I said I'd like one of the sides of the ground named after my Uncle Arthur.

He was playing for City when the war started and was, along with many others conscripted into the Royal Air force.

Malaya (as it was called back then)?

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Malaya (as it was called back then)?
    Not even close :)

St Athen

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s worth remembering our ex servicemen/women, at these times.

Thanks. I've had one each year for the last couple of years.

You can also get them p+p free from the Poppy Shop directly. https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/collect...3AChampionship

North Africa?

OK I googled.

Would not have guessed that in a million years

2nd guess, Tremorfa airfield

Id be stunned if I googled where was Uncle Arthur posted and got the answer.

Nice, but it pees me off that these along with the normal RBL pin poppies have the year on. Its as if they are saying we don't trust you will ever donate again and although there may be a small proportion of those sorts, I think they are few.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    OK I googled.

Would not have guessed that in a million years
    Crazy isn't it?

Did he tell the Missus he was posted to North Africa and stay in the changing rooms?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Did he tell the Missus he was posted to North Africa and stay in the changing rooms?
    Half right, but she knew exactly where he was----- home every night, while her sister, my mum, waited 4 years for my father to trudge round N Africa Italy France and Germany. It was tough being a footballer even then see!

Crazy isn't it?
    Iceland?

Half right, but she knew exactly where he was----- home every night, while her sister, my mum, waited 4 years for my father to trudge round N Africa Italy France and Germany. It was tough being a footballer even then see!
    Living the dream.

International

Living the dream.
    did you look? :)

did you look? :)
    No, I was purely thinking of cowardice or a chance of getting away from the wife for 6 years.

So was he actually posted in Cardiff?

International

No, I was purely thinking of cowardice or a chance of getting away from the wife for 6 years.

So was he actually posted in Cardiff?
    He was posted to Cardiff City Football Club for the whole of the war. I think they must have forgotten him.

That's it? Just that badge!? We're rank amateurs at this virtue signalling game!

International

He was posted to Cardiff City Football Club for the whole of the war. I think they must have forgotten him.
    Just thought, if they named a stand after him it would have to be home end, he never went away lol

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    That's it? Just that badge!? We're rank amateurs at this virtue signalling game!

F*cking hell, Tomlin on a football pitch, which one is he though? Must be the one with the cap, the poppy’s feet are about size 18!!!

It should be everyone's cup of tea and more , thankfully it is and hasn't been completely effected by the changes on our society . In as much folk recognise and symbolise other events, so we should remberance day.
    https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/