+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sheffield Wednesday points deduction reduced

Sheffield Wednesday points deduction reduced

To 6.

Re: Sheffield Wednesday points deduction reduced

The BBC article gives the following statement:

"The independent panel has today rejected the club's appeal related to matters surrounding the stadium sale and on consideration of the sanction; they did not agree with the club's assertion that a points deduction should not have been imposed," an EFL statement stated.

"However, they did opt to reduce the sporting punishment from 12 points to six, which will be effective immediately."
    Maybe there is more but none of that explains why it's been cut.

Crazy someone is either guilty or not

The worst thing about this is that Wigan are currently bottom of League One after. an imposed relegation for a crime which, to my mind, wasn't as bad as Sheffield Wednesday or Derby's.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick but are the League still going after Bournemouth? I seem to remember that they broke the financial fair play rules the season they went up, but sanctions could not be imposed until they returned to the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick but are the League still going after Bournemouth? I seem to remember that they broke the financial fair play rules the season they went up, but sanctions could not be imposed until they returned to the Championship.
    They paid 4.75m to settle it. 4.75m!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The worst thing about this is that Wigan are currently bottom of League One after. an imposed relegation for a crime which, to my mind, wasn't as bad as Sheffield Wednesday or Derby's.
    Yes, incredibly harsh on Wigan, I wonder if they're considering legal action

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Problem is that, under the EFL rules which were voted for by the clubs themselves, Wigan's 'crime' resulted in an automatic points deduction with no inquiry needed. Therefore, there was no room for a genuine appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Problem is that, under the EFL rules which were voted for by the clubs themselves, Wigan's 'crime' resulted in an automatic points deduction with no inquiry needed. Therefore, there was no room for a genuine appeal.
    However the owner asked the EFL how to put the club into admin before he bought them, and still managed to pass the fit and proper persons test