+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Change of formation breaks home hoodoo for dominant Cardiff.

Change of formation breaks home hoodoo for dominant Cardiff.

Re: Change of formation breaks home hoodoo for dominant Cardiff.

On your point about getting Harry into the game more, I also noticed that most of the play was down the left side of the pitch.
    Do you think this was because 1) City thought Barnsley were weaker down that side OR 2) City just wanted to ease Harry into the game because of his injury (ie:- protecting him) ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    On your point about getting Harry into the game more, I also noticed that most of the play was down the left side of the pitch.
    Do you think this was because 1) City thought Barnsley were weaker down that side OR 2) City just wanted to ease Harry into the game because of his injury (ie:- protecting him) ?
    My guess is that it was more the first of your points than the second. The fact the Barnsley manager made a tactical substitution in the first half tells you that they had problems on the right hand side of their defence and, although they improved in that area after the change, Bennett and Hoilett still were able to get plenty of crosses in, so, with that in mind, you have to think that their team mates were likely to look to their left when they were looking to pass.
    As for whether there was a feeling that Wilson needed to be eased back into things, I would have said that the better thing to have done in that case would have been to start with Ojo or Murphy in the side and introduce Wilson for, say, the last quarter of the match.
    I'd prefer to see Wilson used more through the middle than stuck out on the wing. Neil Harris hinted that it wouldn't be Moore and Glatzel picked up front together all of the time if we persisted with two strikers, so I reckon we could see him used more as a striker at times. When Moore and Glatzel are starting though, I think Wilson will have to be used as a winger because I don't see us playing with two strikers and a number ten unless we're losing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My guess is that it was more the first of your points than the second. The fact the Barnsley manager made a tactical substitution in the first half tells you that they had problems on the right hand side of their defence and, although they improved in that area after the change, Bennett and Hoilett still were able to get plenty of crosses in, so, with that in mind, you have to think that their team mates were likely to look to their left when they were looking to pass.
    As for whether there was a feeling that Wilson needed to be eased back into things, I would have said that the better thing to have done in that case would have been to start with Ojo or Murphy in the side and introduce Wilson for, say, the last quarter of the match.
    I'd prefer to see Wilson used more through the middle than stuck out on the wing. Neil Harris hinted that it wouldn't be Moore and Glatzel picked up front together all of the time if we persisted with two strikers, so I reckon we could see him used more as a striker at times. When Moore and Glatzel are starting though, I think Wilson will have to be used as a winger because I don't see us playing with two strikers and a number ten unless we're losing.
    In Whittingham's early seasons, when he scored goals for fun, Dave Jones played him on either the left (usually) or right (less often) of midfield, but not as a winger, but in a freer, wandering role where he would be less required to get stuck in with defensive duties. I think he did the same with Koumas. In fact, from memory, he rarely went with 2 wingers.

I guess, as well, it depends on how Harris uses his forwards. Does having a front two give more space for an attacking midfielder with a free role as defenders have more to deal with? I don't know, hence the question.

Using Wilson centrally means realistically we couldn't start with 2 strikers

I liked the 4-4-2 personally

It was noticeable last night that Wilson, Hoilett & Ojo were given roaming roles. Whilst, at times it meant that we lost our width, it did mean that the Barnsley defence were being pulled out of position. It also meant that Bennett & Bacuna had to get forward a lot more in support. In fairness to Bennett, he was brilliant at this.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I assume the 442 was a one off against an inexperienced Barnsley back line. I fully expect us to revert to 4231 against Bristol which will enable Ojo to be brought in and Wilson played in the no 10 role.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    It was noticeable last night that Wilson, Hoilett & Ojo were given roaming roles. Whilst, at times it meant that we lost our width, it did mean that the Barnsley defence were being pulled out of position. It also meant that Bennett & Bacuna had to get forward a lot more in support. In fairness to Bennett, he was brilliant at this.
    Yes. I wonder if this is because we had a front two to occupy their defence more than a lone striker?

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Bennet was brilliant last night. If we can play like that with Bacuna at RB then I can't wait for Tutu to be back.

It's funny how people can see different things from the same game because I thought playing two strikers tended to mean that our wingers stayed out wide more than they usually do and, as a result, the combinations with their respective full backs looked more dangerous.

If I'm right in thinking that, it does mean that there will be increased pressure on our two central midfielders because they will get less help from our wide players, as well as not having a number ten to give them some additional support, but I thoughts Ralls and Pack coped with things well last night.

The thing which we cannot be sure of yet is was our much improved performances down more to us being good or Barnsley being very bad? I honestly don't know the answer to that, but our opponents were unbeaten in five matches before facing us and, apart from QPR, all of the sides they played during that time had been in the top half of the table, so it's probably fair to say that they played better in all of those games than they did last night - maybe that suggests it had more to do with the first of the two options I set out at the start of this paragraph?

It's funny how people can see different things from the same game because I thought playing two strikers tended to mean that our wingers stayed out wide more than they usually do and, as a result, the combinations with their respective full backs looked more dangerous.

If I'm right in thinking that, it does mean that there will be increased pressure on our two central midfielders because they will get less help from our wide players, as well as not having a number ten to give them some additional support, but I thoughts Ralls and Pack coped with things well last night.
    That's why I think, going back to Dave Jones, he tended to play only one winger; one on one side and an attacking, free-role midfielder on the other. That way the non-winger can help out occasionally with the graft. Swansea, particularly during the Martinez years regularly had one winger hugging the touchline to try and prevent the game from being too compressed - they played with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 if you counted both wingers as forwards.

We found that, during the 4-4-2 years, a side with 3 central midfielders who could pass the ball well would cause us problems. We had the opposite with Warnock when he employed 3 central midfielders who, by and large, were there to try and win the ball and rough it out. I wonder what Warnock would have done with a midfield 3 of Whitts, McPhail and Ledley? Sold them probably and brought in 3 Harry Arters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That's why I think, going back to Dave Jones, he tended to play only one winger; one on one side and an attacking, free-role midfielder on the other. That way the non-winger can help out occasionally with the graft. Swansea, particularly during the Martinez years regularly had one winger hugging the touchline to try and prevent the game from being too compressed - they played with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 if you counted both wingers as forwards.

We found that, during the 4-4-2 years, a side with 3 central midfielders who could pass the ball well would cause us problems. We had the opposite with Warnock when he employed 3 central midfielders who, by and large, were there to try and win the ball and rough it out. I wonder what Warnock would have done with a midfield 3 of Whitts, McPhail and Ledley? Sold them probably and brought in 3 Harry Arters.
    Aaron Ramsey would have been loaned out to Weston for 3 years before benig released

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Aaron Ramsey would have been loaned out to Weston for 3 years before benig released

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Yes, typically, we'd have McPhail and Whitts tucking in with someone like Chris Burke hugging the touchline. I think that could work now with someone like WIlson being the Whitts equivalent. I think Warnock would have liked Joe Ledley, but I wouldn't have fancied McPhail and Whitts' chances too much.

As for Aaron Rmasey,, he's thirty on Boxing Day I believe, so I think this could have been his breakthrough season into the first team under Warnock .

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Bennet was brilliant last night. If we can play like that with Bacuna at RB then I can't wait for Tutu to be back.
    Yep Bennett was really good. I wonder if having a keen youngster snapping at his heels has given him a bit of a boost.

Ralls sitting deeper next to Pack was an important tweek. That's our best midfield combination with Wilson in the hole. That third goal, with Ralls finding Harry, is the shape of things to come. I like the 442 for certain circumstances but Wilson has to play centrally most of the time.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

I thought it was more like 3-5-2 for much of the game.

I think it proves how good Wilson can be at this level. But not good enough for Liverpool and not worth £25m they supposedly want for him. We seem to have plenty of goals in the team now with Moore, Glatzel (although no goals so far), Wilson, Hoilett and Ojo. And that's ignoring our joint top score ...Ralls!

I think more importantly it was the defence that needed to find some form, and Morrison and Nelson were solid as a rock last night. bennett had his best game in a long while, but Bacuna still struggles at right back.

I made a point of watching Pack throughout the match, I've never been a huge fan of his. But what Harris says is true, he is everywhere. Not the quickest as we know but certainly covers the whole pitch and also made telling contributions.

With Bristol on Friday too I expect we'll revert to a 4-5-1 and I just hope that Wilson stays fit for it.

So glad I upgraded to Sky Sports about an hour before kick off.

Yes, typically, we'd have McPhail and Whitts tucking in with someone like Chris Burke hugging the touchline. I think that could work now with someone like WIlson being the Whitts equivalent. I think Warnock would have liked Joe Ledley, but I wouldn't have fancied McPhail and Whitts' chances too much.

As for Aaron Rmasey,, he's thirty on Boxing Day I believe, so I think this could have been his breakthrough season into the first team under Warnock .
    And so he should have been breaking into the first team after winning young player of the year last season

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think it proves how good Wilson can be at this level. But not good enough for Liverpool and not worth £25m they supposedly want for him. We seem to have plenty of goals in the team now with Moore, Glatzel (although no goals so far), Wilson, Hoilett and Ojo. And that's ignoring our joint top score ...Ralls!

I think more importantly it was the defence that needed to find some form, and Morrison and Nelson were solid as a rock last night. bennett had his best game in a long while, but Bacuna still struggles at right back.

I made a point of watching Pack throughout the match, I've never been a huge fan of his. But what Harris says is true, he is everywhere. Not the quickest as we know but certainly covers the whole pitch and also made telling contributions.

With Bristol on Friday too I expect we'll revert to a 4-5-1 and I just hope that Wilson stays fit for it.

So glad I upgraded to Sky Sports about an hour before kick off.

I’m always wary when Bacuna is possession when playing full back, he’s prone to the odd wayward pass which very often puts us in danger.