+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Two Newport County players in Wales senior squad.

Two Newport County players in Wales senior squad.

Re: Two Newport County players in Wales senior squad.

No Doidge again, surely he's worth a look? We're hardly blessed with strikers

Vaulks hasn't been great so far this season, but that midfield is very lightweight and samey, how Levitt keeps getting in squads is beyond me

When I've seen Sheehan he has looked good but Vaulks is 2 levels above that and for me with the weakness have should certainly be in the squad.

I find it strange that people like Williams and King aren't busting a gut to get a team as they could quite easily get into this squad for a major tournament.

The more I look at the squad the stranger it looks. Tom King sits on the bench at Newport but gets in ahead of Chris Maxwell who plays in League 1? Room for 6 centre backs but just 1 (arguably 2) out and out striker? League 2 Josh Sheehan in ahead of Lee Evans (Wigan), Emyr Huws (Ipswich) and even someone like Shaun MacDonald (Rotherham)

Sheehan has been excellent for Newport this season, he will be in League One (or higher) next season regardless of what Newport do, and Giggs/Page, whoever picked the squad is going for technical ability over anything else. They really, really don't rate Vaulks which is harsh but God, he has been awful so far this season.

The Maxwell omission is very, very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The more I look at the squad the stranger it looks. Tom King sits on the bench at Newport but gets in ahead of Chris Maxwell who plays in League 1? Room for 6 centre backs but just 1 (arguably 2) out and out striker? League 2 Josh Sheehan in ahead of Lee Evans (Wigan), Emyr Huws (Ipswich) and even someone like Shaun MacDonald (Rotherham)
    MacDonald has got a broken leg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54823138

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    MacDonald has got a broken leg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54823138
    Well that's fair enough he's not involved

I am surprised at Evans & Huws being overlooked not just for this but over the past few years. Both players were quite well hyped as youngsters and could be accused of not living up to their potential but they'd certainly offer something different. Evans ran us ragged at Wigan last season whilst Huws would offer physical presence and technical ability. I don't think Levitt is ready for international football yet but he's already on as many caps as Evans

No Vokes again so pressure on Moore to play three games? Vokes or Doidge should be in the squad as backup. Can't understand why Vokes is continually overlooked when we are light in his position.

Why do we have this ridiculous friendly against the US? I hope no City players are involved. And then two more games in 3 days. I'd be happy to see Wilson and Moore only play in the Ireland game.

Like Doidge, Gwion Edwards is another strange omission for me. He's been excellent for Ipswich over the last couple of years & has scored 5 already this season.

Sam Vokes is very unlucky to miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    No Vokes again so pressure on Moore to play three games? Vokes or Doidge should be in the squad as backup. Can't understand why Vokes is continually overlooked when we are light in his position.
    This and the England game last month were arranged when the plan was that there would be crowds allowed back in October, but, with that a non starter now, they've become pointless - although I may watch it because the chance of Wales beating America at any sport doesn't come along that often!

Just a quick word on Will Vaulks, he may not be playing well at the moment, but he strikes me as a better bet than any of the replacements suggested in this thread.

The omission of Chris Maxwell makes no sense to me either.

Interesting thread. Great that County have 2 reps in the squad. They are so often the overlooked men of Welsh football. Maybe there was also a shout for Brendan Cooper?

I have some concerns though.

Giggs (aka Page) seems to select a mix of youth and experience but is the blend right? For every Levitt, there is a Gunter but why no Will Vaulkes? There are few players who are featuring regularly for teams higher up the league than Cardiff City in that squad, yet we see representation from many lowly placed sides. He features in the Championship often. Reminds me of when Searle was overlooked in favour of a Gary Lloyd of Barry Town, we were top of league 1 at the time.

Surely also Doidge deserves a chance? Ok, the Scots prem isn’t La Liga but that is hardly his fault. I also
    So think Vokes is worth retaining.

This USA game might be less than perfect for us but imagine if we were in Scotland's shoes still trying to qualify for the Euro's in 2020 (their extra fixture) and then seeing Nation's league as route to qualify for World Cup. We would certainly want our Nation's League opponents playing same amount of games as us in this international window.

I'm no fan of the three game window but the disrupted football calendar means we have it until September 2021. One worry is that Wales have a few players at Spurs now who play football nearly every day of the week until next summer (league cup knockouts, FA cup, europa league, premier league) and then those players will be asked to play in the Euros before the September 3 game window - exhausting! But this hectic schedule also means it's so important to develop depth and the absence of Doidge is maddening....unless our management team recognise that we only have one young striker coming through the system with that build (Jack Vale) and therefore are forcing us to develop understanding of how to play without one now?

While I think Vaulks can still come good, some players just don't suit international football and some players just don't suit a style of play. If he didn't play for Cardiff I don't think many of us would pick Vaulks for these games based on his club form so far this year.

I'm not totally sure why we have picked Newport's 2nd keeper when there is one in League One who can return to international set-up. Could it be that one is 25 and the other is 30?

I'm not totally sure why we have picked Newport's 2nd keeper when there is one in League One who can return to international set-up. Could it be that one is 25 and the other is 30?
    If there is belief that one has greater ceiling then maybe they're giving that player every chance? Maybe it's to do with who fits well into the set-up? This would explain why Cameron Coxe is still involved at youth level despite dropping down leagues.

Not sure what it proves with such a scatter gun approach to caps, at the end of the season he has to pick 25 players for the tournament. So far his pool of caps is about 50 plus with 1 or 2 games between a lot of them. A few lads who are 25 and playing at Newport are not seriously going to be considered.

I'd like to see a tighter unit and those that have been in previous squads actually get some minutes on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Well that's fair enough he's not involved

I am surprised at Evans & Huws being overlooked not just for this but over the past few years. Both players were quite well hyped as youngsters and could be accused of not living up to their potential but they'd certainly offer something different. Evans ran us ragged at Wigan last season whilst Huws would offer physical presence and technical ability. I don't think Levitt is ready for international football yet but he's already on as many caps as Evans
    Im sure Giggs and his team know what their doing. Theyve blooded enough youngsters to earn the fans trust, especially on the back of a qualification where they couldnt rely on their senior players because of injuries.

Who would have thought young Joe Morell would have been such an excellent addition to the team in the qualifiers. "But he plays for Lincoln, theres players who play at a higher level". So what? its what they bring as individuals not what level they play at. Vaulks may play two levels higher than the Newport players but probably finds himself out in the cold because lets face it, technically he is crap.

Emyr Huws has played about 20 games in 3 years. Hes made of glass. Weve got plenty of players in the Welsh treatment room so im not sure he does offer something different.

Twitter pointed out that Maxwell may have declined the offer based on him being in our camp and not getting a game yet over several years. Whether true or not, this is the risk of what Giggs is doing with so much focus on transitioning to the players he seems to believe in and I have big sympathy for those missing out.