Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graham Kavanagh's thoughts on tonight

Graham Kavanagh's thoughts on tonight

Re: Graham Kavanagh's thoughts on tonight

sums up my view on the game too

I'd say that he's bang on.

The cold hard facts are that out of 33 points on offer, we have taken 13, the suggested average for a side challenging for a top 6 spot was 2 points per game.
    We dont look much like a side that can do that, and we certainly don't look like we can create opportunities to get anywhere near the top of the table.
    I cant see the board putting up with this for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    The cold hard facts are that out of 33 points on offer, we have taken 13, the suggested average for a side challenging for a top 6 spot was 2 points per game.
    We dont look much like a side that can do that, and we certainly don't look like we can create opportunities to get anywhere near the top of the table.
    I cant see the board putting up with this for much longer.
    It's predictable, we play one phase where we attempt to awkwardly pass the ball, that fails, phase two, knock a long ball or over the head of the fullback for the wide player to chase. Absolutely not good enough by any stretch. How can that type of football become more refined when it's reliant on the other team making mistakes, it's just a case of giving the ball away and hoping that someone in a blue shirt picks up the second ball. It's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's predictable, we play one phase where we attempt to awkwardly pass the ball, that fails, phase two, knock a long ball or over the head of the fullback for the wide player to chase. Absolutely not good enough by any stretch. How can that type of football become more refined when it's reliant on the other team making mistakes, it's just a case of giving the ball away and hoping that someone in a blue shirt picks up the second ball. It's crap.
    Nah that’s harsh. We weren’t just hitting hopeful balls over the fullback and looking 2nd balls. We had more possession than them, were trying to play through the lines when we could. Created overloads for Bennet all night. Got umpteen crosses into the box, 17 attempts at goal and just could not get the goal despite missing chances that were easier to score. The Hoilet one was shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Nah that’s harsh. We weren’t just hitting hopeful balls over the fullback and looking 2nd balls. We had more possession than them, were trying to play through the lines when we could. Created overloads for Bennet all night. Got umpteen crosses into the box, 17 attempts at goal and just could not get the goal despite missing chances that were easier to score. The Hoilet one was shocking.
    I see a flaw with getting so many crosses into the box. Neither Glatzel nor Moore are the best headers of the ball, neither are they noted for scoring goals with their heads. Neither offer enough movement to get on the end of crosses. It would be interesting to find out how many crosses were headed away. I mentioned in another thread that Moore wins around 60% of his headers. Given his height advantage, I find that surprisingly low.

We did play with some purpose but I'd be interested to see what our overall xG stats are. My impression is that we didn't create many very good chances. The best chance of the game happened after 100 seconds.

https://www.infogol.net/en/matches/r...20-11-06/76932

1.63 vs 0.74. There were a few golden chances we didn't take.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Cheers for that. I have a new app/website to enjoy!

So despite the number of chances we had, we didn't create much that was clear cut.

I agree, I think people are being way too harsh. There is definite improvement in the way we play, people are expecting miracles overnight.

I just think the manager isn’t fashionable enough for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Those stats read well. I didn't see the game. What went wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I agree, I think people are being way too harsh. There is definite improvement in the way we play, people are expecting miracles overnight.

I just think the manager isn’t fashionable enough for some people.
    I agree, I thought we played well last night up to a point - that point being an inability to put some decent to good chances into the net. We shouldn't have lost and if we had taken two of our chances, the talk on here would have been about how we were headed into the top six, but, on this occasion, our much mentioned lack of creativity did not apply and, rarely, it was an inability to finish, or just as importantly, a lack of the instinct which takes natural scorers into the areas where the ball was going to break which cost us. The game made for frustrating viewing, but I quite enjoyed some of our build up play even though we still have too much fixation about "getting the ball up to the big man".

What has happened to Hoilett this season? He played well for the first time in ages on Tuesday, but put in another sluggish performance yesterday.

We have definitely played better in the last two games this week, but the facts remain as they are
    13 points out of a potential 33, one win at home
    Also a frustrating trait of conceding early from KO hasn't been stopped.
    We are a mid table side and not looking likely to kick on, if fans had been allowed back in this season I doubt Harris would still be here?
    He might need more time to get the players in that he wants, but weather he is given that time remains to be seen.?

I thought we played really well. Dominated midfield and moved the ball around. We even played out from the back!
    Should have won the game. Poor finishing cost us.

I think we did alright it's easy to be critical basing it on results.

There probably isn't a great philosophy but that doesn't mean we can't win games and we were the better team.

Goal conceded was poor from Bennett and hoilett imo.

It's a results based industry, fans will put up with a lot as long as results go there way
    We have taken 6 points out of the last 18 on offer
    That's almost relegation form, at best just above the drop zone.
    Results are everything in Football

What’s the philosophy?

Get the most out of the players over a congested fixture pile up.

**** me we could have easily won yesterday and people would be lauding Harris.

I was far from impressed when he was appointed but he’s earned a fair bit of credit

Fickle as always

Kav is spot on.

Under Harris we finally seemed to have a style after lock down, pressing high, winning the ball and using it well. We got into the playoffs and he chucked that out the window until the last 30 minutes of the 2nd leg.
    That style hasn't been seen since and now we have no kind of pattern, it's just rubbish.

We played better this week but I don't think we deserved to win last night. Bristol City had limited opportunities but created one clear opportunity and put it away. They then could sit back and defend which they did okish. Its the sort of away performance we have put in plenty of times and still deserves credit.

We didn't really test their keeper enough, if he was making wonder save time and again or we were hitting the woodwork you can look and say we should have won and another day we would have, but I didn't see it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    OOOH A! KAVANAGH!

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Kav is spot on.

Under Harris we finally seemed to have a style after lock down, pressing high, winning the ball and using it well. We got into the playoffs and he chucked that out the window until the last 30 minutes of the 2nd leg.
    That style hasn't been seen since and now we have no kind of pattern, it's just rubbish.
    That isn't what happened. We started well in the first leg of the playoffs, but couldn't keep up the intensity and Fulham dominated the last 60 minutes of the match because their players were better in possession than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    That isn't what happened. We started well in the first leg of the playoffs, but couldn't keep up the intensity and Fulham dominated the last 60 minutes of the match because their players were better in possession than ours.
    This is correct.

All the other teams in the play offs were more comfortable that we were in possession.

Exactly

There were a few occasions where we mis-controlled it or the forwards fluffed their lines. Harris can't be blamed for that

https://twitter.com/PaulAbbandonato/...12188478021635

Harris says Cardiff were 'outstanding', created 'chance after chance'. Were they? Did they? Not sure I saw it that way? A few headers, yes, but for me proper chances are carving open a team on the deck and someone in the clear having ball at his feet, not jumping with defenders?
    Feck me, now Wilson's header at the back post wasn't a chance because it wasn't on the deck?! Neither was Moore's header from the corner.

We're not winning games and we need to be, we're conceding goals first and from set-pieces and we really need to stop that, but the football is getting better and there are a number of reasons that teams trying to evolve would find the congested calendar tougher.

Glen Williams says: "There’s no question this group of players is performing well below the sum of its parts. That simply has to change."

Paul Abbandonato later says: "Just hope he starts getting the sum of the parts adding up because this is a good squad at Championship level."

Warnock's greatest trick was convincing the Walesonline press that this is a really good squad. The starting 11 is a good one but we haven't been shown anything yet to suggest it's a deep squad of talent.