+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VAR - Palace v Leeds

Re: VAR - Palace v Leeds

Games gone

The rules were never supposed to be implemented this way, where someone draws a line connecting pixels.

If it isn't clear from slow motion or even a glance at it paused then just let it go. Him having his arm down wouldn't have stopped him getting to the ball at almost the exact same time.

As much as I hated that Chelsea decision against us, I'd hate this sort of thing even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The rules were never supposed to be implemented this way, where someone draws a line connecting pixels.

If it isn't clear from slow motion or even a glance at it paused then just let it go. Him having his arm down wouldn't have stopped him getting to the ball at almost the exact same time.

As much as I hated that Chelsea decision against us, I'd hate this sort of thing even more.
    When VAR was being mooted, I thought it would be decisions like the Chelsea one that would be overturned (i.e. a clear and obvious error), but what we appear to have got instead is someone sat watching games a couple of hundred miles away who sees a goal being scored and says "right, how can I disallow this one").

[QUOTE=Steve the Tea;5133948]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Does anyone actually want to see their Club in the PL with a joke of a system that seems to cause more controversy than human error. Might as well just have someone on a computer 200 miles away or even on the moon and dispose of a referee and linesmen.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what is happening now?

StT.
    <><
    Yes but they haven’t disposed of the referee and linesmen yet, which they might as well as.

The Bamford goal should have stood. He is clearly NOT offside. Ludicrous decision.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    The Bamford goal should have stood. He is clearly NOT offside. Ludicrous decision.
    Jesus Christ. How many times? BAMFORD WAS CLEARLY OFFSIDE. Look at the photo.

Don't blame the ref. Don't blame VAR. Blame the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Games gone
    Wait til you see the Wolves "handball". I can't be bothered with the PL now. VAR has killed it for me. All these rule changes and every one makes the game worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Wait til you see the Wolves "handball". I can't be bothered with the PL now. VAR has killed it for me. All these rule changes and every one makes the game worse.
    Iffy, but he did stop the ball from being crossed. I say yes to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Iffy, but he did stop the ball from being crossed. I say yes to that one.
    Me too. Not deliberate, but doesn't have to be.

Man City just got a penalty for the same handball offence as the Leicester game.

DeBruyne missed it though

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Man City just got a penalty for the same handball offence as the Leicester game.

DeBruyne missed it though
    Whatever happened to the hand to ball rule?

Players need straight jackets to keep their arms under control!
    I thought VAR was supposed to be used for clear and obvious errors ? Yesterday a West Ham forward made an attempt to head a ball when he had started in an offside position that led to their goal , wasn’t even checked !
    2 “hand balls “ today where in my opinion neither player made an attempt to stop the ball with their hand intentionally and as for the Bamford non goal ...unbelievable!! Sorry I grew up where if a player was level he is onside and got the benefit of the doubt , surely the rule should be is it clear and obvious not reliant on x and y graph lines

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Players need straight jackets to keep their arms under control!
    I thought VAR was supposed to be used for clear and obvious errors ? Yesterday a West Ham forward made an attempt to head a ball when he had started in an offside position that led to their goal , wasn’t even checked !
    2 “hand balls “ today where in my opinion neither player made an attempt to stop the ball with their hand intentionally and as for the Bamford non goal ...unbelievable!! Sorry I grew up where if a player was level he is onside and got the benefit of the doubt , surely the rule should be is it clear and obvious not reliant on x and y graph lines
    Jobs for the boys innit.
    Life is all about control and unfortunately over the years it has crept into the beautiful game.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Jesus Christ. How many times? BAMFORD WAS CLEARLY OFFSIDE. Look at the photo.

Don't blame the ref. Don't blame VAR. Blame the rules.
    Where's the photo which shows he's clearly offside? I'd be interested to see it. Sorry, but I'm not sure if you're joking about his hand being offside.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Where's the photo which shows he's clearly offside? I'd be interested to see it. Sorry, but I'm not sure if you're joking about his hand being offside.
    Unfortunately, that is the stupid rule. He can play the ball with his very upper arm, so that counts as being offside. It's all a load of bollocks.

The rule is stupid, but without VAR this would (rightly) never have been given offside.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Whatever happened to the hand to ball rule?
    They've taken the 'deliberate' bit out, which is kind of fair enough as it is impossible to judge someone's intentions. They're not all as clear as that Suarez save in the World Cup against Ghana.

But they've made it so that any contact from anything but the closest smash is a handball, which for me is too far. The Leicester Wolves handball one yesterday was too close in my opinion.

Add VAR to another reason I'm falling out of love with the game. The authorities are trying to take passion away from the stands and now the pitch. The very thing that makes our beautiful game beautiful. You can tell the players don't fully celebrate, yes the lack of fans has something to do with it, but they fully expect a goal to be chalked off. I was all for goal line technology, that was the one thing fans and managers complained about regularly, that should have been it.

Sad situation when the fans spontaneous celebration of a goal is taken away, when it comes down to it it’s the main moment, and it is just a moment, in the game.

As crazy as it seems, his hand being in front of the defending player closest to goal places him in an offside position. Clear and obvious in the photo. And because the ball went in the net, VAR comes into play. Nothing the VAR judge can do, nothing the ref can do. It's offside and no goal. The offside rule has to be changed.

As crazy as it seems, his hand being in front of the defending player closest to goal places him in an offside position. Clear and obvious in the photo. And because the ball went in the net, VAR comes into play. Nothing the VAR judge can do, nothing the ref can do. It's offside and no goal. The offside rule has to be changed.
    But VAR necessitates this. As we have VAR, the line has to be drawn somewhere (literally). The offside law can change to something else and there will be another ridiculous example.

If it's based on feet position, for example, then there will be times where the frame happens to show a players feet onside but the rest of the body offside because of their body position at that exact moment. For example, this picture; imagine that Sterling was a yard further forward with his feet in line but the all of the rest of his body in front of the defender.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incomin...AEedArjpeg.jpg

Wherever the line is drawn, something ridiculous like the Bamford situation will occur. It's a vicious circle, but VAR is a main culprit.

I think the offside rule is ok but what VAR does is take the "benefit to the attacking side" completely out of the equation. If to the naked eye (linesmen and ref) a player looks onside then just bloody run with it. It's the clinical line drawing that's taking the piss and clear and obvious and common sense has gone out the window.

That was no joke. Radio 5 live said his finger was offside when rightly deriding the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'd rather it be the entire person has to be in front of the last defender. If his foot is still onside he is.

We'd get more goals that way.
    I agree. It would be better if there is clear daylight between the attacker and the last defender for it to be deemed offside.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I agree. It would be better if there is clear daylight between the attacker and the last defender for it to be deemed offside.
    What would be the implications of removing it completely? Is it archaic now? Once upon a time I’m sure it was created to prevent ‘goal hanging’ and I appreciate that if it didn’t exist teams would leave players up field which would force a change of tactics by defending teams

I’d personally like to see a change in rules that said you can’t be offside if the pass or cross originated in the attacking half of the field

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

You are wrong.

The hand up to (but not including) the armpit cannot be used to score a goal.

Therefore the hand / elbow / upper arm cannot make the player offside.

The screen shot shows Bamfords 'armpit' ahead of the last defender.

The armpit / shoulder can be used to score a goal; that is why he was offside.

Remember the days when the joke was to try to explain the offside rule to your girlfriend / mum / gran?

FA RULE:

Offside position

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line)

and any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:
    second-last opponent or last two opponents