+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BROADBAND SUPPLIER ADVICE REQUIRED

BROADBAND SUPPLIER ADVICE REQUIRED

We're currently with EE but for a long time now we've been losing connectivity as much as 6 times a day. We've had both BT engineers and EE engineers themselves in to check out both the external and internal wiring. The EE engineers are convinced the problem lies with EE's routers. They've notified the company as this is a common fault apparently with many customers but they're not willing to change their routers.

With this in mind should we try another service provider, someone like Virgin maybe. We're not after any special package. We just want to be able to watch our Smart TV and Amazon Firestick programmes without losing connectivity every night.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: BROADBAND SUPPLIER ADVICE REQUIRED

Virgin media broadband, I’ve always found to be fast and reliable with good customer service and had cable for 25 years Cabletel, NT and now Virgin. Wouldn’t go with anyone else.

I've tried numerous ISPs but found Sky to be the best. However, I think the quality of broadband is area specific but I know for a fact Sky's routers are very good as I'm receiving both good internet and reliable TV coverage that I couldn't receive using other companies routers.

I know others don't like them but I have just about perfect supply from BT. Can't remember last time it was offline and only once every few months I might restart the router if I think a stream is sticky.

60 - 65mb downloads
    18 - 20mb uploads

Handles four of us using all devices, streaming services, zoom meetings etc all running at the same time.

Presumably with both Virgin and Sky, you would get a consistent signal and acceptable speed ?

Is there much disruption when changing your internet service provider ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Presumably with both Virgin and Sky, you would get a consistent signal and acceptable speed ?

Is there much disruption when changing your internet service provider ?
    I’m on 100 mbps with virgin have 12-14 devices connected and download speed of 108 consistently, upload is 10 not brilliant but ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    We're currently with EE but for a long time now we've been losing connectivity as much as 6 times a day. We've had both BT engineers and EE engineers themselves in to check out both the external and internal wiring. The EE engineers are convinced the problem lies with EE's routers. They've notified the company as this is a common fault apparently with many customers but they're not willing to change their routers.

With this in mind should we try another service provider, someone like Virgin maybe. We're not after any special package. We just want to be able to watch our Smart TV and Amazon Firestick programmes without losing connectivity every night.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Can I ask are you getting the drop outs on wi-fi only or do you have anything hard-wired to the router that also drops out? I found with the Virgin router that I kept getting drop-outs regularly but only on wi-fi - the actual router was still connected and hard wired devices still worked. It could be as simple as putting your router in modem only mode and buying a cheap (or expensive) router, extender or mesh system to attach to the existing one via a lan cable. That way if the drop-outs are on wi-fi only you won't get that problem.

I have Virgin and have the 200mbps. the hub isn't the best and the speed is pretty good most of the time, but there are occasions where it is 100mbps or lower.

you can pay for broadband only too, which most companies won't let you

Check what other people use where you live. There are always people complaining about Virgin in my area (I'm with them for my sins) and its really affected my ability to work from home during the past 7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Can I ask are you getting the drop outs on wi-fi only or do you have anything hard-wired to the router that also drops out? I found with the Virgin router that I kept getting drop-outs regularly but only on wi-fi - the actual router was still connected and hard wired devices still worked. It could be as simple as putting your router in modem only mode and buying a cheap (or expensive) router, extender or mesh system to attach to the existing one via a lan cable. That way if the drop-outs are on wi-fi only you won't get that problem.
    We're not just losing connectivity while watching our Smart TV and using our mobiles but it's also affecting our computer which is hard-wired to the router.

I've just rang EE and got them to send me out a new router. We've got a contract with them until January 2022 so we'll probably shop around after that.

Thanks for your help 👍

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Virgin media broadband, I’ve always found to be fast and reliable with good customer service and had cable for 25 years Cabletel, NT and now Virgin. Wouldn’t go with anyone else.
    I have Virgin and I agree. And when something does go wrong they can normally fix it remotely while you're on the phone. Good service. (I never thought I'd say that about virgin )

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I have Virgin and I agree. And when something does go wrong they can normally fix it remotely while you're on the phone. Good service. (I never thought I'd say that about virgin )
    Same, i've always had half decent service from Virgin.

Been with NTL now Virgin for 20 years broadband speed is very good wi fi hub not so but with extenders works well

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I have Virgin and have the 200mbps. the hub isn't the best and the speed is pretty good most of the time, but there are occasions where it is 100mbps or lower.

you can pay for broadband only too, which most companies won't let you
    snap

TalkTalk don't seem to have a good rep but they have always been ok for me

One of my mates read in which magazine that talk talk were crap and his mate is a utility warehouse rep so he changed to them

Utility warehouses broadband is provided by talktalk

Apparently now tv do a good deal ?

Like others have said if you are in a cabled area then go for Virgin. I have used them since for years, CabelTel, NTL then Virgin. No complaints about the service.
    If you use anyone else then isn't all really BT, resold by EE, PlusNet etc?

I am with BT only became good, when I payed a bit extra to get the super fast fiber, instead of the standard fiber.
    so that is worth considering.

I have never had Virgin (not in my area) but I defo would try them if I could, everyone who I know who has it, has had a really good experience with them.

The biggest thing you can do to improve internet is hardwire, wi-fi is convenient, but if you can ethernet supply a pc or console it is a significant difference.
    I recently purchased TP-Links £20 from argos, they plug into wall and get ethernet via power supply. my PC upstairs went from 35mb on wi-fi to 68mb ethernet into wall socket. also much more reliable connection.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    If you use anyone else then isn't all really BT, resold by EE, PlusNet etc?
    Yes and No, Sky often have sections at the exchange which can alter the standard you get

I have gone from ( in my old house ) BT ( which wasnt great ) to Sky ( which was better ) then back to ( due to a DL'ing issue ) BT ( which hadnt improved over the previous time )

Now we are with virgin, they have been good

so far been happy with bt after a few years gave up on sky when they tried to upgrade me to a impossible
    package they couldnt supply and talk talk before that wasnt impresssed at all with them

As I said I am with talk talk , I am looking into utility warehouse