+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shelf wed....

Re: Shelf wed....

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I don't want to comment on an individual or make specicific comparison, especially when I have so little to go on. BAME potential managers deserve more, at least a proper conversation, about why there are so few of them throughout the league's.
    I would agree with this.

It would be interesting to see the percentage of black men who applied for the positions. If this is say 5% of total people applying then it would go some way to explaining the low numbers in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Is it though? Most of the managers in the top leagues would have retired in the last 10/20 years, what percentage of the players were black in the 2000s? How many were British and stayed in the UK to complete badges? What is the actual percentage of black players who take badges?

I don't doubt some racism has played a part in some situations but it's a bit simplistic reducing the entire situation to racism in my opinion. Take Danny Rose example, he said he won't bother taking his badges because he "knows" he won't get a job after he completes them, how does that help the situation in the slightest.
    I'd say it was more than 0%. Weren't there loads of black footballers in the 2000s? I'd say more than 10% easily.

People were making the same agruments when there were no black managers in the early 00s too but we've always had loads of black players in this country. There has to be a reason why there are so few black managers.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I am not naive enough to not think that a lot still needs to be done about racism of all sorts in many industries and that football hasn't escaped at least part of this but I would say that football is one of the more inclusive professions that employs based on ability, maybe due to being such a results driven business.

How many black players are there in the Premier League for example? If we are to believe that there is prejudice against black managers in this country within football then we are to believe that owners are fine with employing black players to benefit their clubs but overlook a better manager because of the colour of his skin. I'm sorry but if a manager is the best candidate and is going to benefit that club more than any other candidate then he gets the job.

It goes on but if an owner/chairman was racist to that level then surely you would see playing squads showing evidence of this too, not just managerial positions.
    I think the argument is the same as in a lot of industries. The racism isn't obvious racism it's that they think black players as performers is fine but not as competent enough to manage.

Surely there has to be an explanation of why there are so few black managers. We always hear the best for the job argument but why wouldn't there be any black managers who are good enough for the job?

Football isn't as bad as other industries but it could still improve. I was reading something the other day about the first black baseball player was seen as being the first black player who was "good enough" but it wasn't actually true it had just been that systematic and societal racism has stopped any previous black players from reaching that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's 41, what's he on now, his 5th sacking in 5 years? clearly not up to the job, yet he'll join the list of white football blokes who seem to get job after job after failure after failure.
    He kept the Jacks in the Premier League, Warnock couldn’t do that with us?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Because he's a very shit manager. Just because another shit manager gets more work it doesn't mean racism is in play..
    Sol is just shit and chats utter shit thats why nobody wants him.
    I've got a little feeling that the two of you are talking about different black men called Sol.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    He kept the Jacks in the Premier League, Warnock couldn’t do that with us?
    He kept an established Premier League team in the Premier League... what a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He kept an established Premier League team in the Premier League... what a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He actually took them to their highest position in Premier League!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It is weird that there are so few black managers though isn’t it? How many are there in the top 3 English leagues currently?
    It's because they're not trusted. 40 years ago there were fans, club owners, managers and players who believed that black players were soft, didn't fancy it when it got a bit tough or the weather was cold, lazy etc. For years we also witnessed racial stereotyping with black players by white coaches, there was an abundance of very quick, skillful wide players, attack minded but very little in the way of the proverbial hard working, no nonsense, grating midfielder or the defender who put his body in front of almost anything. Some white football coaches didn't think that black players in this country had that discipline, desire etc in the same way that a white player did. Black players were identified based on pace and ability to get past defenders. Thankfully, we've come out of that now.

The next hurdle faced for black players is getting into positions of power after they've finished playing, like management, top level coaching, director of football, boardroom etc. It seems that they're facing the same racist stereotypical profiling that was prevalent all those years ago when gifted black players burst onto the scene. It's a form of covert racism in my opinion, Not enough black men are in positions of power or where big decisions are made, yet i think that black players make up 35% of pro footballers in this country. Something is very wrong.

Yup, although he's been ****ed off 5 times in 6 years. No black footballer would be allowed that many chances, certainly not at the same level (championship) That's the point i'm making, i don't really care about the position swansea finished in.

Heisenberg

Hey, I didn't make you write your initial post which didn't prove anything about his ability to manage.

Maybe you should have started with this one