+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy 80th Birthday (yesterday) to Bobby Woodruff

Happy 80th Birthday (yesterday) to Bobby Woodruff

Re: Happy 80th Birthday (yesterday) to Bobby Woodruff

2.15 into this video for one of Bobby's best goals;-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0iYYu3M4Itg

Happy birthday to a fine ex City player.

Bloody hell, you’d know him a mile away. He’s kept in shape. Great player for the Club

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Bloody hell, you’d know him a mile away. He’s kept in shape. Great player for the Club
    He was a great player for the club but towards the end of his career people used to say he was only in the team for his throw ins (which were remarkable). I think he lived in Wenvoe next door to John Toshack.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    2.15 into this video for one of Bobby's best goals;-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0iYYu3M4Itg

Happy birthday to a fine ex City player.
    I see we haven't changed our style of play since 1970 but then of course we were far better to watch.

Typical City, a squad that should really have played in the First Division. 2 goals that were absolutely brilliant and then ......

Happy birthday Bobby. I am sure heonce lived on the Cowslip estate in Penarth. His son also played, think he may have had a few games for Newport County.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    He was a great player for the club but towards the end of his career people used to say he was only in the team for his throw ins (which were remarkable). I think he lived in Wenvoe next door to John Toshack.
    Apparently that photo was taken on Wenvoe GC.

He always did a good job when he played for us. (from what I can remember anyway!) 👍

I see we haven't changed our style of play since 1970 but then of course we were far better to watch.
    Ian Gibson was worth the admission money by himself.

Ian Gibson was worth the admission money by himself.
    I agree with that. By far the best midfielder I've seen playing for the club.

First Team

Pretty sure he lived in Wenvoe as his kid played for their age group teams in the Barry and District.

Bobby made a heck of a difference to our midfield when we signed him from Palace (I think). I know I'm looking at things through rose-coloured specs but just look at the quality of midfielders we had in that era: Gibson, Woodruff, Leslie Lea, not to mention Malcolm Clarke, Spider and out wide Peter King and Barrie Jones. And later on Johnny Vincent, Doug Livermore, etc.

Even one decent playmaker would improve the current side immeasurably but for whatever reason the management don't consider it a priority.
    Lee Tomlin is the nearest we have but with his fitness level and injury concerns he can't be relied upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Bobby made a heck of a difference to our midfield when we signed him from Palace (I think). I know I'm looking at things through rose-coloured specs but just look at the quality of midfielders we had in that era: Gibson, Woodruff, Leslie Lea, not to mention Malcolm Clarke, Spider and out wide Peter King and Barrie Jones. And later on Johnny Vincent, Doug Livermore, etc.

Even one decent playmaker would improve the current side immeasurably but for whatever reason the management don't consider it a priority.
    Lee Tomlin is the nearest we have but with his fitness level and injury concerns he can't be relied upon.
    Tomlin wouldn’t live with them. Another from that era Greg Farrell on his day unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Tomlin wouldn’t live with them. Another from that era Greg Farrell on his day unplayable.
    Yes on his day Farrell was unplayable. Unfortunately I missed probably his best ever game for us. For memory I think it was a thumping we gave to Middlesbrough but I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Pretty sure he lived in Wenvoe as his kid played for their age group teams in the Barry and District.
    See the fourth post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Yes on his day Farrell was unplayable. Unfortunately I missed probably his best ever game for us. For memory I think it was a thumping we gave to Middlesbrough but I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong.
    I might be wrong on this but I think the score was 5-3 to us despite the fact that their centre-half Dickie Rooks got a hat trick!! I was there, as they say, but given that it was a few years ago now my memory may be playing tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    I might be wrong on this but I think the score was 5-3 to us despite the fact that their centre-half Dickie Rooks got a hat trick!! I was there, as they say, but given that it was a few years ago now my memory may be playing tricks.
    It's not - you're right in every detail .

It's not - you're right in every detail .
    Thanks for that. It's encouraging that I can still have an accurate recollection that far back. Now if only I could remember what happened yesterday BTW Farrell was brilliant that night. Still believe that it was one of the best displays by any City player that I have seen.

Ah Dickie Rooks, now there's a blast from the past. Played for the wurzels too if memory serves me right.

I'm sure somebody on here will know if any other centre half has scored a hat-trick against us although I don't know of any.

There can't be too many centre halves who've scored a hat-trick full stop but I remember Chris Nichol scored 4 times in one match, 2 for his own side and 2 own goals !

I agree with that. By far the best midfielder I've seen playing for the club.
    yep and whitts

Thanks for that. It's encouraging that I can still have an accurate recollection that far back. Now if only I could remember what happened yesterday BTW Farrell was brilliant that night. Still believe that it was one of the best displays by any City player that I have seen.
    I was there too. I’ve never seen a better performance by an individual in a City shirt since. Absolutely brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I was there too. I’ve never seen a better performance by an individual in a City shirt since. Absolutely brilliant.
    Apart from that performance I don't think Farrell was that brilliant. I seem to recall him scoring one goal which ended the joke that Cardiff City was the only club not to score a goal in the reign of a Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Happy birthday Bobby. I am sure heonce lived on the Cowslip estate in Penarth. His son also played, think he may have had a few games for Newport County.
    Spedger
    His son went on to play in Belgium where he started his own business, which he has had ever since. The last I heard from him was that he was also managing a Belgian team in the third tier or fourth tier or similar. He's a huge City fan.

Apart from that performance I don't think Farrell was that brilliant. I seem to recall him scoring one goal which ended the joke that Cardiff City was the only club not to score a goal in the reign of a Pope.
    Sadly, you are quite right. Flashes of what he was capable of were few and far between. Just one brilliant performance on one night when he was absolutely unplayable has engraved itself on the memories of those who were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Sadly, you are quite right. Flashes of what he was capable of were few and far between. Just one brilliant performance on one night when he was absolutely unplayable has engraved itself on the memories of those who were there.
    Similarly, Tony Villars put in a stellar performance against Crystal Palace but never reached those heights again.

There are probably lots of other examples of City players who have flattered to deceive over the years.