+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VAR and offside. It's such a simple solution.

VAR and offside. It's such a simple solution.

It's a major change but will solve all the problems.

A player should only be given offside if he is 100% offside.

Surely it is that simple.

I rest my case.
    Discuss

Re: VAR and offside. It's such a simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post

I rest my case.
    Discuss
    What is 100% offside?

Does it really change anything other than where the line is drawn?

Daylight... And for a forward a trailing arm will be an asset.

Daylight.
    I think we'd still see mistakes except we'd start seeing armits and finger nails touching a defender rather than sneaking past them.

I think your suggestion works if there's no VAR but I think as long as there is VAR it just changes where they're drawing the line and leads to similar mistakes.

I rest my case.
    Discuss
    Plagiarism at its finest

This was posted at 8.13am this morning:——-

The offside is simple to solve.
    As the advantage should be with the attacking team, the whole body has to be past the imaginary line to be offside. SIMPLES

It's simple to fix. If you have to watch the replay over and over in ultra slow motion or need to draw lines on the pitch give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker as any possible miniscule offside is not clear and obvious.
    Last edited by PontBlue; 10-11-20 at 19:41. Reason: typo

I think it's simple. Have linesman's call, in the same way there's umpire's call in cricket.

For those who don't know what that means, in cricket, when there's an LBW decision to be made by the 3rd umpire, if there's a degree of ambiguity as to whether the ball would definitely have hit the stumps, the umpire's original decision is final. I don't know what the figure is, but if the ball is showing to clip (or miss) the stumps by a very small margin, the original decision takes precedence.

In football, it's surely possible to agree on an acceptable margin of error. Say the rule was the attacker had to be within 3 inches of the offside line. If the linesman gave offside and the attacker was such a small fraction onside, linesman's decision counts. Similarly, if they give onside and the attacker is that small fraction offside, linesman's decision counts. There also needs to be a decision as to what body parts count for offside and onside decisions.

Maybe attackers have to adjust their runs. Learn to time the run so that the risk of being caught offside is minimised.

As mentioned , all you do with the daylight is change the dotted line and minuscule analysis to a different place. People would still complain.

Same thing for hand balls and defenders. Gomez and the other fella should have had their hands by their sides. Other players do it when running in a similar situation. Those handballs on the weekend could have resulted in goals. Intentionality is impossible to ascertain.

The handballs where its headed onto a jumping hand at super close quarters and the type of offside given against the Leeds players should be overruled. Common sense can fix a lot of these more unusual situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think it's simple. Have linesman's call, in the same way there's umpire's call in cricket.

For those who don't know what that means, in cricket, when there's an LBW decision to be made by the 3rd umpire, if there's a degree of ambiguity as to whether the ball would definitely have hit the stumps, the umpire's original decision is final. I don't know what the figure is, but if the ball is showing to clip (or miss) the stumps by a very small margin, the original decision takes precedence.

In football, it's surely possible to agree on an acceptable margin of error. Say the rule was the attacker had to be within 3 inches of the offside line. If the linesman gave offside and the attacker was such a small fraction onside, linesman's decision counts. Similarly, if they give onside and the attacker is that small fraction offside, linesman's decision counts. There also needs to be a decision as to what body parts count for offside and onside decisions.
    I'm with you for your first couple of paragraphs, I'm sure most sports do that and if there isn't a clear reason to overturn the original decision then they don't. Football talks about doing this but can't help itself. It messes things up then tinkers with the rules to try and stop that mess happening again but this just creates a new mess and so on.

That's the problem with your third paragraph. Create a three inch margin of error then VAR will spend five minutes trying to work out whether the offside occurred inside or outside the three inches. Just moving the line won't solve any of the VAR issues as a number of posters on here are patiently trying to point out.

The decision about body parts has been made, it's in the laws of the game and Forest Green Bluebird helpfully put it in the Palace v Leeds thread.

question...can you score a goal with an armpit?
    answer...yes
    therefore if your armpit is offside then it's offside.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I'm with you for your first couple of paragraphs, I'm sure most sports do that and if there isn't a clear reason to overturn the original decision then they don't. Football talks about doing this but can't help itself. It messes things up then tinkers with the rules to try and stop that mess happening again but this just creates a new mess and so on.

That's the problem with your third paragraph. Create a three inch margin of error then VAR will spend five minutes trying to work out whether the offside occurred inside or outside the three inches. Just moving the line won't solve any of the VAR issues as a number of posters on here are patiently trying to point out.

The decision about body parts has been made, it's in the laws of the game and Forest Green Bluebird helpfully put it in the Palace v Leeds thread.
    Yes, good points. There was me thinking I had a solution!

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    question...can you score a goal with an armpit?
    answer...yes
    therefore if your armpit is offside then it's offside.
    I'd like to see the shape on the footballer who had the ability to get their armpit in an offside position.

Get rid of it............simples

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'd like to see the shape on the footballer who had the ability to get their armpit in an offside position.
    .....😎

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, good points. There was me thinking I had a solution!
    I think that’s the issue with any offside rule change as long as there is VAR. Whatever is decided will just lead to the line being drawn somewhere else.

I think the back foot is the simplest answer. The whole of the back foot should have to be in front of the last player to be deemed offside.

Offside should be when the whole of the body is in front of the last defender.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I totally agree, as I stated in post 5, of this thread.

Whole body, no toes, armpits, noses (matt li-tiss), lob-ons, fingers, any thing

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think the back foot is the simplest answer. The whole of the back foot should have to be in front of the last player to be deemed offside.
    Again just drawing the line in a different place.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Just drawing the line in a different place, doesn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Again just drawing the line in a different place.
    Offside at its core is defined by a player's position either side of an imaginary line, you can't redefine that. Moving the line is about all you can do. If you have another solution I'd be interested to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Just drawing the line in a different place, doesn't change a thing.
    Of course it does.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Of course it does.
    I think VAR is the issue not where the offside happens.

I we say the whole of the body for example they will be looking to see if a bit of toe overlaps with another bit of toe.

Even daylight will lead to arguments over what daylight is and where the line is drawn.

Whichever rule they choose leads to someone drawing a line on VAR and the same arguments will still happen.

Unless there is a way to automate it, the same arguments will keep happening.

I rest my case.
    Discuss
    Nobody can disagree with your suggestion because offside is a binary rule, you are either offside 100%, or you are not. There is no such thing as 75% offside.

So your suggestion I am afraid changes nothing at all.

My suggestion is simple too but would make a difference. My suggestion is to have VAR **** a very, very long way off and not come back, and accept that the world is imperfect and mistakes will be made. And then arrest John Terry.

the problem with the whole body being in front of the last defender when the ball is played is that it gives the attacker a huge advantage, that'll mean that half of a players body can be in front of the last man as the ball leaves the player making the pass. It will lead to defences sitting deeper or camping out on the 18 yard line against players with pace etc. This isn't as simple as people seem to think it is, there has to be an element of fairness towards defenders as attacking players will have one serious amount of tolerance when it comes to making their runs.