+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VAR and offside. It's such a simple solution.

Re: VAR and offside. It's such a simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Nobody can disagree with your suggestion because offside is a binary rule, you are either offside 100%, or you are not. There is no such thing as 75% offside.

So your suggestion I am afraid changes nothing at all.

My suggestion is simple too but would make a difference. My suggestion is to have VAR **** a very, very long way off and not come back, and accept that the world is imperfect and mistakes will be made. And then arrest John Terry.
    Post of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think VAR is the issue not where the offside happens.

I we say the whole of the body for example they will be looking to see if a bit of toe overlaps with another bit of toe.

Even daylight will lead to arguments over what daylight is and where the line is drawn.

Whichever rule they choose leads to someone drawing a line on VAR and the same arguments will still happen.

Unless there is a way to automate it, the same arguments will keep happening.
    I have no problem with the VAR line. I trust it, I think it's a good thing. I think if both a player's feet are in front of the line he should be offside. I know there would still be fine margins, but if it were kept to feet only and both of them had to be in front of the line, I think it would be easier to take because as a concept it makes more sense. The player would look offside. The law as it stands now is not relatable visually. Bamford was offside, but he doesn't look offside. So naturally, people are up-in-arms about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    the problem with the whole body being in front of the last defender when the ball is played is that it gives the attacker a huge advantage, that'll mean that half of a players body can be in front of the last man as the ball leaves the player making the pass. It will lead to defences sitting deeper or camping out on the 18 yard line against players with pace etc. This isn't as simple as people seem to think it is, there has to be an element of fairness towards defenders as attacking players will have one serious amount of tolerance when it comes to making their runs.
    Fans go to see goals scored.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    And fans don't like other teams scoring goals against their team. What's it to be?

And fans don't like other teams scoring goals against their team. What's it to be?

6 - 5

60's/70's, Defenders kicked chunks out of attackers

80's/90's, Defenders became sly, in kicking chunks out of attacking players

00's/01's, attackers started fighting back with skill

02's VAR ruined football

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Just drawing the line in a different place, doesn't change a thing.
    Surely a whole body (clear ) is easier to view or measure than a hand ,knee,or foot ??

As a minimum it would take away these current decisions based on the odd limb being off side ?

6 - 5
    6- 5 equals full stadiums if we were allowed to .

Over ruled football equals less fans, fine I suppose in these Covid times.

6 - 5
    A mockery then. It wouldn't come to that, but if i was a defender and the attacking player had that much of an advantage in an offside situation, then i reckon that i'd sit deep. Defenders aren't interested if it's an equal footrace, give attacking players the near option of never being offside would cause problems in my opinion. As it stands, level is onside, one bollock south of the defender-offside. Now some people are calling for the whole body. An attacking player in a bodily position to take a pass isn't going to be upright or square on, it's as good as giving them 2 yards in my opinion. Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Surely a whole body (clear ) is easier to view or measure than a hand ,knee,or foot ??

As a minimum it would take away these current decisions based on the odd limb being off side ?
    But it's unfair. There has to be a little daylight between the attacker and defenders body in order to rid any doubt. It's to much of an advantage in my opinion.

6 - 5

60's/70's, Defenders kicked chunks out of attackers

80's/90's, Defenders became sly, in kicking chunks out of attacking players

00's/01's, attackers started fighting back with skill

02's VAR ruined football
    Was doing exercises To the Four Tops "I Can't Help Myself"and you all got in before the edit

What I am saying is, "Players will adapt themselves to the changes"

Was doing exercises To the Four Tops "I Can't Help Myself"and you all got in before the edit

What I am saying is, "Players will adapt themselves to the changes"
    Ofcourse, isn't that the case with most things? we can all adapt, given time, it doesn't mean that the change was/is fair or an improvement on something. I appreciate that you would see it as an improvement to the game and fair enough. I don't, heavily on the side of the attacker, defenders who had the timing and ability to step out become shit players overnight, and players like earnie, who couldn't time his run for love nor money get a free pass and a few million more for lacking awareness and timing. I don't like it.

Ofcourse, isn't that the case with most things? we can all adapt, given time, it doesn't mean that the change was/is fair or an improvement on something. I appreciate that you would see it as an improvement to the game and fair enough. I don't, heavily on the side of the attacker, defenders who had the timing and ability to step out become shit players overnight, and players like earnie, who couldn't time his run for love nor money get a free pass and a few million more for lacking awareness and timing. I don't like it.

I admire everyone's point of view, but as someone earlier in the thread pointed out "HOW CAN YOU BE 75% OFFSIDE" ?

If 75% of you is offside, 25% is onside and I thought (maybe wrongly), that the advantage was with the attacker, so he's onside.

Whole body for me.

Players could have a small sensor built into their shirts but they would probably end up wearing their shirts back-to-front to seek an advantage.
    My word, these tablets are strong.........

I admire everyone's point of view, but as someone earlier in the thread pointed out "HOW CAN YOU BE 75% OFFSIDE" ?

If 75% of you is offside, 25% is onside and I thought (maybe wrongly), that the advantage was with the attacker, so he's onside.

Whole body for me.
    It's if you're level with the last defender, then you're onside, anything after, toe nail, headband etc is off side. I'd say that before VAR those very tight calls would probably go the in the attackers favour. If i had my way then i'd scrap VAR and the whole football world would just have to accept mistakes will happen.

Simple solution if it’s a Cardiff attacker he is not offside ever!!!

Just don't have offside.
    Scrap the rule no more flecking arguments about it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    Simple solution if it’s a Cardiff attacker he is not offside ever!!!
    Except in the case of Earnie, when he popped out his mother all those years ago he was probably in an offside position.

I totally agree, as I stated in post 5, of this thread.

Whole body, no toes, armpits, noses (matt li-tiss), lob-ons, fingers, any thing
    Agree with all the above so why don't we just turn these VAR decisions on their head and say, if any part of the body is onside, yes even a finger tip, it is NOT offside. Reverse the VAR silliness in the attackers favour?

Why don't we just turn these VAR decisions on their head and say, if any part of the body is onside, yes even a finger tip, it is NOT offside. Reverse the VAR silliness in the attackers favour?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    Why don't we just turn these VAR decisions on their head and say, if any part of the body is onside, yes even a finger tip, it is NOT offside. Reverse the VAR silliness in the attackers favour?
    You still need to use the lines, attackers will just play even further on the shoulder. You're just moving the point of reference.

It's if you're level with the last defender, then you're onside, anything after, toe nail, headband etc is off side. I'd say that before VAR those very tight calls would probably go the in the attackers favour. If i had my way then i'd scrap VAR and the whole football world would just have to accept mistakes will happen.
    Amen to this. Any moaning, you've seen what the alternative is, so suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You still need to use the lines, attackers will just play even further on the shoulder. You're just moving the point of reference.
    I don't know why half the people on the thread don't grasp this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Amen to this. Any moaning, you've seen what the alternative is, so suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I have no problem with the VAR line. I trust it, I think it's a good thing. I think if both a player's feet are in front of the line he should be offside. I know there would still be fine margins, but if it were kept to feet only and both of them had to be in front of the line, I think it would be easier to take because as a concept it makes more sense. The player would look offside. The law as it stands now is not relatable visually. Bamford was offside, but he doesn't look offside. So naturally, people are up-in-arms about it.
    So the issue now becomes one of educating the public. I think this is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

What does clear mean in this sense?