+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Re: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I am not defending him in any way but his comment regarding black players is due to the age and times he was brought up in, coloured was not meant in any disparaging way, it was used more respectfully than other terms

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I am not defending him in any way but his comment regarding black players is due to the age and times he was brought up in, coloured was not meant in any disparaging way, it was used more respectfully than other terms
    I may have said the same thing if it was an isolated incident, but the examples shown towards the end of the piece make it clear that this was not the case.

I may have said the same thing if it was an isolated incident, but the examples shown towards the end of the piece make it clear that this was not the case.
    Exactly. It's not just the terms. It's the assumptions based on race. I have no problem with someone confusing "person of color" with "colored person".

Sorry but this is no excuse. If he was 83 maybe, but he's 63 and really should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Sorry but this is no excuse. If he was 83 maybe, but he's 63 and really should know better.
    Absolutely this!

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    It’s not an excuse, it’s as it was over 20 years ago, the term Black in use now is a relatively recent term. As I said I’m not defending him but I can understand his use of the term Coloured, as for the rest of his testimony that’s another thing.

The thing is if a man on the street said it fine we can't all be up to date on what's offensive all the time. But if you are the head of a huge corporation speaking to parliament on diversity while being filmed I would suggest being this out of touch makes you unfit for the role.

My best mate of 40+ years is of Jamaican heritage. I have always described him as coloured (I am now 61). He ain't bothered by it in the least. He never has been, nor will he ever be. It's always how I have described him, and how I always will. One or two feckwits have called me rascist over the years for not saying he is black. Stupid dumb feckwits! It's only the right-on, Marxist cum Nazi pc snowflakes that get their knickers in a twist about it anyway. Feckers should be put up against a wall and shot. Rant over....

Genuine question, hope it doesn’t come across as ignorant, I’m just clueless, but why is coloured offensive, but Kamala Harris being referred to as woman of colour not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    Genuine question, hope it doesn’t come across as ignorant, I’m just clueless, but why is coloured offensive, but Kamala Harris being referred to as woman of colour not ?
    I find it rather curious too - and I have a problem calling people 'black'. When is someone's skin colour (which is never really black) considered to be black when there are complexions of of many hues between the two extremes of black and white (and not that so-called white people are actually white anyway).

I have many non white friends, who decended from a host of other countries, who I grew up with in the 60's 70's and 80's and you'd never call them "black" as it was deemed insulting.

Even though it is now politically correct to use the term "black" I still have a problem with it now.

I would imagine that if you've used the term "coloured" all your life, particularly if you are in your 60's and 70's, it is easy to have a slip of the tongue.

(note there are other rather large faux pas from Clarke mind you so I'm not defending him).

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I have many non white friends, who decended from a host of other countries, who I grew up with in the 60's 70's and 80's and you'd never call them "black" as it was deemed insulting.

Even though it is now politically correct to use the term "black" I still have a problem with it now.

I would imagine that if you've used the term "coloured" all your life, particularly if you are in your 60's and 70's, it is easy to have a slip of the tongue.

(note there are other rather large faux pas from Clarke mind you so I'm not defending him).
    Avoiding unnecessary offence is difficult I agree but Clarke:

Has presumably been a recipient of significant media training;
    Was appearing before a Parliamentary Committee;
    Made a bit of a pig's ear of a previous appearance in front of that committee;
    Made dubious remarks about various groups which were at odds with the agenda of inclusivity.

I was left with the feeling that if this was him on his best behaviour knowing the kind of audience he faced what are his real views and how are they articulated away from public gaze?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Made dubious remarks about various groups which were at odds with the agenda of inclusivity.

I was left with the feeling that if this was him on his best behaviour knowing the kind of audience he faced what are his real views and how are they articulated away from public gaze?
    Well put, he has on a few occasions said things that does show his true feelings.Not a nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

My view entirely.

This isn't an "he's from a different time" issue. He will be one of those types of people who think it is "hard to say anything without causing offence". It wasn't just his outdated terminology (possibly borne from the perspired desire to "not offend") but his pigeon-holing of entire races of people as seeking specific careers and so on. This guy isn't a victim of progress, and his downfall is entirely self-inflicted.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I find it rather curious too - and I have a problem calling people 'black'. When is someone's skin colour (which is never really black) considered to be black when there are complexions of of many hues between the two extremes of black and white (and not that so-called white people are actually white anyway).
    So do I. I'd rather not be referred to as white either.

However 'black' is acceptable but 'negro' is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    So do I. I'd rather not be referred to as white either.

However 'black' is acceptable but 'negro' is not.
    As a matter of interest, does anyone on here know how the term 'negro' is considered in Spanish-speaking countries (and in relation to people) as it literally means 'black'? Is the word less culturally loaded in Spanish and because the English usage of that word arose predominantly in the context of the Deep South and in an English-speaking environment?
    I remember the Evra v Suarez issue when the intended use of the word was disputed but my Spanish isn't good enough to understand the nuances involved:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...z-patrice-evra

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As a matter of interest, does anyone on here know how the term 'negro' is considered in Spanish-speaking countries (and in relation to people) as it literally means 'black'? Is the word less culturally loaded in Spanish and because the English usage of that word arose predominantly in the context of the Deep South and in an English-speaking environment?
    I remember the Evra v Suarez issue when the intended use of the word was disputed but my Spanish isn't good enough to understand the nuances involved:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...z-patrice-evra
    Was that the longest taking of a corner in the history of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...qn4-story.html

There you go. I'll refer to my post made in the thread about garry Monk's sacking. If people can't see that some people at the top of the footballing establishment- including club owners and chairmen-women-aren't racist then they're kidding themselves.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

"Person of Colour" is acceptable.

"Coloured Person" is unacceptable.

Will the term "Black" ever become unacceptable?

Being gay a “life choice”. Dear God he belongs in another age. The Stone Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    "Person of Colour" is acceptable.

"Coloured Person" is unacceptable.

Will the term "Black" ever become unacceptable?

Maybe more pertinent, are there many black people who feel uncomfortable about being referred to as black ? If the answer is yes, then expect there to be a campaign to change to a different term such as 'person of colour' in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Maybe more pertinent, are there many black people who feel uncomfortable about being referred to as black ? If the answer is yes, then expect there to be a campaign to change to a different term such as 'person of colour' in the not too distant future.
    If Black isn't an acceptable term how come there is a Black Lives Matter movement?

There needs to be an algorithm of what is appropriate terms these days, so not to offend