+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Re: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Come on mate you’re chatting bollocks

Wasn’t this rumour invented by some looney in America because in the shops they were saying happy holidays to be inclusive of thanks giving and christmas?

They’ve never stopped putting Christmas decorations up in one town centre even in the U.K. ffs.

If it’s quite well documented find us one trustworthy source showing it.
    People complaining that Christmas is banned is basically a Christmas tradition now.

This usually refers to "winterval"
    Birmingham Council branded a lot of different events "winterval" including some Christmas ones. People started to claim that this was so as not to offend Muslims, and that idea caught on amongst some people. It was never true, and has been widely debunked.

If you google Winterval Myth you'll see a dozen or more articles on it.

You can’t say anything at work these days because of political correctness they’ve ever cancelled Christmas!

Are the majority of the board retired people reading the daily express or something?
    You can't even say you're English these days without being arrested and thrown in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You can't even say you're English these days without being arrested and thrown in jail.
    What are you saying? That you get thrown in jail? Just for saying you're English? That happens these days?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Well I for one find that we are still discussing the concept of race fascinating insomuch its the 21st century. Men and women from all across the globe have contributed towards unlocking the human genome - we know that skin colour is determined by genetics in the same way eye colour and hair colour is. Racists are basically science deniers.
    Science means knowledge and on that subject:
    About twenty years ago and out of a sense of devilment I used to go into extreme-right chatrooms on the internet. I never faked agreement with any of the sentiments expressed and I merely played the role of a naif. I would ask them to please explain the term Aryan as I was confused. After receiving an ill-informed reply or two I would gently ask them a few more 'naive' questions as my understanding was that it related to India/Iran and I didn't quite get it. Some of them didn't even realise that fact and others would tie themselves in knots as they were hugely ill-informed on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What are you saying? That you get thrown in jail? Just for saying you're English? That happens these days?

People complaining that Christmas is banned is basically a Christmas tradition now.

This usually refers to "winterval"
    Birmingham Council branded a lot of different events "winterval" including some Christmas ones. People started to claim that this was so as not to offend Muslims, and that idea caught on amongst some people. It was never true, and has been widely debunked.

If you google Winterval Myth you'll see a dozen or more articles on it.
    I just googled decorations being banned from offices and the Dailymail ran a story in 2006 saying 75% offices are banning decorations because they're afraid of offending people based on a survey done in the US.

If you find the same story being reported by someone who isn't trying to wind up the sort of people who love this sort of stuff it looks like the year before 71% of offices in the US didn't allow personal christmas decorations because it looks unprofessional.

A case of the whole country reading a headline and getting annoyed about nothing yet again.

I just googled decorations being banned from offices and the Dailymail ran a story in 2006 saying 75% offices are banning decorations because they're afraid of offending people based on a survey done in the US.

If you find the same story being reported by someone who isn't trying to wind up the sort of people who love this sort of stuff it looks like the year before 71% of offices in the US didn't allow personal christmas decorations because it looks unprofessional.

A case of the whole country reading a headline and getting annoyed about nothing yet again.
    Having been in many American offices in the build up to Christmas I can tell you that you would be in no doubt that Christmas was approaching, but yes much more likely to be an expensive official display that people pitting a bit of their own tinsel from home around their cubicle.

Feedback

Back to the thread, has anyone at the FA spoken to the relevant community leaders and asked if they were indeed offended by the wording used? Or have the powers that be simply adopted the same old approach that we are so uncomfortable with the concept of skin colour that we've just assumed it must be offensive?

Back to the thread, has anyone at the FA spoken to the relevant community leaders and asked if they were indeed offended by the wording used? Or have the powers that be simply adopted the same old approach that we are so uncomfortable with the concept of skin colour that we've just assumed it must be offensive?
    Have you actually heard what he said?

Feedback

Have you actually heard what he said?
    Yes, he referred to black people as coloured, which we all know is an anachronistic term, dated, but hardly offensive.

I don't think it was too do with offense I think it was to do with the head of a huge corporation doing a speech about diversity infront of parliament and yet again showing he is out of touch.

His role was untenable due to him being a moron, not because people were offended.

Feedback

I don't think it was too do with offense I think it was to do with the head of a huge corporation doing a speech about diversity infront of parliament and yet again showing he is out of touch.

His role was untenable due to him being a moron, not because people were offended.
    so you have no issues with the words he's used, just that they were dated. right.

and because he's not used words you prefer, he's a moron. I see.

and people wonder why some say we have political correctness gone mad.

Yes, he referred to black people as coloured, which we all know is an anachronistic term, dated, but hardly offensive.
    He used the term "coloured" to describe black people
    He said that gay people choose to be gay.
    He said that women footballers don't like the ball being kicked at them
    He said theren't aren't many asian football players as they have different interests, which is why there are many asians in the FA IT department.

Using an old fashioned term to described someone's race is ignorant at best, but when you're in his position - fronting an organisation that involves so many black people you really have to go out of your way to be that ignorant.

He's clearly made no atempt to educate himself or even try to understand any of these issues - as such he is not suitable to be in that job.

That is complete bollocks
    A nicely constructed response RJK, well thought out and elucidated.

Another example is Stoke on Trent rebranding Christmas as Winterfest in 2014, as reported in the Telegraph and Express. Hopefully that example will be more to your liking. It's not too difficult to find similar examples but forget Christmas, the point I'm making is that political correctness is not always a good thing. Especially when decisions are taken by individuals without consulting the public first which ends up alienating a not inconsiderable chunk of the population.

so you have no issues with the words he's used, just that they were dated. right.

He's a ****ing idiot to be in that job , at the very least

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    A nicely constructed response RJK, well thought out and elucidated.

Another example is Stoke on Trent rebranding Christmas as Winterfest in 2014, as reported in the Telegraph and Express. Hopefully that example will be more to your liking. It's not too difficult to find similar examples but forget Christmas, the point I'm making is that political correctness is not always a good thing. Especially when decisions are taken by individuals without consulting the public first which ends up alienating a not inconsiderable chunk of the population.
    What makes me laugh is the people I know , but don't associate with , who kick up a fuss about Xmas being banned and that our Christian values lol are being eroded don't go to church and haven't been since got married , they are just offended for the sake of it

He's a moron because he was giving a talk about diversity and used an outdated term. I couldn't care less about it.

Come on mate you’re chatting bollocks

Wasn’t this rumour invented by some looney in America because in the shops they were saying happy holidays to be inclusive of thanks giving and christmas?

They’ve never stopped putting Christmas decorations up in one town centre even in the U.K. ffs.

If it’s quite well documented find us one trustworthy source showing it.
    Croesy, I'm crap at attaching articles using my mobile ! However it was from the Daily Express in 2006. I'm not clever enough to spread fake news lol

See my reply to RJK for a more recent example in Stoke from 2014, in which someone decided to rebrand Christmas as Winterfest. Didn't go down too well I gather.

Leaving aside Christmas, the point I'm making is that political correctness is not always a good thing. Something that is likely to be controversial should in my opinion always be open to public debate.

Croesy, I'm crap at attaching articles using my mobile ! However it was from the Daily Express in 2006. I'm not clever enough to spread fake news lol

don't trust anything about political correctness from them.

It was the same on I read. There was a slight interest in offices not having christmas decorations but it was down to the office not looking professional nothing to do with offending people, don't get taken in by it.

See my reply to RJK for a more recent example in Stoke from 2014, in which someone decided to rebrand Christmas as Winterfest. Didn't go down too well I gather.

Leaving aside Christmas, the point I'm making is that political correctness is not always a good thing. Something that is likely to be controversial should in my opinion always be open to public debate.
    Similar to the Birmingham "rebranding" it wasn't done for fear of offending muslims, there were still elements of the festivities that contained the word "christmas"
    People just see stuff like this and like to kick up a fuss and blame it on muslims when there's really no truth in it.
    Its a quick and easy way to write a newspaper article that'll get people angry over their morning toast, and you can probably reprint it each year.

These things have been debunked many times.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on.communities

As usual the real outrage and offense is coming from people who read the daily express and daily mail and getting offended by proxy.

As usual no real world examples of people having trouble from political correctness just people saying they're walking on eggshells for no real reason.

And people defending someone for being sacked despite not being able to grasp why

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What makes me laugh is the people I know , but don't associate with , who kick up a fuss about Xmas being banned and that our Christian values lol are being eroded don't go to church and haven't been since got married , they are just offended for the sake of it
    Sludge, I would imagine that it's not so much about Christian values being eroded but more likely that people hold certain traditions very dear and don't want others tinkering with them.

Sludge, I would imagine that it's not so much about Christian values being eroded but more likely that people hold certain traditions very dear and don't want others tinkering with them.
    In what way are the traditions of Christmas being tinkered with?

We seem to be living in some mad paradox at the moment where people simultaneous moan about Christmas stuff being put up and in the shops earlier and earlier every year and Christmas being stiffled.

We seem to be living in some mad paradox at the moment where people simultaneous moan about Christmas stuff being put up and in the shops earlier and earlier every year and Christmas being stiffled.
    At least it gives us something to have a civilised (sometimes) debate about 😊

I just wish we could get as passionate about our beloved football team lol