+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Re: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    We seem to be living in some mad paradox at the moment where people simultaneous moan about Christmas stuff being put up and in the shops earlier and earlier every year and Christmas being stiffled.
    It would perhaps be an irony if some people complaining about Christmas being 'diluted' are probably not practising Christians.......

In what way are the traditions of Christmas being tinkered with?
    I think I've just walked on to the set of Groundhog Day !!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I think I've just walked on to the set of Groundhog Day !!
    So the only thing is Christmas Decorations not being allowed in offices from an article from 2006?

I'm 35 and as far as I can see not much has changed about Christmas since I was a kid.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    LOL I said yes please just take my word for it.
    Oh no, that's not good enough on here, you need at least 2 links, several personal witnesses and a voice recording of the actual incident. Otherwise you're just making it up to have an argument. Honest!!!

But on a more serious note, my father were he alive toady would be about 9 days off 111 yr old. He had a name for every single race you could thing of, or with whom he'd had dealings in his life, but he wouldn't speak badly of anyone. It was just the names used to identify and separate people, in what was, particularly during and after 2 big wars when there were lots of "Johnnie Foreigners" in this country.
    He had the following covered:
    french
    Italians
    black folks,
    persons of colour,
    Jews (Not zionists)
    Polish
    Scottish
    Londoners, (I think to my Dad they were a separate race)
    Germans
    Russians
    Dutch
    Americans.........to name but a few. I suspect lots of the descriptive words he used then would not raise an eyebrow in this country used today, whilst others certainly would. I wonder why that might be?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    He used the term "coloured" to describe black people
    He said that gay people choose to be gay.
    He said that women footballers don't like the ball being kicked at them
    He said theren't aren't many asian football players as they have different interests, which is why there are many asians in the FA IT department.

Using an old fashioned term to described someone's race is ignorant at best, but when you're in his position - fronting an organisation that involves so many black people you really have to go out of your way to be that ignorant.

He's clearly made no atempt to educate himself or even try to understand any of these issues - as such he is not suitable to be in that job.
    what you are describing is political correctness - people are getting upset with him because he has used dated terms. It should be about whether someone is the best person for the job (I have no idea whether he is or not but that's not the point we are discussing), and not whether they are familiar with what is and isn't fashionable or least likely to cause offence to the woke generation.

agree with your stance re: gays - I've already commented elsewhere in this thread

Are asians under represented? I have no idea whether they are or not and if they are, what the reasons for that under representation might be. If you can show me your evidence that states his comments are wrong, then please share it. If you think they're wrong just because they sound bigoted then come out and say it.

Feedback

He's a moron because he was giving a talk about diversity and used an outdated term. I couldn't care less about it.
    the fact you've posted several times in this thread indicates you clearly do.

so, we have the lead of the FA promoting equality and diversity - which ultimately is what is important - but because he isn't woke then that's it, off with his head.

I'm sure you agree there is no such thing as political correctness

Feedback

As usual the real outrage and offense is coming from people who read the daily express and daily mail and getting offended by proxy.

As usual no real world examples of people having trouble from political correctness just people saying they're walking on eggshells for no real reason.

And people defending someone for being sacked despite not being able to grasp why
    what about the head of the FA - he has just lost his job due to political correctness.

So the only thing is Christmas Decorations not being allowed in offices from an article from 2006?

I'm 35 and as far as I can see not much has changed about Christmas since I was a kid.
    Right, as Yvette from 'allo 'allo used to say, "I will say this only once"

I am referring to political correctness not Christmas per se. I've made this abundantly clear in my previous responses which you've apparently chosen to overlook.

The whole gist of my argument is that political correctness is not always a good thing, even the term itself has negative connotations. You may have a different viewpoint and I respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    the fact you've posted several times in this thread indicates you clearly do.

so, we have the lead of the FA promoting equality and diversity - which ultimately is what is important - but because he isn't woke then that's it, off with his head.

I'm sure you agree there is no such thing as political correctness
    He has had numerous chances where he's said daft things before now he's gone infront of parliament to talk about diversity and said something that was considered out of touch years ago showing he probably isn't the best person for the job.

There was a joke in the UK office about someone saying coloured because they were out of touch which aired 20 years ago. So it's not like it's something new, it's an important part of his job to keep up with this.

what about the head of the FA - he has just lost his job due to political correctness.
    No he hasn't, he lost his job because he held prejudices and expressed views completely incompatible with his role.

He fronts an organisation that has railed to reach out to the sizable South Asian population in the UK - why does he think that is? because asians prefer computers to football, he knows this because there are lots of asians working in his IT department.

He is head of an organisation that includes women's football and he thinks that women don't like being hit with a ball.

Using outdated terms for race is one thing (and I think he dd it through ignorance) but to do that while head of an organisation that represents thousands of black footballers is inexcusable.

He was in a public facing role - it was his job to speak on these subjects and in displaying his own prejudices so apparently he has failed th organisation and therefore he had to go.

No he hasn't, he lost his job because he held prejudices and expressed views completely incompatible with his role.

He fronts an organisation that has railed to reach out to the sizable South Asian population in the UK - why does he think that is? because asians prefer computers to football, he knows this because there are lots of asians working in his IT department.

He is head of an organisation that includes women's football and he thinks that women don't like being hit with a ball.

Using outdated terms for race is one thing (and I think he dd it through ignorance) but to do that while head of an organisation that represents thousands of black footballers is inexcusable.

He was in a public facing role - it was his job to speak on these subjects and in displaying his own prejudices so apparently he has failed th organisation and therefore he had to go.
    Surely no one can disagree with this?

Feedback

He has had numerous chances where he's said daft things before now he's gone infront of parliament to talk about diversity and said something that was considered out of touch years ago showing he probably isn't the best person for the job.

There was a joke in the UK office about someone saying coloured because they were out of touch which aired 20 years ago. So it's not like it's something new, it's an important part of his job to keep up with this.
    is it? why? surely you measure someone by their actions not their words. isn't it better for the head of the FA to be actively ensuring football is played by all and accessible to all, rather than spending time watching what words he may use for fear of offending the snowflakes.

Feedback

how do you know he is prejudicial just because he uses outdated terms. if anything, the one showing prejudice here is you. We all know individuals who use the term coloured instead of black and we know they aren't racist, yet here you are suggesting the very same thing.

I've asked for evidence and you've not provided any - that is fine, The Cheeto in chief did that last week in the US election so you're in good company. We can all say whatever we want, but that doesn't make it true.

we're going round in circles - you seem to think coloured is offensive, not everyone agrees.

how do you know he is prejudicial just because he uses outdated terms. if anything, the one showing prejudice here is you. We all know individuals who use the term coloured instead of black and we know they aren't racist, yet here you are suggesting the very same thing.

I've asked for evidence and you've not provided any - that is fine, The Cheeto in chief did that last week in the US election so you're in good company. We can all say whatever we want, but that doesn't make it true.

we're going round in circles - you seem to think coloured is offensive, not everyone agrees.
    Greg Clarke was Chairman of the Football Association

The FA produced its Vision on Diversity and Inclusion called In Pursuit of Progress

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefac...-progress.ashx

In the Foreword Greg Clarke said this:

Football shouldn’t just be trying to keep up with the pace of societal change; it should be helping lead it.

I guess some could think his choice of language at the Select Committee was leading societal change rather than keeping up with it but each to their own.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Greg Clarke was Chairman of the Football Association

The FA produced its Vision on Diversity and Inclusion called In Pursuit of Progress

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefac...-progress.ashx

In the Foreword Greg Clarke said this:

Football shouldn’t just be trying to keep up with the pace of societal change; it should be helping lead it.

I guess some could think his choice of language at the Select Committee was leading societal change rather than keeping up with it but each to their own.
    are you suggesting that Greg Clark is football?

are you suggesting that Greg Clark is football?
    Strange question.

No I was pointing out that one of the key signatories to the Vision in that document, who held a pivotal leadership role as Chairman was unable to show the Leadership and diminished the words he put his name towards. This alone made his position untenable.

Provide evidence that the people that you know that use the word 'Coloured' aren't racist. We can all say whatever we want, but that doesn't make it true-unless it suits our argument.

You clearly haven't taken on board anything I've written.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Provide evidence that the people that you know that use the word 'Coloured' aren't racist. We can all say whatever we want, but that doesn't make it true-unless it suits our argument.
    Well considering she's black and describes herself as coloured, I'd hazard a guess she's entitled to hold that view. Maybe she is racist, but having married a pony white arsed husband, I'd hazard a guess she's not.

Feedback

Strange question.

No I was pointing out that one of the key signatories to the Vision in that document, who held a pivotal leadership role as Chairman was unable to show the Leadership and diminished the words he put his name towards. This alone made his position untenable.
    You're defining (his) leadership by actions not deeds.

Feedback

You clearly haven't taken on board anything I've written.
    Of course I have, I just happen to disagree with it.

I might be wrong here but unless you've walked a mile in a man's shoes you can't really comment on what he has experienced.

UTSL got it right earlier on. The white community are imploding over whether this is or is not an issue yet everyone else is laughing at the futility of the arguments.

Well considering she's black and describes herself as coloured, I'd hazard a guess she's entitled to hold that view. Maybe she is racist, but having married a pony white arsed husband, I'd hazard a guess she's not.
    There we go then, conclusive I actually work with a white bloke who is married to a black women, has kids and is a racist, straight up. Obviously, i can't prove that though

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There we go then, conclusive I actually work with a white bloke who is married to a black women, has kids and is a racist, straight up. Obviously, i can't prove that though
    Shes a nutty south African....and one or two posters on here have met her

Sorry to here about the lad you work with. Being married ain't easy. He has my sympathy.

You're defining (his) leadership by actions not deeds.
    I've heard the phrase "deeds not words" before but never a differentiation between actions and deeds. What are you talking about?

Feedback

I've heard the phrase "deeds not words" before but never a differentiation between actions and deeds. What are you talking about?
    Well I am the dullest.

I meant deeds not words.

I consider myself appropriately chastised