+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Re: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I am not defending him in any way but his comment regarding black players is due to the age and times he was brought up in, coloured was not meant in any disparaging way, it was used more respectfully than other terms

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I am not defending him in any way but his comment regarding black players is due to the age and times he was brought up in, coloured was not meant in any disparaging way, it was used more respectfully than other terms
    I may have said the same thing if it was an isolated incident, but the examples shown towards the end of the piece make it clear that this was not the case.

Genuine question, hope it doesn’t come across as ignorant, I’m just clueless, but why is coloured offensive, but Kamala Harris being referred to as woman of colour not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    Genuine question, hope it doesn’t come across as ignorant, I’m just clueless, but why is coloured offensive, but Kamala Harris being referred to as woman of colour not ?
    I find it rather curious too - and I have a problem calling people 'black'. When is someone's skin colour (which is never really black) considered to be black when there are complexions of of many hues between the two extremes of black and white (and not that so-called white people are actually white anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...qn4-story.html

I have many non white friends, who decended from a host of other countries, who I grew up with in the 60's 70's and 80's and you'd never call them "black" as it was deemed insulting.

Even though it is now politically correct to use the term "black" I still have a problem with it now.

I would imagine that if you've used the term "coloured" all your life, particularly if you are in your 60's and 70's, it is easy to have a slip of the tongue.

(note there are other rather large faux pas from Clarke mind you so I'm not defending him).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There you go. I'll refer to my post made in the thread about garry Monk's sacking. If people can't see that some people at the top of the footballing establishment- including club owners and chairmen-women-aren't racist then they're kidding themselves.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

"Person of Colour" is acceptable.

"Coloured Person" is unacceptable.

Will the term "Black" ever become unacceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I have many non white friends, who decended from a host of other countries, who I grew up with in the 60's 70's and 80's and you'd never call them "black" as it was deemed insulting.

Even though it is now politically correct to use the term "black" I still have a problem with it now.

I would imagine that if you've used the term "coloured" all your life, particularly if you are in your 60's and 70's, it is easy to have a slip of the tongue.

(note there are other rather large faux pas from Clarke mind you so I'm not defending him).
    Avoiding unnecessary offence is difficult I agree but Clarke:

Has presumably been a recipient of significant media training;
    Was appearing before a Parliamentary Committee;
    Made a bit of a pig's ear of a previous appearance in front of that committee;
    Made dubious remarks about various groups which were at odds with the agenda of inclusivity.

I was left with the feeling that if this was him on his best behaviour knowing the kind of audience he faced what are his real views and how are they articulated away from public gaze?

Being gay a “life choice”. Dear God he belongs in another age. The Stone Age.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Avoiding unnecessary offence is difficult I agree but Clarke:

Has presumably been a recipient of significant media training;
    Was appearing before a Parliamentary Committee;
    Made a bit of a pig's ear of a previous appearance in front of that committee;
    Made dubious remarks about various groups which were at odds with the agenda of inclusivity.

I was left with the feeling that if this was him on his best behaviour knowing the kind of audience he faced what are his real views and how are they articulated away from public gaze?
    Well put, he has on a few occasions said things that does show his true feelings.Not a nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

Maybe more pertinent, are there many black people who feel uncomfortable about being referred to as black ? If the answer is yes, then expect there to be a campaign to change to a different term such as 'person of colour' in the not too distant future.

There needs to be an algorithm of what is appropriate terms these days, so not to offend

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Maybe more pertinent, are there many black people who feel uncomfortable about being referred to as black ? If the answer is yes, then expect there to be a campaign to change to a different term such as 'person of colour' in the not too distant future.
    If Black isn't an acceptable term how come there is a Black Lives Matter movement?

I thought white was a colour 🤔
    So I am coloured but more importantly I have no hidden agenda and just wish all this bullshite about being offended for self gain all around the world will end one day.
    But it always has gone on and I might be wrong but I will not see it in my life time always will.

Honestly, it's only white people who tie themselves in knots to be offended on behalf of minorities, while minorities huddle in groups pointing and laughing at them.

Nobody 'BAME' (which in itself is a shit show considering it's just grouping everybody that isn't white under a big ol' inclusive umbrella) is offended by these minor indiscressions, innocently made.

Does that make it acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    If Black isn't an acceptable term how come there is a Black Lives Matter movement?
    What, you actually think they carried out a referendum, asking all black people whether BLM was an acceptable name for the movement before adopting it ?

Without wishing to get too involved in terminology issues it would however be interesting to get the views from non-white people on this topic.

Using the term 'black' was considered offensive not too long ago, 'coloured' being an acceptable term at the time. People nowadays are far more likely to welcome a discussion on this subject to avoid causing offence in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

Confusing for a lot of folk and can be used innocently by some , Clarke though in his role should know better and be aware of the sensitivity of using the correct terms .

Anyways he's gone now .

Perhaps appointment someone like Paul Elliott to the role maybe a positive move .

There are plenty of people I know who still use the term "coloured", it's a word they've used all of their lives. None of them do so to cause offence, it's just that they have never given a second thought to its use. However, we're talking about two separate worlds here and someone in the sort of position that Clarke occupied where he is representing a game which has become far more multi ethnic since the days of my youth where it was considered acceptable to use the word coloured really should have known better and as Tuerto implies, the fact that he has a history of making such errors rather tells a story as to the attitudes of others at the top of the game in this country who, seemingly, did not see a problem with such talk.

Racism will always exist whilst we describe and refer to people by colours.

I remember as a kid in the 70's my dad telling me that using the word black generically was wrong, as not all non-white people were black.
    He said the right word to use was coloured.
    Times have changed and I can see why, some of the older generation dont always keep up with what is acceptable now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I remember as a kid in the 70's my dad telling me that using the word black generically was wrong, as not all non-white people were black.
    He said the right word to use was coloured.
    Times have changed and I can see why, some of the older generation dont always keep up with what is acceptable now.
    Yeah I know Stevie Wonder sang a lot about coloured people and my parents used that term...personally I see no offence, there's other words like the N or P word which causes great offence and I get that, but I don't think its a good idea to have folk walking on eggshells about whats words are in vogue today. if you come across humbly and sincere then folk should pick up on that and not hold people to ransom. I think this guy was a fool and im not defending him.

Sorry but this is no excuse. If he was 83 maybe, but he's 63 and really should know better.