+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Re: Thick people in positions of power, number 547 (football post)

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Sorry but this is no excuse. If he was 83 maybe, but he's 63 and really should know better.
    Absolutely this!

I suppose the time in which he was brought up, where he has worked is irrelevant, it doesn't mean he is a racist but to be in that position and use that language, particularly in the commons is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Yeah I know Stevie Wonder sang a lot about coloured people and my parents used that term...personally I see no offence, there's other words like the N or P word which causes great offence and I get that, but I don't think its a good idea to have folk walking on eggshells about whats words are in vogue today. if you come across humbly and sincere then folk should pick up on that and not hold people to ransom. I think this guy was a fool and im not defending him.
    Absolutely, spot on .

Feedback

I think suggesting that being gay is a lifestyle choice is more of an issue than using what is an anachronistic term for those with darker skin tones. Black and BAME is favoured today, tomorrow it will be something else.

Cool, another thread of white people discussing what is acceptable in the racism debate

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Sorry but this is no excuse. If he was 83 maybe, but he's 63 and really should know better.
    It’s not an excuse, it’s as it was over 20 years ago, the term Black in use now is a relatively recent term. As I said I’m not defending him but I can understand his use of the term Coloured, as for the rest of his testimony that’s another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Cool, another thread of white people discussing what is acceptable in the racism debate
    A very daft assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Avoiding unnecessary offence is difficult I agree but Clarke:

Has presumably been a recipient of significant media training;
    Was appearing before a Parliamentary Committee;
    Made a bit of a pig's ear of a previous appearance in front of that committee;
    Made dubious remarks about various groups which were at odds with the agenda of inclusivity.

I was left with the feeling that if this was him on his best behaviour knowing the kind of audience he faced what are his real views and how are they articulated away from public gaze?
    My view entirely.

This isn't an "he's from a different time" issue. He will be one of those types of people who think it is "hard to say anything without causing offence". It wasn't just his outdated terminology (possibly borne from the perspired desire to "not offend") but his pigeon-holing of entire races of people as seeking specific careers and so on. This guy isn't a victim of progress, and his downfall is entirely self-inflicted.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    There's plenty of non white people in this thread. And racism will carry on as long as we give people stupid labels like black, white or mixed race.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I am not defending him in any way but his comment regarding black players is due to the age and times he was brought up in, coloured was not meant in any disparaging way, it was used more respectfully than other terms
    The thing is if a man on the street said it fine we can't all be up to date on what's offensive all the time. But if you are the head of a huge corporation speaking to parliament on diversity while being filmed I would suggest being this out of touch makes you unfit for the role.

Yeah I know Stevie Wonder sang a lot about coloured people and my parents used that term...personally I see no offence, there's other words like the N or P word which causes great offence and I get that, but I don't think its a good idea to have folk walking on eggshells about whats words are in vogue today. if you come across humbly and sincere then folk should pick up on that and not hold people to ransom. I think this guy was a fool and im not defending him.
    I don't think people are walking around on eggshells though.

Most people including most people in this thread know what is and isn't offensive and if they slip up while trying to be respectful there isn't an issue.

If you are the head of a huge corporation talking to parliament you are held at a much higher standard, which seems right to me.

I honestly don't believe that he knew that "coloured" isn't an acceptable term any more.

However, I have grown up and lived in an extremely un-diverse part of the country for most of my life, and even I have been aware that it isn't an acceptable term, probbaly for at least the last 30 years.

For this guy to have reached the age of 63, and be leading an organisation that represents huge numbers of Black footballers without making himself aware of this really does speak volumes about how out of touch he must be.

It seems he has made literally no effort to connect with what is a big part of his organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Racism will always exist whilst we describe and refer to people by colours.

Totally agree.

The media are the biggest culprits IMHO. It’s almost as if they WANT to cause friction between peoples based on their allocated colour.

Or their political views.

Or their religion.

Or their gender.

Or their age.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't think people are walking around on eggshells though.

Most people including most people in this thread know what is and isn't offensive and if they slip up while trying to be respectful there isn't an issue.

If you are the head of a huge corporation talking to parliament you are held at a much higher standard, which seems right to me.
    I hear you, an example is that the term BAME is not liked by certain sections of the black community and is already outdated and will be frowned upon in the next few years, so that makes people unsure (eggshells) That can and will creep into the workplace no matter how many diversity courses you go on.

I hear you, an example is that the term BAME is not liked by certain sections of the black community and is already outdated and will be frowned upon in the next few years, so that makes people unsure (eggshells) That can and will creep into the workplace no matter how many diversity courses you go on.
    How often is anyone saying BAME really though? How often are people seriously saying anything related to race at work?

As long as people are respectful of one another is any of this really an issue? I work with a lot of non white and non british people and we talk about loads of diverse topics and I have never found myself walking on eggshells.

Are other people's experiences very different to mine?

How often is anyone saying BAME really though? How often are people seriously saying anything related to race at work?

As long as people are respectful of one another is any of this really an issue? I work with a lot of non white and non british people and we talk about loads of diverse topics and I have never found myself walking on eggshells.

Well obviously yes....There are lots of grievances taken out in the workplace with race right in the middle of the grievance and i hear BAME being mentioned everytime i tune into sky sports news.

My old dear is 86 and uses the word coloured

Shes not racist

And I know people in their twenties who use the term coloured but would never use the term nggr and are definitely not racist

The term is of course out dated and if this was a one off then fair enough but he seems a bit of an idiot

Well obviously yes....There are lots of grievances taken out in the workplace with race right in the middle of the grievance and i hear BAME being mentioned everytime i tune into sky sports news.
    But have you experienced it? I have worked for two big companies and have never felt like I was walking on eggshells.

But have you experienced it? I have worked for two big companies and have never felt like I was walking on eggshells.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I may have said the same thing if it was an isolated incident, but the examples shown towards the end of the piece make it clear that this was not the case.
    Exactly. It's not just the terms. It's the assumptions based on race. I have no problem with someone confusing "person of color" with "colored person".

Yes.
    What have you experienced that made you feel uncomfortable at work?

What have you experienced that made you feel uncomfortable at work?
    LOL I said yes please just take my word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    There's plenty of non white people in this thread. And racism will carry on as long as we give people stupid labels like black, white or mixed race.
    As the majority are white in the UK , I guess they do need to discuss and fix it .

Football is an annomly, a lot of black players are involved and add great value , the authorities running football push forward the narrative of BLM and 'no to racism ' messages ,sadly they are reluctant to fix the disparity in its higher ranks and decision making roles.

Wait a second: I happen to work for a very large tech firm that you will all know, and people talk about race related issues ALL THE TIME. We have meetings about it ALL THE TIME! There is even a KPI for DEI now, which I had never seen until a few months back.

It is easy enough to avoid being drawn on anything if are a lowly foot soldier like me, but I consciously shy away from interaction on this subject in work, for fear of not using today's fashionable term.

It can be a corp nightmare, but one that someone as senior as Clarke will have be trained to navigate sensitively.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond View Post
    Totally agree.

The media are the biggest culprits IMHO. It’s almost as if they WANT to cause friction between peoples based on their allocated colour.

Or their political views.

Or their religion.

Or their gender.

Or their age.
    Mainly the BBC