+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Cream....

Ice Cream....

I'm a fan, a rum and raisin man. My question is this. Who produces the best ice cream in Wales or the UK for those who have travelled or live away We've got Joe's, which is a solid 7/10 for me, not that keen on sidolis, Mario's (made in Wales) stocked in Aldi, consistent, although my favourite was Thayers in Wellfield rd, before it closed, although i do believe that there's still a thayers shop in Bath. What's your ice cream tipple?

Re: Ice Cream....

Thayers was my fantastic and generally rum and raisin is my favourite. Barry Island has a fantastic ice cream parlour called Zio’s, where they actually make the ice cream on site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm a fan, a rum and raisin man. My question is this. Who produces the best ice cream in Wales or the UK for those who have travelled or live away We've got Joe's, which is a solid 7/10 for me, not that keen on sidolis, Mario's (made in Wales) stocked in Aldi, consistent, although my favourite was Thayers in Wellfield rd, before it closed, although i do believe that there's still a thayers shop in Bath. What's your ice cream tipple?
    Yep Thayer's for me. Having said that, Sidoli's ice lollies with an ice cream filling used to be fantastic. Mind you that was back in the 1960's so not sure if they still do them

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Yep Thayer's for me. Having said that, Sidoli's ice lollies with an ice cream filling used to be fantastic. Mind you that was back in the 1960's so not sure if they still do them
    Strawberry Mivvi

We always used to have Penycraig’s finest - Mr Creemy (or “Mike The Ice Cream”, as my Dad called them).
    They always used to finish in The Ice Cream Alliance Top 3 and allegedly had the most flavours in the UK.
    I remember having Christmas Pudding flavour, which we gave to my grandfather, having told him it was just Christmas Pudding. The old git just ate it without saying a word and didn’t even notice that it was ice cream!
    Sadly, someone trademarked the name Mr Creemy in recent years and despite it having been used by the company since the 1970s, they were forced to change their name, so they became Sub-Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    We always used to have Penycraig’s finest - Mr Creemy (or “Mike The Ice Cream”, as my Dad called them).
    They always used to finish in The Ice Cream Alliance Top 3 and allegedly had the most flavours in the UK.
    I remember having Christmas Pudding flavour, which we gave to my grandfather, having told him it was just Christmas Pudding. The old git just ate it without saying a word and didn’t even notice that it was ice cream!
    Sadly, someone trademarked the name Mr Creemy in recent years and despite it having been used by the company since the 1970s, they were forced to change their name, so they became Sub-Zero.
    Definitely a vote for Mr Creemy, or Sub Zero. They opened an ice cream parlour in an industrial estate in Williamstown. It's quite a bizarre experience. There's a gym and a car repair place opposite, so lots of roids going back and for, screaming cars, muscles, tattoos. The view from the parlour is, erm, one of an industrial estate, and not a pretty one. It still does very well and regularly has long queues of people waiting to be served.

Thayer’s Vanilla. Never thought I’d taste anything like it again but Kawartha Lakes Vanilla here in Ontario actually runs it pretty close.

Kelly's Ice Cream is a joy

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Strawberry Mivvi
    Pineapple Mivvi for me. But as much as I enjoy ice cream, It's something I rarely think or partake of. Same with crisps. I drink like a ****ing fish, or used to anyway. Small mercies I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Thayer’s Vanilla. Never thought I’d taste anything like it again but Kawartha Lakes Vanilla here in Ontario actually runs it pretty close.
    Not had ice cream for ages and ages, maybe it's because I knew I would never taste anything better than the Thayers Vanilla I used to love when I was a kid.

Thayers strawberry. I had no idea their shop in Wellfield Road had closed.

I have never met anyone that disliked Thayers, in fact people seemed to rave over it. Thayers must have really paid so much attention to their flavours/ingredients to have perfected their product to such a degree. Makes you wonder why on earth they no longer exsist. What a crying shame. Their Vanilla always did it for me.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    I have never met anyone that disliked Thayers, in fact people seemed to rave over it. Thayers must have really paid so much attention to their flavours/ingredients to have perfected their product to such a degree. Makes you wonder why on earth they no longer exsist. What a crying shame. Their Vanilla always did it for me.

I’m the only one who didn’t think much of Thayers then in the whole of South Glamorgan .

I loved the one they served at Porthcawl fair though which I think was Sidolis but cannot remember clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    I think it was because their vanilla flavor tasted real and the ice cream wasn't too sweet. It just didn't taste like other ice creams. It was even unusual back then for scooped vanilla ice-cream to be white

Cadwalladers

Lovely North Walian firm

Since I've started making my own gelato I've become a bit of an ice cream snob.
    If there's none of mine in the freezer I'll settle for Asda's own brand Cornish Ice Cream or Mario's Strawberries and Cream if I'm flush.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

What flavour ice-cream is it impossible to make?

My parents went a bit exotic every now and then buying us kids a block of neapolitan, but we always preferred Thayers Vanilla or Raspberry Ripple.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    What flavour ice-cream is it impossible to make?
    I don't know, which flavour ice cream is impossible to make?

Frank's of Ammanford is a nice ice cream.

Is the Mr Creemy mentioned on here the same as the van that serves/served the Whitchurch/Coryton area

Mr Nippy looked ok....

Cresci's Skewen

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

I don't know, which flavour ice cream is impossible to make?
    Cola

One of the first food festivals at the Oval Basin. Was having a pint in The Packet (the only half decent pub left down The Docks) and John (might've been David) Thayer walked, ordered a pint and dished out ice creams from this mini freezer he had to the clientele.

Load of old heads with little wooden spoons making out like bandits. Was superb! Top man.