Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books that stay with you

Re: Books that stay with you

The Dice Man

Bloke decides on roll of a dice wether he's going to rape a woman or not

Didn't read the full book , not pleasant

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Of Mice and Men. Great book, read it in year 10/11.

Shame someone wrote 'George shoots Lennie' on the inside of the front cover.

That was written on the inside of the cover of every copy in my old school

We
    Brave New World
    Crash
    A Scanner Darkly
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Million Little Pieces & My Friend Leonard by James Frey

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A Modest Proposal - Jonathan Swift

A very short but bitterly powerful satire written in 1729 that proposes different ways of eating babies to solve the 'overpopulation' (aka poverty) problem in Ireland. Told with dry, economic reasoning from beginning to end. Devastating.
    Wow, thats dark

There are some excellent books listed here but some of them quite grim so I will choose a cheerful and uplifting book.....

The Card by Arnold Bennett. Made into a light hearted film starring Alec Guinness

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown.

A history of the American west - from the Native American point of view.

Non-fiction.
    Harrowing at times.
    Recently purchased The Earth is Weeping, it's in my book queue at the moment, but supposed to be excellent, probably more of the same.

Stupid White Men by Micheal Moore is a good read

He's no fan of Bush, if you will pardon the expression

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous - absolutely life changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Of Mice and Men. Great book, read it in year 10/11.

Shame someone wrote 'George shoots Lennie' on the inside of the front cover.
    Someone's stealing ccmb content

From recent years:

Austerlitz by WG Sebald.

The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek.

The Skin by Curzio Malaparte.

This is Memorial Device by David Keenan. His newest one For the Good Times is tidy too.

Chernobyl Prayer and Second Hand Time, both by Svetlana Alexievich.

Border by Kapka Kassabova.

One from the past that really affected me as a teenager that had a moment in the literary sun again recently due to the pandemic was The Plague by Albert Camus. Saw an interesting dramatised version of it at the Arcola theatre in London a couple years ago.

The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer

About life on the Eastern Front during WWII for an Alsace Frenchman, in the German army.

The memory I have, is of listening to Joy Division's 'Closer' album, whilst reading that book for the first time, back in 1980.

A haunting but brilliant combination.

Quote Originally Posted by 61adb View Post
    The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer

About life on the Eastern Front during WWII for an Alsace Frenchman, in the German army.

The memory I have, is of listening to Joy Division's 'Closer' album, whilst reading that book for the first time, back in 1980.

A haunting but brilliant combination.
    Did you men you were listening to the album around the same time as reading the book, or literally at the same time?

At the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Million Little Pieces by James Frey
    That bloke got all sorts of hate mail and death threats over that book....

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Malai View Post
    That bloke got all sorts of hate mail and death threats over that book....
    Whats it about ?

Its about a drug addict who goes through some stuff and eventually rehabilitates himself. It was written as non-fiction but eventually turned out to be pretty much all made up.

People bought into his plight and felt betrayed when it turned out to be a book of fiction.

Its about a drug addict who goes through some stuff and eventually rehabilitates himself. It was written as non-fiction but eventually turned out to be pretty much all made up.

People bought into his plight and felt betrayed when it turned out to be a book of fiction.
    Cheers

Sounds a bit grim , fiction or not

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Cheers

Sounds a bit grim , fiction or not

Its a great book, every page keeps you gripped, but it is a bit of a let down when you find out hardly any of it actually happened...

I lent it to my girlfriend at the time.....she loved it, but she was fuming when I told her it was 95% fiction...

Cardiff-based..."The Hiding Place". Trezza Azzapardi uses real Cardiff locations (including where my mum lived as a young child) to create as bleak a story as you will ever read. No wonder my mum always said "you can play with who you like but not the Maltese". A truly stomach churning ending.
    Turns out one branch of the family is of Maltese extraction, something I found out only last year (thought they were Italian).

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Devils Guard by George Robert Elford

Quite a controversial book in which it is claimed by the author that the story was told to him first hand by former Waffen SS Partizan Jaeger Kommando Captain Hans Wagemuller. The story goes that Wagemuller led his men out of the Eastern front fighting partisans back to Germany/Switzerland where he and eventually around 900 former SS soldiers were enlisted into a Nazi Battalion as part of the French Foreign Legion and sent to Vietnam to fight against the Vietnam Minh.
    They are alleged to have ferocious and brutal tactics which made the French and the locals afraid of them.
    The story is full of neo-Nazi propaganda and appears a work of fiction.
    Wagemuller is reported to have been still alive in 1980 but disappeared off the radar subsequently.

It as in the top 10 book list of US servicemen in the First Gulf War and the only military book in that list.

It’s an interesting and thought provoking read

Its a great book, every page keeps you gripped, but it is a bit of a let down when you find out hardly any of it actually happened...

I lent it to my girlfriend at the time.....she loved it, but she was fuming when I told her it was 95% fiction...
    I found out subsequently it was embellished, think he still maintains it has more truth than is reported.

Did you read the second book in the story, My Friend Leonard - brilliant, I can't not think of Leonard as Robert De Niro though.

I thought a million little pieces was the biggest crock of shit I ever read and put it down half way through. If you want a great book on addiction I highly recommend:- a piece of cake by Cupcake Brown it blew my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I thought a million little pieces was the biggest crock of shit I ever read and put it down half way through.
    With all respect your terminology is inadequate for someone who sacked the book off without finishing it . . . What is a 'crock' anyway?

QBVII (or QB7) by Leon Uris. The trial of a UK doctor accused of Nazi war crimes. A book I recommend to everyone.
    Happy like Murderers by Gordon Burn. The best book about Fred and Rose West.
    Unreliable Memoirs; and Falling towards England by Clive James. Very, very funny.
    Anything by Daniel Woodrell. Country Noir.