+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 63

Thread: Books that stay with you

  1. #1

    Books that stay with you

    American Psycho , I worry about the bloke who wrote that

  2. #2

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    American Psycho , I worry about the bloke who wrote that
    Most of your magazines stay with you. Stuck with you, in fact.

  3. #3

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Perfume - Patrick Suskind

  4. #4

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Adrian mole

  5. #5

    Re: Books that stay with you

    One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest

  6. #6

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Most of your magazines stay with you. Stuck with you, in fact.
    This is a serious thread for serious people

  7. #7

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Jaws is quite a dark novel

  8. #8

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Tom Browns Schooldays,

  9. #9

    Re: Books that stay with you

    1984
    Black Swans (non-fiction, about life and indoctrination China)
    Nothing to Envy (non-fiction, about life and indoctrination in N Korea)
    Sapiens
    A Clockwork Orange
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    Im Westen Nichts Neues (English title: "All Quiet On The Western Front")
    Zonenkinder (English title: "After the Wall: Confessions from an East German Childhood and the Life That Came Next", non-fiction)

  10. #10

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown.

    A history of the American west - from the Native American point of view.

    Non-fiction.
    Harrowing at times.

  11. #11

    Re: Books that stay with you

    2 that spring to mind:

    All Hell Let Loose - Max Hastings (because of its refreshingly different angle on WW2)
    A Life Too Short - Ronald Reng (About Robert Enke's suicide. A desperately hard but worthwhile read)

  12. #12
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,761

    Re: Books that stay with you

    A Modest Proposal - Jonathan Swift

    A very short but bitterly powerful satire written in 1729 that proposes different ways of eating babies to solve the 'overpopulation' (aka poverty) problem in Ireland. Told with dry, economic reasoning from beginning to end. Devastating.

  13. #13

    Re: Books that stay with you

    David Copperfield
    Grapes of Wrath
    1984
    We (Yevgeny Zamyatin)
    Fahrenheit 451
    East of Eden - in fact anything by Steinbeck (To a God Unknown, The Red Pony)
    Keep the Aspidistra Flying
    Coming Up for Air
    100 Years of Solitude

  14. #14

    Re: Books that stay with you

    White Hotel by D. M. Thomas
    Way of the Peaceful Warrior and Return of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman, both books labelled as the book that changes lives; they did.

  15. #15

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Chimp Paradox is a good read and stays with you in the sense that it explains we are made up of very different parts, some of which being the human side and the more primitive ape or chimp that basically just wanted to eat, survive and have sex. We've all got this chimp aspect and having read the book you recognise the chimp aspect at work.

    Recommend the book a lot.

    Ronnie O'Sullivan recommends the book and anybody that has seen Ronnie play barefoot or his latest argument around the table will understand that Ronnie's chimp side bares all quite a bit.

  16. #16

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Enemy At The Gates

    Horrific account of the battle of stalingrad

    Quite a few books on the subject , several of which are distressing to read

    Accounts of young soldiers on both sides literally freezing to death , cannibalism , torture , really graphic

    What those young men went through was unbelievable, all because of mad ideology

    There are some books out there on the horrors inflicted on people of German descent living in the formerly nazi occupied Eastern lands by partisans as the war ended . Nasty stuff.

    And of course the rape and massacre of Eastern Europe by the advancing red army isn't pleasant bedtime reading either

  17. #17

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown.

    A history of the American west - from the Native American point of view.

    Non-fiction.
    Harrowing at times.
    That's one I should have included on my list.

  18. #18

    Re: Books that stay with you

    The Wasp Factory. Creepy as ****.

  19. #19

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Life and Fate by Vassilly Grossman followed by The Master and Margarita by Michael Bulgakov( if anyone can let me know what this book is about let me know).

  20. #20

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Of Mice and Men. Great book, read it in year 10/11.







    Shame someone wrote 'George shoots Lennie' on the inside of the front cover.

  21. #21

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Of Mice and Men. Great book, read it in year 10/11.







    Shame someone wrote 'George shoots Lennie' on the inside of the front cover.
    What a dick!

  22. #22

    Re: Books that stay with you

    My 10 year diary

  23. #23

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Of Mice and Men. Great book, read it in year 10/11.







    Shame someone wrote 'George shoots Lennie' on the inside of the front cover.
    That reminds me of a story I read when one of the Harry Potter books came out, hundreds of kids were queuing up outside a bookstore in London at midnight to get the first copies, and one of the first ones in told the others that Dumbledore dies in the book. I wonder how old that kid is now and what kind of person he is.

  24. #24

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That reminds me of a story I read when one of the Harry Potter books came out, hundreds of kids were queuing up outside a bookstore in London at midnight to get the first copies, and one of the first ones in told the others that Dumbledore dies in the book. I wonder how old that kid is now and what kind of person he is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwZRFA0cLaM

    Don't know how to embed youtube, but this is Homer doing the same thing

  25. #25

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwZRFA0cLaM

    Don't know how to embed youtube, but this is Homer doing the same thing

  26. #26

    Re: Books that stay with you

    The Dice Man

    Bloke decides on roll of a dice wether he's going to rape a woman or not

    Didn't read the full book , not pleasant

  27. #27
    International City123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    6,015

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Of Mice and Men. Great book, read it in year 10/11.







    Shame someone wrote 'George shoots Lennie' on the inside of the front cover.


    That was written on the inside of the cover of every copy in my old school

  28. #28
    International City123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    6,015

    Re: Books that stay with you

    We
    Brave New World
    Crash
    A Scanner Darkly
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

  29. #29

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Million Little Pieces & My Friend Leonard by James Frey

  30. #30
    First Team El Gwapo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Credibility Street
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Books that stay with you

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A Modest Proposal - Jonathan Swift

    A very short but bitterly powerful satire written in 1729 that proposes different ways of eating babies to solve the 'overpopulation' (aka poverty) problem in Ireland. Told with dry, economic reasoning from beginning to end. Devastating.
    Wow, thats dark

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •