+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50th anniversary of Toshack signing for Liverpool

Re: 50th anniversary of Toshack signing for Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    He was always going to be too good for us. So many supporters were lost after he was sold but many came back when his replacement -Alan Worboys - couldn't stop scoring. The Clark/Toshack partnership was however far and way the best pair of strikers seen at the City in the 62 years I have been supporting the club.
    Not forgetting Tony Evans , Earnshaw, Chopp's

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Cheers Bob, what a fantastic video, one that I'd not seen before. You can see from the clip that we were a half decent side. And what a goal it was ! That was 'my' team although by then I'd already been going down the City for 6 years.
    bloody good side

Quote Originally Posted by lennybluebird View Post
    I think there was also a five or six week gap before buying warboys
    Yes, there was, Toshack left on something like 10 November and Warboys did'nt make his debut until Boxing Day.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, there was, Toshack left on something like 10 November and Warboys did'nt make his debut until Boxing Day.
    Bizarrely, both Tosh and Warboys had an identical strike rate for us - 0.45 goals per game (actually Tosh edged it by 0.006 goals per game !)

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Lost interest after that I did.
    Where was it you said you were going Mate?
    Pontcanna right?
    If every football fan gave up after their team sold their best player to a bigger club the terraces around the country would have been empty way before Covid kicked in.

I have only been upset at player sales a few times at City. The first I think was the worst when Toshack went, absolutely gutted, and kept an eye on Liverpool for the next few years, not that I was a fan of course. I was at NP watching Warboys and Clark. Everyone like Warboys and we sold him for £25,000 and got Gil Reece and Dave Powell in part/ex. I was sad when both Clark and Warboys were sold, and Ian Gibson, but they were all good deals, its; just they were not adequately replaced.

I was upset when Tony Evans went and and even more so when he came back and scored two for Birmingham!

Nathan Blake leaving was a big disappointment. Ramsey not so as it was to be expected.

And last year I did like Manga and Zohore, even though we got good fees they were replaced with lesser players.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If every football fan gave up after their team sold their best player to a bigger club the terraces around the country would have been empty way before Covid kicked in.
    While that is true the circumstances of Toshack's sale was different. We were at the top of the League (or second) challenging for promotion to the old Division 1 and we sold our top goalscorer. The main complaint at the time was the complete lack of ambition shown by the Board and if they couldn't support the club why should we.

Quote Originally Posted by lennybluebird View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong was this just after we hammard hull city 5--2
    5 - 1

While that is true the circumstances of Toshack's sale was different. We were at the top of the League (or second) challenging for promotion to the old Division 1 and we sold our top goalscorer. The main complaint at the time was the complete lack of ambition shown by the Board and if they couldn't support the club why should we.
    I know. I remember it well. It still seems a very churlish reason to stop supporting one's football team.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm sure there was a story somewhere at the time that she was wearing red hot pants that day
    Didn’t Shankly tell her that she needed to bin the blue coat that she’d turned up in?

I know. I remember it well.
    I didn't have you down as an oldie.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Didn’t Shankly tell her that she needed to bin the blue coat that she’d turned up in?
    It was something like that wasn't it, I'm sure there was some comment about what she was wearing when she first arrived in Liverpool.

I didn't have you down as an oldie.
    Laughing here. Is it because I haven't yet started a thread about Sanatogen, aches and pains and Dubbin?

Laughing here. Is it because I haven't yet started a thread about Sanatogen, aches and pains and Dubbin?
    All of the above. I've some blood pressure tablets and statins if you need them.