+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50th anniversary of Toshack signing for Liverpool

50th anniversary of Toshack signing for Liverpool

Today.

Re: 50th anniversary of Toshack signing for Liverpool

Lost interest after that I did.
    Where was it you said you were going Mate?
    Pontcanna right?

Interesting that you are still corresponding about City 50 years after losing interest. 950 posts on this site alone!!��

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Lost interest after that I did.
    Where was it you said you were going Mate?
    Pontcanna right?
    City lost more support after his departure than they did when VT changed the shirt colour to red.

And a long, painful, decline in the fortune of Cardiff City FC for decades thereafter. I wonder how many fans changed their allegiance to Liverpool when he left? I was only 10 at the time but remember Toshack leaving and realising that the dream of Division 1 was gone.

He was always going to be too good for us. So many supporters were lost after he was sold but many came back when his replacement -Alan Worboys - couldn't stop scoring. The Clark/Toshack partnership was however far and way the best pair of strikers seen at the City in the 62 years I have been supporting the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    City lost more support after his departure than they did when VT changed the shirt colour to red.
    Probably around a thousand compared to 500.
    Actually City's results for the rest of that season were statistically better after Toshack's departure, and it was an end-of-season blip that cost us promotion. Also attendances were pretty much the same for the remaining home games, and again for the following season..

I've heard this book has the most detailed and complete account of the Toshack transfer anywhere

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Madrid.../dp/B08KGGTP1M

Correct me if I'm wrong was this just after we hammard hull city 5--2

Quote Originally Posted by lennybluebird View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong was this just after we hammard hull city 5--2
    And from memory Toshack scored a hat trick wearing the Number 8 shirt instead of his usual Number 10. I could be wrong; it was 50 years ago and my memory is not too good.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Probably around a thousand compared to 500.
    Actually City's results for the rest of that season were statistically better after Toshack's departure, and it was an end-of-season blip that cost us promotion. Also attendances were pretty much the same for the remaining home games, and again for the following season..
    City's league record when they sold Toshack was played 16, won eight, drawn six and lost 2 which gave them 22 points under the old . two points for a win system. Their record after Toshack left was played 26, won 12, drawn 7 and lost 7 which makes 31 points. There's not a huge amount of difference, but our record pre Toshack's sale is clearly superior.

As for attendances, City had gates of above twenty thousand for all but six of their twenty one home matches in 70/71 with five of those coming after Toshack's transfer. In 71/72, there were only two league crowds above twenty thousand and our average gate dropped from 21.522 in 70/71 to 15.510 in 71/72, but I'm not sure how much that drop could be put down to the Toshack sale because there were over 23,000 at Ninian Park for the opening game of that season against Burnley at Ninian Park where we let slip a 2-0 half time lead to draw 2-2. When that poor result was followed by two heavy away defeats, the gate for the next home match had dropped by six thousand and that became a good figure that year as the season developed into a relegation battle, so it's probably true to say poor results were more responsible for the drop in attendances although anger at the Toshack sale may have meant there was less patience from supporters when things started to go wrong on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    And from memory Toshack scored a hat trick wearing the Number 8 shirt instead of his usual Number 10. I could be wrong; it was 50 years ago and my memory is not too good.
    No, you're right, Toshack wore the number eight shirt for his final three matches for us (Hull, Nantes away and QPR). Brian Clark was dropped for those games and, for some reason, Toshack was given his number eight shirt and Bobby Woodruff wore number ten.

By the way, the Hull match ended 5-1 to us, not 5-2 as mentioned above.

First Team

Bizarrely that is the chapter I am up too. Quite like Mrs Toshack’s white boots.

I was gutted when Aaron ramsey and Nathan Blake were sold but still support cardiff . I genuinely did meet a bloke who whilst wearing a West ham shirt in the butchers Arms in canton told me he hadn't been down since we sold toshack so I told the silly old **** to shove his shirt up his arse

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Bizarrely that is the chapter I am up too. Quite like Mrs Toshack’s white boots.
    I'm sure there was a story somewhere at the time that she was wearing red hot pants that day

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, you're right, Toshack wore the number eight shirt for his final three matches for us (Hull, Nantes away and QPR). Brian Clark was dropped for those games and, for some reason, Toshack was given his number eight shirt and Bobby Woodruff wore number ten.

By the way, the Hull match ended 5-1 to us, not 5-2 as mentioned above.
    Bob, I was convinced that when we beat QPR away 0-1, it was the first game we played after the sale of Tosh but it looks like I got that wrong and he was still with us at the time. Didn't Leighton Phillips score the winner at QPR ?

City's league record when they sold Toshack was played 16, won eight, drawn six and lost 2 which gave them 22 points under the old . two points for a win system. Their record after Toshack left was played 26, won 12, drawn 7 and lost 7 which makes 31 points. There's not a huge amount of difference, but our record pre Toshack's sale is clearly superior.

As for attendances, City had gates of above twenty thousand for all but six of their twenty one home matches in 70/71 with five of those coming after Toshack's transfer. In 71/72, there were only two league crowds above twenty thousand and our average gate dropped from 21.522 in 70/71 to 15.510 in 71/72, but I'm not sure how much that drop could be put down to the Toshack sale because there were over 23,000 at Ninian Park for the opening game of that season against Burnley at Ninian Park where we let slip a 2-0 half time lead to draw 2-2. When that poor result was followed by two heavy away defeats, the gate for the next home match had dropped by six thousand and that became a good figure that year as the season developed into a relegation battle, so it's probably true to say poor results were more responsible for the drop in attendances although anger at the Toshack sale may have meant there was less patience from supporters when things started to go wrong on the pitch.
    memory slip - thought the following yr was 70/71.
    I think we sold Toshack for £110,0000. We bought Warboys for £42,000. That's a net profit of £68,000. In 1970 in footballing terms, a significant amount, but surely not worth jeopardizing potential promotion..

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Bob, I was convinced that when we beat QPR away 0-1, it was the first game we played after the sale of Tosh but it looks like I got that wrong and he was still with us at the time. Didn't Leighton Phillips score the winner at QPR ?
    Yes, Leighton Phillips scored, it was Toshack's last game;-

it's probably true to say poor results were more responsible for the drop in attendances although anger at the Toshack sale may have meant there was less patience from supporters when things started to go wrong on the pitch.
    Same with the red shirt fiasco. There was no drop in crowds after we went red. Crowds increased in the PL, then dropped back a little to our Championship winning season following relegation. Our worst average attendance at Championship level since the cup final season (when we were at Ninian Park) was the full season under Russell Slade. Our attendance was better in the Championship following relegation, when we wore red for part of it, than it was when we finished 2nd under Warnock.

Yes, Leighton Phillips scored, it was Toshack's last game;-

Cheers Bob, what a fantastic video, one that I'd not seen before. You can see from the clip that we were a half decent side. And what a goal it was ! That was 'my' team although by then I'd already been going down the City for 6 years.

I think there was also a five or six week gap before buying warboys

I see Rodney Marsh was playing in that clip for QPR as was Phil Parkes in goal. Could that have been Terry Venables also on the field?

I see Rodney Marsh was playing in that clip for QPR as was Phil Parkes in goal. Could that have been Terry Venables also on the field?
    Yes, he missed a penalty in that game.

And Frank Saul, scorer of a cup final goal. And Gerry Francis too. Quite a collection of players in that QPR team.