+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FT: WALES 0 - 0 USA. Match thread (and other Euro games)

Re: FT: WALES 0 - 0 USA. Match thread (and other Euro games)

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    There's a thread started tonight posing the question of whether there's ever been a Wales game that has generated so little interest.
    I think the contents of this, the match thread, has the answer
    ...... or should it be
    To be fair, Scotland and NI were playing "final ties" to qualify for a major tournament. We were playing a friendly against a team of relative unknowns. Scotland would have taken thousands to Belgrade and Windsor Park would have been sold out. How many would we have had down the Liberty?

Re: Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    Is the correct answer.

Never forget.
    I was thinking the same as I was watching the shoot out, but, in the end, I came down on the side of Marshall and was pleased for them - Marshall is probably the only member of their squad who was alive when the game in 85 took place.

I'm a bit pissed off by the fact that they get to play two of their games at Hampden Park though, the way the venues were allocated for the tournament was a right carve up.

Re: Wales

The real story of the night was North Macedonia qualifying for their first tournament. Goran Pandev came out of international retirement in 2016 after 3 years away, scored the winner to send them to their first tournament and retires after the Euros aged 37/38.

Wales not knowing where their games will be played yet and Scotland getting two games at home (England getting potentially six of seven games at home) does feel a bit rubbish. Spreading out the tournament was a nice idea but it really hasn't worked practically.

Not been mentioned here, but my big concern that both Moore and Wilson start. Moore in particular must be knackered with all the games he's played. Will be useless for us when he comes back. Wilson was injured recently too. Not good

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Not been mentioned here, but my big concern that both Moore and Wilson start. Moore in particular must be knackered with all the games he's played. Will be useless for us when he comes back. Wilson was injured recently too. Not good
    Wilson guaranteed a rest against Ireland. Not sure why Moore started, maybe he's not going to start next game for Wales? There are so many games until 2022 that manager's need to work together: Jurgen Klopp and Gareth Southgate both want Gomez and Alexander Arnold to play the majority of games a high level but if they play them at every chance they're more likely to get injured and miss out on key parts of the calendar. For us, Wales should be willing to rest Moore for at least one of these games and Harris should be willing to rest him for at least the first game back to give him that well deserved break.

Ireland rugby played the best year of their careers in 2018 then played below average in 2019 and disappointed in the Japan World Cup. 2021 is the big year for club and country for football.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Wilson guaranteed a rest against Ireland. Not sure why Moore started, maybe he's not going to start next game for Wales? There are so many games until 2022 that manager's need to work together: Jurgen Klopp and Gareth Southgate both want Gomez and Alexander Arnold to play the majority of games a high level but if they play them at every chance they're more likely to get injured and miss out on key parts of the calendar. For us, Wales should be willing to rest Moore for at least one of these games and Harris should be willing to rest him for at least the first game back to give him that well deserved break.

Ireland rugby played the best year of their careers in 2018 then played below average in 2019 and disappointed in the Japan World Cup. 2021 is the big year for club and country for football.
    I don't think Moore will start against Ireland. Sheer lunacy if he does

They may go with a more mobile front line as the Irish defence are more suited to dealing with Moore, more likely to play against Finland as caused them all manner of problems

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Kieffer showed the other side to his game last night, drifting wide and picking the ball up to beat defenders. He had one run where he beat his man and played an excellent cross field ball to (I think) Tom Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Kieffer showed the other side to his game last night, drifting wide and picking the ball up to beat defenders. He had one run where he beat his man and played an excellent cross field ball to (I think) Tom Lawrence
    Yes, that was one of the best bits of quality football Wales came up with all night.

What did everyone think of Matondo? He'd be a nice replacement for Junior Hoilett.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What did everyone think of Matondo? He'd be a nice replacement for Junior Hoilett.
    I'd love to have him back at Cardiff, bit out of our reach at the moment, wasn't he linked with Atalanta?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'd love to have him back at Cardiff, bit out of our reach at the moment, wasn't he linked with Atalanta?
    I haven't seen him play that much, but of what I've seen he doesn't look like a starter at the top level. I don't know if he's been injured, but he hasn't played many games for Shalke and they're terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I haven't seen him play that much, but of what I've seen he doesn't look like a starter at the top level. I don't know if he's been injured, but he hasn't played many games for Shalke and they're terrible.
    He is 20. I know there are some exceptions like Sancho and Greenwood but most players aren't starters at top level or not at such a young age.

That being said, last night was, I thought, his best game at senior level because it was the first time he hadn't been bullied. He's scored a few nice goals for Schalke but think his end product needs a bit of development.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    He is 20. I know there are some exceptions like Sancho and Greenwood but most players aren't starters at top level or not at such a young age.

That being said, last night was, I thought, his best game at senior level because it was the first time he hadn't been bullied. He's scored a few nice goals for Schalke but think his end product needs a bit of development.
    So maybe a couple of years playing every week in the Championship?