+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wembley disappointments - which would you change?

Wembley disappointments - which would you change?

Treating myself this morning by thinking about the Wembley disappointments of 2008, 2010 and 2012.

Blackpool I’d say was the most disappointing.

But which result would you change if you could?

Winning the FA Cup would’ve been sensational.

But beating Liverpool in the League Cup would’ve carried extra gravitas.

But we had a good team in 2010 and would’ve maybe had a chance in the Prem. If we’d gone up who knows where we’d be now?

Re: Wembley disappointments - which would you change?

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Treating myself this morning by thinking about the Wembley disappointments of 2008, 2010 and 2012.

But we had a good team in 2010 and would’ve maybe had a chance in the Prem. If we’d gone up who knows where we’d be now?
    it's a tough call.

Prestige wise it would have to be the FA Cup, few people remember that you got promoted or won the league cup

Disappointment wise losing to Blackpool

Beating Liverpool would have given me the most satisfaction

I'll take the FA Cup as my choice

I'd happily forfeit not going to Wembley in 2010 and 2012 to have won the FA Cup in 2008.

1. FA Cup (2008)
    2. Blackpool play-off final
    3. League Cup final

From the ones listed. You could also add FA Cup final in 1925, Earnshaw's miss when Speed was in charge and a few more.

FA Cup has to be number one.

But I do think if we had got promoted in 2010 v Blackpool we may have actually stayed up at least a season or two, that team was brilliant, and I’m sure Dave Jones would have added some good players as well considering the players we managed to sign in the championship. We also played a style of football at the time more conducive to the prem than we’ve tried to play in our two seasons there. (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    it's a tough call.

Prestige wise it would have to be the FA Cup, few people remember that you got promoted or won the league cup

Disappointment wise losing to Blackpool

Beating Liverpool would have given me the most satisfaction

I'll take the FA Cup as my choice
    I agree. Winning the FA Cup would’ve lived forever, and the party the next day would’ve been massive

Blackpool was the one of those that, before the game, I thought we'd win, yet I think I was more gutted after losing to Portsmouth. I didn't feel any disappointment after losing to Liverpool on penalties, I was just proud of my team.

I'd change the FA cup first of all. Winning that would have been massive on a global scale.

There's always been a case of 'what if' about losing the FA cup and playoff finals. Should Ramsey have started? Should Bothroyd have started? Where was the plan B? Anyone can miss a penalty in a shootout. Anyone can make a mistake during a game - unfortunately for Enckelman, his was the decisive moment of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    FA Cup has to be number one.

But I do think if we had got promoted in 2010 v Blackpool we may have actually stayed up at least a season or two, that team was brilliant, and I’m sure Dave Jones would have added some good players as well considering the players we managed to sign in the championship. We also played a style of football at the time more conducive to the prem than we’ve tried to play in our two seasons there. (IMO)
    We could’ve done a couple of seasons in the Prem had we gone up. Blackpool nearly survived with attacking football. If you can survive 2 years, you never know

Blackpool such a build up better team than Pompey game

FA Cup final for me aswell. The lead up to the game all week was buzzing, flags on the cars, nostalgia pieces on tv and media, it was amazing. Then come the actual day I just had this feeling of dread and despair, like I knew we weren't going to win. Final whistle came i actually walked out and had a cry outside the ground on my own. So much emotion for me that day and a lot of us i'll bet, to actually come so close to winning the cup still gets me down.
    The blackpool final was shit but just had a sense of oh well, have another go next season. I think because promotion was seen as an achievable prospect. The liverpool final would have been great to win but i didn't lose any sleep over it.
    Will we ever come close to an FA cup final again? who knows but jeez it still turns my stomach now.

Most disappointing was Blackpool but definitely would change the fa Cup because seeing us lift the cup that day would have been a greater experience than the Premier league was eventually.

Definitely The FA Cup,nowadays just happy to see us put some effort in the 3rd round!

Yes the FA Cup for me too. At the final, I felt so privileged to be there, the result did not seem that important at the time. However, coming home from the Bay the following day (after the team's appearance) I watched Portsmouth's celebrations on the News while on my bus journey come and felt incredibly saddened and melancholy. It was definitely a 'if only' moment.

Without doubt the Blackpool defeat left me most gutted at the time. We played so well against Liverpool that I felt proud we took them to penalties. It could have gone either way so hey ho at least we got to another major cup final.

FA Cup just edges it in the "if only" category partly because my son went on to study in Portsmouth. At the parent/student meeting at the start of his course the guy running it bigged up Portsmouth as a great place to live and study and "we won the FA Cup". That hurt, but didn't go without a response. Having an excellent view of Portsmouth's goal didnt help at the time. Had we won, we'd still be celebrating.
    For the Blackpool match, I thought we'd lose without Bothroyd and wasn't surprised when we did. Glad to see Blackpool have struggled (and that Madine is with them).
    Liverpool...we had front row seats and there is no finer memory than the two goal celebrations with thousands of City fans behind us. Somewhere, there is a picture of me standing on the washing line barriers when Turner equalised. I knew it was all over when Gerrard stepped up for the penalty. We drew against a top side. If only Kenny's shot had dipped in.
    Spurs doesnt get a mention so far. I would have been rather happy if we'd won a league match at Wembley to partly make up for previous disappointing results.
    Maybe next year we will make the play offs.

They all sting for different reasons. Blackpool we really should have won, we had the quality and it was really gutting. Its also a shame that side never played in the Premier League

Liverpool stings because really its the closest we came to winning any of the 3 games, once Gerrard and Adam missed I felt we'd go on to win, I wonder how different the next few years would have been had we won that one. Mackay probably wouldn't have been forced to rush his "3 year plan" with the distraction of Europe and we may never have been rebranded

That’s a tough choice.....I’d probably take the FA cup again as as good as beating Liverpool would have been, the league cup doesn’t have the same prestige and no doubt beating Blackpool Would have been great, but we’d have come straight back down as usual and it would be fore-gotten like the recent ones....

The Liverpool game would have been one hell of a scalp but the league Cup, although silverware, has in recent years become a competition where top sides play their seconds and only really get serious at the QF stage.

Blackpool was tough to take as we were red hot favourites but, even though many have said what a great side we had at the time, I wonder whether we wouldn't have struggled to stay up anyway, it certainly was not a gimme that we would have.

Therefore, it has to be the FA Cup game for me. Such a huge competition draped in history and a trophy that cannot be taken away from you.

FA Cup winners, something Swansea can only dream about

Good question

I'd go with the playoff against Blackpool

I believe that team had the ability to go on and do well in the premier League. The football we played was far more attractive and suited to premier League football.... Unlike our subsequent promotion winning sides.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Good question

I'd go with the playoff against Blackpool

I believe that team had the ability to go on and do well in the premier League. The football we played was far more attractive and suited to premier League football.... Unlike our subsequent promotion winning sides.
    On its day it would have been the most entertaining but that side didn't have the foundation or mentality that our promotion sides did and I think would have taken its fair share of batterings.

You never know, who knows what players would have been brought in also but we continually failed to get there for a reason.

I look back at the league cup final with fond memories, great day out and we pushed a big boy to the brink. It was a proud day for the club. The other two its either bitterness of a missed opportunity (blackpool) or just being gutted on not taking what may be a once in a life time opportunity (portsmouth).

Ultimately it would have to be the FA Cup final, a jaunt into europe off the back of a win and a chance to take the cup back out of england. Too good to pass up. We'd have always gone up as we have twice anyway such was our trajectory, so the blackpool result seems less significant now, if we'd never gone up like Bristol and their missed play off final maybe I'd change that. However, to win the FA Cup though, would've been a once in a lifetime moment for nearly every single living city fan that day.

Not many have said Blackpool, but I think the fact we reached the PL twice since then, must have a bearing. If we hadn't, it would be Blackpool for me..

The league cup was the most satisfying out of the lot, would have been a great scalp had we won but I was at least happy and proud with city’s performance that day and still am. It was a great game in its own right and I’d be happy to watch it back again. I’d never thought of it as a “sliding doors” moment, as someone had mentioned above, but you could argue the case it was in the same way as the Blackpool game.

The Blackpool game feels like the biggest “what if” and it’s the one I find myself thinking about the most. It’s the one that still stings, I don’t think I’ve ever watched any footage from it since that day and you’d have to pay me a decent wedge to watch the whole 90 again.

The FA cup is a weird one for me looking back now, despite the run and how special it felt. It’s strangely lost it’s lustre for me and I can’t say I reminisce about it or day dream “what if” in the same way as the other two games. No interest in watching the game back as it was crap all round really. Prestige wise, it’s the one I’d like to change the most.

The squads we had I just wish we had a different manager. Though you have to give the manager we had credit for getting those squads together.

League Cup final for me I think beating a big team in the final is the achievement.

Fa cup is obviously better but it's the you only beat Portsmouth. I think the weight of beating a big team in a final is massive.

There are 20 teams in the Premier league every year but only 2 teams win a cup.

To think about it in more detail would have been nice to see Whitts Chopra and Bothroyd all playing together in the top league.

FA Cup would have had Ramsey winning fa Cup with his home club.

League Cup was a proud moment but those penalty misses are such a waste. To miss the target 3 times, especially twice when there was little pressure on the kickers

Beating Liverpool.

Years and years from now, new generations of plastic scousers would find out "their" team got beat at Wembley by Cardiff City.