+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pulis appointed manager of Sheffield Wednesday

Re: Pulis appointed manager of Sheffield Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    What's that got to do with "he's never had a chance"?
    Nothing, but that doesn't matter to Sludge when he's got an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Warnock has had plenty of failures in the Championship as well. Warnock has had the longer career, but Pulis is unlikely to trouble Warnock's Championship stats as he has had far less time managing in the Championship as he was keeping a Premier League team going for many seasons.
    If I was Wednesday, I'd rather Warnock in the Champ and Pulis in the Prem. Well, Wednesday wouldn't . Warnock has transformed Boro overnight, let's see if Pulis can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If I was Wednesday, I'd rather Warnock in the Champ and Pulis in the Prem. Well, Wednesday wouldn't . Warnock has transformed Boro overnight, let's see if Pulis can do the same.
    Contenders ready? Gladiators ready?

Contenders ready? Gladiators ready?
    You could class 7 of his 8 jobs in the Champ as successes, the one being Leeds and Warnock might consider that a success . Neither are going to build a team for the future, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You could class 7 of his 8 jobs in the Champ as successes, the one being Leeds and Warnock might consider that a success . Neither are going to build a team for the future, either.
    Warnock's teams are 'for the moment', not much doubt about that!

If Pulis is as good as Colin then his first signings will be the McKay twins.

I don't buy the argument that we could easily have gone down after 11 games, I even think Trollope would have got us out of the mess, but it was clear he was going nowhere.

I don't disagree with you otherwise. I think he did a very good job for us, certainly in getting promotion. I don't agree with your assessment of a few dodgy decisions costing us a place in the top division.

As for nearly stayed up, let's look at it. Feb 2019, won back to back games for the first time that season when Zohore scuffed one in at Southampton. We were a point above 18th. We won 3 of the last 12 games, losing 9 and spent the last 3 months in the bottom 3. We were 5 points adrift when we had to win at Brighton, which we did. We followed that up by losing at Fulham and at home to a good away side, Palace. When Palace beat us, we were 5 points adrift. Being relegated 5 points behind 17th with a game to go isn't nearly stayed up. We weren't unlucky on the last day of the season. We were well gone with a game left to play. The win at Old Trafford was the cherry on the dog turd. As I've said, there were lots of things at fault that season, including Warnock, proving he isn't a PL manager.
    Your first and third paragraphs are just rubbish. Rewriting the facts to suit your own agenda. Trollope couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. Since when has it mattered how a goal goes in - a goal is a goal whether it is scored from 30 yards or from one yard off the strikers backside. You diss Zohores goal at Southampton just because you think it makes your argument look better - it doesn't, it just makes it look even more petty. We deserved and should have had three points against Chelsea at home, apart from the incompetence of a linesman and a referee, who both admitted that they got it wrong. Losing that game in the way we did knocked the stuffing out of the players, leading to the results against Burnley, Fulham and Palace. Two points from safety with a game to go is a totally different ball game. Who knows what would have happened there then but what I do know is that Man Utd’s confidence was shot, OGS was out of his depth and their players weren't interested in playing for him. If we had still won we would have stayed up. You need a slice of luck to stay up in a first season in the Premier League - ours was taken away by two officials who didn't do their jobs properly.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Your first and third paragraphs are just rubbish. Rewriting the facts to suit your own agenda. Trollope couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag. Since when has it mattered how a goal goes in - a goal is a goal whether it is scored from 30 yards or from one yard off the strikers backside. You diss Zohores goal at Southampton just because you think it makes your argument look better - it doesn't, it just makes it look even more petty. We deserved and should have had three points against Chelsea at home, apart from the incompetence of a linesman and a referee, who both admitted that they got it wrong. Losing that game in the way we did knocked the stuffing out of the players, leading to the results against Burnley, Fulham and Palace. Two points from safety with a game to go is a totally different ball game. Who knows what would have happened there then but what I do know is that Man Utd’s confidence was shot, OGS was out of his depth and their players weren't interested in playing for him. If we had still won we would have stayed up. You need a slice of luck to stay up in a first season in the Premier League - ours was taken away by two officials who didn't do their jobs properly.
    The Chelsea result was heartbreaking, but to say we deserved and should have had 3 points is seriously over stating it.
    We could have come way with a win, but Chelsea were massively on top for basically the whole game.they had 23 shots to our 8.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How long did it take you to write this bollocks?

For starters, I never dissed Zohore's goal, I just merely described it as a way of a memory jog about that Southampton game. I describe Robson-Kanu's winner against Slovenia in the same way. I think that, and Camerasa's winner at Leicester were in my favourite moments of the season.

You are now blaming the late defeat against Chelsea for other results that happened 2, 4 and 5 weeks later That's as imbecilic as it gets!

What about referencing Sol Bamba's offside goal at home to Brighton? Had that not stood, the Chelsea result would have been irrelevant. You also forget he should have been booked for taking off his shirt (whether that's right or wrong is not the issue here, I'm just applying the law of the game), should have been red carded and he'd have missed the next game.

Carry on believing that the Chelsea result was the one that cost us if it makes you feel better. Most of us know that there were far more reasons than one solitary incident. Relegation happens over a season. We weren't good enough. Players weren't collectively good enough. Manager and his team weren't good enough.

Maybe if he'd have sent them out with the same freedom he did at Old Trafford, we'd have got something.

Between the wins over Fulham and Southampton, we won 4 out of 5 home games. After that, we won 7 points from 10 home games and conceded more goals at home than any other team in the Premier League. Oddly, our away form was the 11th best in the division over the same spell after winning 1 point from our opening 7 away games, courtesy of a 0-0 at 10 man Huddersfield.
    There is no way that we would have played like we did against Man Utd if we still had a chance of avoiding relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    There is no way that we would have played like we did against Man Utd if we still had a chance of avoiding relegation.
    I agree. It would have been the same, cagey display we saw at Fulham, hope to keep it tight and pinch a goal.

Warnock did a fantastic job in turning everything around and getting us promoted, it's what Warnock does best.
    If he was working in the commercial world, he'd be hired to turn around a struggling company and make into a profitable business
    Once this is achieved these guts move on to the next crisis company and repeat the process.

Our biggest mistake with Warnock was allowing him to stay and compete in an environment that he has never been successful in, easy to say in hindsight I know but the club is run by successful business men, who wouldn't think twice about appointing someone to do a certain role and then thanking them with a hefty bonus for achieving that goal.
    What was needed once promotion was achieved was to get a successful manager in with experience of that league, so we stayed in there longer than a strawberry season.
    Warnock did the job he was employed to do, the mistake was asking him to do a different role.

Whatever anyone thinks of Pullis, he adapted and kept Stoke in the Premier league, something Warnock has never done in his long career.
    If Boro get promoted this season, you can bet your bottom dollar that Steve Gibson will have someone lined up for next year to replace him

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Warnock did a fantastic job in turning everything around and getting us promoted, it's what Warnock does best.
    If he was working in the commercial world, he'd be hired to turn around a struggling company and make into a profitable business
    Once this is achieved these guts move on to the next crisis company and repeat the process.

Our biggest mistake with Warnock was allowing him to stay and compete in an environment that he has never been successful in, easy to say in hindsight I know but the club is run by successful business men, who wouldn't think twice about appointing someone to do a certain role and then thanking them with a hefty bonus for achieving that goal.
    What was needed once promotion was achieved was to get a successful manager in with experience of that league, so we stayed in there longer than a strawberry season.
    Warnock did the job he was employed to do, the mistake was asking him to do a different role.

Whatever anyone thinks of Pullis, he adapted and kept Stoke in the Premier league, something Warnock has never done in his long career.
    If Boro get promoted this season, you can bet your bottom dollar that Steve Gibson will have someone lined up for next year to replace him

Steve Gibson is far more astute at running a football club than the dilettantes that run ours. Colin won't be running rings around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    If Pulis is as good as Colin then his first signings will be the McKay twins.
    This deserved more appreciation! 👏

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Steve Gibson is far more astute at running a football club than the dilettantes that run ours. Colin won't be running rings around him.
    "Mehmet begged me to stay" :puke

So that's the end of his "dulcet tones" on Sky on Saturdays