+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff 'International' Airport goes from strength to strength

Cardiff 'International' Airport goes from strength to strength

https://ukaviation.news/jet2s-bristo...holiday-seats/

Initially they were seriously considering either Cardiff or Bristol. Apparently really impressed with WAG's decision to cancel the M4 relief road on environmental grounds.

Re: Cardiff 'International' Airport goes from strength to strength

Shame, although tempered by the fact that holidays seem like some long distance dream at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    https://ukaviation.news/jet2s-bristo...holiday-seats/

Initially they were seriously considering either Cardiff or Bristol. Apparently really impressed with WAG's decision to cancel the M4 relief road on environmental grounds.
    Yes, I'm sure that was the clincher....

Whilst that might not have helped the relief road would be about a decade away.

Not sure that’s the sole reason for choosing Bristol.

Bristol is a far better airport geographically makes perfect sense .

I'm sure if we tried to develop Cardiff Airport the environmental outpouring will be deafening as it was for the M4 relief

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48512697

"" The Welsh Government will not build the £1.6bn M4 relief road, First Minister Mark Drakeford has decided.

He axed the scheme because of its cost and impact on the environment. ""

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    "He axed the scheme because of its cost and impact on the environment."
    What a bastard. Imagine a politician being concerned about public money and the environment. Disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bristol is a far better airport geographically makes perfect sense .

I'm sure if we tried to develop Cardiff Airport the environmental outpouring will be deafening as it was for the M4 relief

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48512697

"" The Welsh Government will not build the £1.6bn M4 relief road, First Minister Mark Drakeford has decided.

He axed the scheme because of its COST and impact on the environment. ""

Haven’t they spent trillions already on bits of paper and compulsory purchases ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What a bastard. Imagine a politician being concerned about public money and the environment. Disgraceful.
    Says the man that complained about castle street being closed

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    spent trillions already
    If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a million times, don’t exaggerate

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Says the man that complained about castle street being closed
    Yup, because that was a massive waste of public money and did sweet **** all for the environment.

Cardiff Airport is ****ed , its a bit potty that two cities of similar size have two similar sized airports and are only 40 miles apart

Birmingham is a fairly big airport and caters for Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton, Stoke etc

The North West of England has Manchester and Liverpool airports serving huge populations

It seems daft to try and push Cardiff Airport when Bristol is years ahead of us , the new link road from the M4 to Cardiff Airport via Barry is going to be a complete waste of money and ruin the environment , best off using Cardiff for freight and accepting if you want to feck off the hamburg , you have to drive an hour and twenty minutes to Bristol

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Whilst that might not have helped the relief road would be about a decade away.

Not sure that’s the sole reason for choosing Bristol.
    No, it probably wasn't, but had the relief road been started a decade ago - when the WAG started prevaricating - it would now be complete. I can imagine Drakeford & Co. selling the airport's accessibility ".. you see, you park your car here, get on a train here, then change at Cardiff for Barry, then get a bus or taxi to the airport. See ? "

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yup, because that was a massive waste of public money and did sweet **** all for the environment.
    It did actually alter it for some though, it piled more traffic onto the roads that remained open to the detriment of the of the folk living in those areas and their environment becoming worse.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It did actually alter it for some though, it piled more traffic onto the roads that remained open to the detriment of the of the folk living in those areas and their environment becoming worse.
    Indeed, and it still does. And it made the city centre look like the scene of a major road accident. For months. And it still does.

Several airports have direct train-lines from centre which would improve transport links without being so bad for the environment. That (improved public transport) is far more likely that a relief road and would work just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Several airports have direct train-lines from centre which would improve transport links without being so bad for the environment. That (improved public transport) is far more likely that a relief road and would work just as well.
    Is the correct solution. Straight off the train onto the plane, more or less, and the same on the return leg. Taxi from the house to Cardiff General, train directly into Rhoose Airport, improve the rail network I say

Don't think Cardiff Airport's problems are anything to do with transport links, despite that new by-pass around Bedminster, Bristol Airport can still be a nightmare to get to. You've got a very affluent catchment area including Bristol itself, Bath and the Cotswolds are close by. B.A , Manx, Air Wales, BmiBaby and Flybe all tried different routes from Cardiff over the years and struggled to make it work.

International

Sadly neither Cardiff council nor WAG has any real interest in developing public transport, they just like to talk about it and then punish car users for not using a totally inadequate and sometimes non-existent facility.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is the correct solution. Straight off the train onto the plane, more or less, and the same on the return leg. Taxi from the house to Cardiff General, train directly into Rhoose Airport, improve the rail network I say

You only need a BOAT in there somewhere, then you could make up a song and call it “Trains and Boats and Planes”

International

Talking of the sore point of traffic retrictions and Cardiff City Centre, I tried to drive into town this morning to do some of my regular shopping. I couldn't get in. It was impossible.
    I drove done around the bottom intending tp park in the St David Centre. I couldn't get near it. The traffic in Callaghan Square waiting to turn right into Bute St didn't move for 10 minutes.
    so I thought I'd go round by the prison, turn left and come in that way. no chance, the traffic waiting to turn left was stationary.
    so I drove up by the back of the blind institute, exactly the same.
    I ended up going through splott up to the junction with Newport Rd Glossop Terrace. The traffic goin into town was stationary. I ended up going up City road to Gabalfa tesco and then home.
    The number of people going into town was ridiculous. I'm a regular shopper there and I have never seen traffic like that on a normal saturday.
    2 things spring to mind. If the council gave people easier access to the other car parks and stopped putting up signs suggesting they are no reachable this wouldn't happen.
    The second, and in this environment more disturbing, is so many people obviously not doing the least they need to. It was seriously worse than Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Don't think Cardiff Airport's problems are anything to do with transport links, despite that new by-pass around Bedminster, Bristol Airport can still be a nightmare to get to. You've got a very affluent catchment area including Bristol itself, Bath and the Cotswolds are close by. B.A , Manx, Air Wales, BmiBaby and Flybe all tried different routes from Cardiff over the years and struggled to make it work.
    It's partly marketing, everyone I know assumes Bristol's is better no matter how long ago they went to Cardiff or Bristol, part of it is to do with UK government decisions not wanting to devolve certain tax laws to Wales due to harm it could do to Bristol airport and part of it....

Cardiff city centre is badly managed with how new developments have gone up without thinking about transport links and it has made driving a nightmare. However, thinking longer term and committing to improved public transport should be seen as a good thing, especially as Boris set to ban sale of new petrol/diesel from 2030. Frankly, we're about 2 months away from South Wales Valley's being flooded again and, presumably, 2 weeks away from Priti Patel making another speech about how awful people feeling Africa/Asia are so we need to get on top of more extreme weather sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Talking of the sore point of traffic retrictions and Cardiff City Centre, I tried to drive into town this morning to do some of my regular shopping. I couldn't get in. It was impossible.
    I drove done around the bottom intending tp park in the St David Centre. I couldn't get near it. The traffic in Callaghan Square waiting to turn right into Bute St didn't move for 10 minutes.
    so I thought I'd go round by the prison, turn left and come in that way. no chance, the traffic waiting to turn left was stationary.
    I ended up going through splott up to the junction with Newport Rd Glossop Terrace. The traffic goin into town was stationary. I ended up going up City road to Gabalfa tesco and then home.
    The number of people going into town was ridiculous. I'm a regular shopper there and I have never seen traffic like that on a normal saturday.
    2 things spring to mind. If the council gave people easier access to the other car parks and stopped putting up signs suggesting they are no reachable this wouldn't happen.
    The second, and in this environment more disturbing, is so many people obviously not doing the least they need to. It was seriously worse than Christmas.
    You do realise that when sat in your car in traffic, you are THE traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You only need a BOAT in there somewhere, then you could make up a song and call it “Trains and Boats and Planes”
    Ah, but is there Paris or Rome flight from Rhoose, but then again that’s for someone else but not for me.

It's partly marketing, everyone I know assumes Bristol's is better no matter how long ago they went to Cardiff or Bristol, part of it is to do with UK government decisions not wanting to devolve certain tax laws to Wales due to harm it could do to Bristol airport and part of it....

Cardiff city centre is badly managed with how new developments have gone up without thinking about transport links and it has made driving a nightmare. However, thinking longer term and committing to improved public transport should be seen as a good thing, especially as Boris set to ban sale of new petrol/diesel from 2030. Frankly, we're about 2 months away from South Wales Valley's being flooded again and, presumably, 2 weeks away from Priti Patel making another speech about how awful people feeling Africa/Asia are so we need to get on top of more extreme weather sooner rather than later.
    Cardiff’s main problem is the price.

The low cost carriers at Bristol have just made it unviable.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It was chaotic. I had some work to do in Grangetown and thought I'd pop into town to pick up a few things. Queues virtually everywhere despite the damp weather.

I guess it was to be expected, though. There have been local lockdowns for a couple of months, people from outside of Cardiff, like me, have been putting off getting some things until we could get back into Cardiff. Monday was hectic, by all accounts. Today was going to be the same as less people work on the weekend.

I completely failed in my bid to keep a social distance from people because of others. There are arrows on pavements trying to stop people walking through other people. No-one gave a shit.