+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cardiff 'International' Airport goes from strength to strength

Re: Cardiff 'International' Airport goes from strength to strength

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Do you think the extra 150 miles makes much difference to a transatlantic flight?
    I wuldn't have thought much, it's about 4% of the distance from NY for example.

A transatlantic flight burns about £25k worth of fuel apparently, so that's a saving of a grand there and a grand back.
    **** all on the cost of a ticket in fairness, but I'm sure airlines go after similar savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    A barrage with a road on it would actually make Bristol Airport much easier to get to for people in South Wales too.

None of the numerous barrage schemes I've seen over the years have actually included a road though.
    Might aswell have a rd though, Bristol to cardiff centre in 15 mins.....we can forget about Newport forever

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Might aswell have a rd though, Bristol to cardiff centre in 15 mins.....we can forget about Newport forever
    If they had led with that angle we would have had the barrage years ago.

Somebody get this guy to the senydd

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Do you think the extra 150 miles makes much difference to a transatlantic flight?
    It does for the airline

International

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    there was a small window of opportunity about 10 years ago when Cardiff and Bristol were both not in great shape.

Should have closed them both and built a new airport (Sevenside airport) right on the border off the M4. loads of land by the bridges, travel would have been better for those living in Bristol and Cardiff than their current airports and could have justified the Seven Barage development ( which I think should have happened)

Could also have kept it in Wales, just to satisfy our ego. As I genuinely think the main reason so much is put into saving Cardiff is because we want our own airport, in our own country.
    But when they had had 3 enquiries and god knows how many objections because of what it might do to the local area and the flora and fauna, we'd have still been waiting for it now if it hadn't already been rejected and a committee set up to look at other ways of improving the traffic through Cardiff airport instead, like charging people in wales to cross the bridge to go to Bristol Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But the problem is compounded by what the council have done. Anyone coming in from the east gets to the bottom of Queen St and they cannot turn left to go around the back to the car parks in St David's or J Lewis. The road is not officially closed, was not one of the named closed streets but the council put "Stewards" on the junction during the day to prevent access. When I asked one why he said, "We are stopping cars going down to maintain social distancing at Queen St station". I asked him how a car driving past would affect social distancing and he replied, in true nazi fashion, "I'm just doing as I'm told"
    So the driver has to go up Dumfries Place round past the city hall, up North Road, down Cardiff road Cathedral road, lower cathedral Road, Care St and Callaghan Square to get to the car park the other way, and the road is logjammed.
    Other signs tend to inform a non-city driver that the cannot access the NCP parks in Westgate St or Greyfriars Road although it isn't true, and this compounds the problem still more.
    As you say, people coming in to town who haven't been into Cardiff for weeks adds to the chaos.
    It was genuinely as bad as I've ever seen it today, far worse than normal christmas mad rush, and we haven't even got to that stage yet.

PS. you are right about the social distancing thing too, a lot of people think if they have a mask on everything else doesn't matter. And the traffic in the city and up the A470 has been as bad this week as it was before March. I can see more lockdown coming if people keep on like this.
    I am sure it will get far worse. Council very concerned with social distancing around queen street station but apparently have given the go ahead for all the Xmas wooden cabins to be erected around the old library and the Hayes. Pure greed comes to mind.

International

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I am sure it will get far worse. Council very concerned with social distancing around queen street station but apparently have given the go ahead for all the Xmas wooden cabins to be erected around the old library and the Hayes. Pure greed comes to mind.
    Just an add-on to this street closure.
    I drove through there today in a van, having to get from The Museum to CCS. The Steward politely moved the cones for me and said, "you're Ok your a trade person." Apparently they are only instructed to stop private4 cars.

Yes Cars! The ones carrying people trying to get to the car parks, the people who want to spend money and keep businesses in the City centre afloat.

The businesses the council is actively destroying by its actions.

some good news for the llanrumney area

building a bridge to link it with the A48 gets a stage closer

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...steps-19293544

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

yes that makes a lot of sense

Feedback

I use the airport 3 or 4 times a week and I've always found it a pleasant enough experience

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I use the airport 3 or 4 times a week and I've always found it a pleasant enough experience
    Yes I always enjoy using it, the staff are helpful, it's so small that you don't have to walk 2 miles to find your gate.
    just a few more routes would be nice.

International

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Wait until the environmental lobby groups start complaining about damage to the flora and fauna, and to the eco system. Then the 3 enquires and hundreds of objections before the WG decides that they can't do it and pay £4 million to set up a board of enquiry to determine what alternatives there may be. And it will probably say the best way is to charge people to drive into the city will will deter them from wanting to go into Cardiff anyway and help the air polution go down.
    Then the city centre will die and people will drive to Bristol or Cribbs Causeway to go shopping, so they can demolish the city centre and make a new park. The Drakeford can ride his bike in it and turn half of it over to allotments.
    Perhaps a slight exaggeration.
    If they sorted out the public transport, which the should have started doing 20 years ago, it would all be totally unnecessary.

Cardiff Airport: Wizz Air base to create 40 new jobs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55166975

Well done

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Cardiff Airport: Wizz Air base to create 40 new jobs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55166975

Well done
    Great news. Be interesting to see if people put their money where their mouth is and use Cardiff airport now they have a budget airline or if they just make another excuse

Rhoose for me every time if possible, good news re. Wizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Great news. Be interesting to see if people put their money where their mouth is and use Cardiff airport now they have a budget airline or if they just make another excuse
    Just been looking on the website and the prices seem good, I'll definitely be giving it a go

Brilliant news, let’s hope local people start using their local airport rather than supporting the Wurzels! Use it or lose it!