+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Euro Qualifier success- media go way over the top

Scottish Euro Qualifier success- media go way over the top

Following Scotland’s extra time , them penalty success against Serbia, you would have thought they had actually won the competition , instead of just qualifying for the group stage. In the previous game they overcame world beaters Israel, also after a penalty shoot out.Not exactly winning in style. Maybe they thought playing for penalties was their best chance of winning. The missed penalty by Mitrovic was almost predictable, and I could have saved it. Everyone knows that Scottish football is garbage- look at their results in Europeans football, recently.
    I don’t see England, Croatia or the Czech Republic having any sleepless nights over Scotland’s ability, when the group stages get played., and I wouldn’t be surprised if those north of the border had to wait another 20 plus years to qualify again for another competition.To all Scottish football fans out there, enjoy it while it lasts. The problem being, it won’t last long.

Re: Scottish Euro Qualifier success- media go way over the top

Yes, I was convinced Mitrovic, who appears to have put on a pound or two lately, was going to miss as well - his record taking penalties for Fulham isn't great I believe. I'm not as dismissive of Scotland's chances in their group though as you, because, unlike us, who will be doing yet another tour of Azerbaijan, they won't need to leave theUK and will take tens of thousands to Wembley.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I was convinced Mitrovic, who appears to have put on a pound or two lately, was going to miss as well - his record taking penalties for Fulham isn't great I believe. I'm not as dismissive of Scotland's chances in their group though as you, because, unlike us, who will be doing yet another tour of Azerbaijan, they won't need to leave theUK and will take tens of thousands to Wembley.
    Rumours today that the UK are looking to host

I'd be surprised if its still spread out around Europe come the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Following Scotland’s extra time , them penalty success against Serbia, you would have thought they had actually won the competition , instead of just qualifying for the group stage. In the previous game they overcame world beaters Israel, also after a penalty shoot out.Not exactly winning in style. Maybe they thought playing for penalties was their best chance of winning. The missed penalty by Mitrovic was almost predictable, and I could have saved it. Everyone knows that Scottish football is garbage- look at their results in Europeans football, recently.
    I don’t see England, Croatia or the Czech Republic having any sleepless nights over Scotland’s ability, when the group stages get played., and I wouldn’t be surprised if those north of the border had to wait another 20 plus years to qualify again for another competition.To all Scottish football fans out there, enjoy it while it lasts. The problem being, it won’t last long.
    Considering how long we had to wait, 22 years to get to a tournament is not that long and not winning one of these qualifiers in regular time does take the shine off a bit so can see what you mean about the media going OTT; however, in terms of what they can do or whether their success will last, don't we have to look at how old their squad is, where they're playing football and whether they have good players across the park? Don't think they have much at CB but I could get a premier league quality full-backs, midfield and attack out of their squad with most of those 23-29 years old. With 2 games at home, it wouldn't surprise me to see them get out of the group stages now that they've got there.

What a strange team Serbia are though? They haven't qualified for Euros since 2000 but have qualified for 3 out of 5 World Cups in the same period. What is going on there? Aren't the Euros easier to get into?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Considering how long we had to wait, 22 years to get to a tournament is not that long and not winning one of these qualifiers in regular time does take the shine off a bit so can see what you mean about the media going OTT; however, in terms of what they can do or whether their success will last, don't we have to look at how old their squad is, where they're playing football and whether they have good players across the park? Don't think they have much at CB but I could get a premier league quality full-backs, midfield and attack out of their squad with most of those 23-29 years old. With 2 games at home, it wouldn't surprise me to see them get out of the group stages now that they've got there.

What a strange team Serbia are though? They haven't qualified for Euros since 2000 but have qualified for 3 out of 4 World Cups in the same period. What is going on there?
    The weird thing with Scotland is in spite of having a fairly old squad, they don't have much in the way of international experience. Their current squad has an average age of 27.4 and just 402 caps between them. Compare that to Wales with an average age of 24.2 and 482 caps between them, and that's a Wales squad without the experience of Hennessey (94), Ramsey (61), Allen (56) and HRK (45)

Scotland unfortunately have a tough group but on home turf could do some damage if fans are allowed. I think England & Croatia will have too much for them and Scotland's first team only just about got past the Czech C team a couple of months ago

You need to be really bad or really unlucky not to qualify for the expanded competition as so many Teams now make the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

What a strange team Serbia are though? They haven't qualified for Euros since 2000 but have qualified for 3 out of 5 World Cups in the same period. What is going on there? Aren't the Euros easier to get into?
    I see Kosovo are being called "the Brazil of the Balkans" now, but that title used to be applied to Yugoslavia who used to fascinate me about thirty years ago because they had all of these great, technical footballers and yet used to punch well below their weight when it came to the big tournaments. I suppose what has happened in old Yugoslavia since the fall of the Berlin Wall helps explain that inconsistency, but it seems that Serbia have taken on the mantle of the Yogoslav football team because they should really be better than they are when you look at their team - I think it must be a mentality thing.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Rumours today that the UK are looking to host

I'd be surprised if its still spread out around Europe come the summer
    Where are these rumours coming from, a reliable source? We really need a definite tournament plan from EUFA or are they still insisting that the original format is going ahead albeit a 12 month later. If it is, all rumours need to be nipped in the bud and reimbursements to fans confirmed should they alter (fat chance of that I s’pose though).

I agree has been a bit OTT, however I think Scotland have got a half decent squad in the euros you only need a little bit of luck to do well

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Where are these rumours coming from, a reliable source? We really need a definite tournament plan from EUFA or are they still insisting that the original format is going ahead albeit a 12 month later. If it is, all rumours need to be nipped in the bud and reimbursements to fans confirmed should they alter (fat chance of that I s’pose though).
    Daily Mail

Apparently their plan A is to have the original 12 cities idea with fans, but the FA are negotiating to host it in the UK

I had tickets for Wales' group games but I've refunded them, it was tricky enough getting to Azerbaijan without a pandemic and a feckin war

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Daily Mail

Apparently their plan A is to have the original 12 cities idea with fans, but the FA are negotiating to host it in the UK

I had tickets for Wales' group games but I've refunded them, it was tricky enough getting to Azerbaijan without a pandemic and a feckin war
    I’ve kept the tickets but had flights refunded, I’m just not sure what to do, book more accommodation and flights and go through the refund rigmarole should things alter again, it’s a ball of confusion but that’s what the world is today and sometimes the temptation is to say f*ck it as we just don’t know what’s going to happen and whether its just my imagination EUFA don’t either.

If the FA are offering to host the whole thing then that confirms that no fans will be in attendance - I can’t imagine any country would want to risk thousands of fans flying in over such a short space of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    If the FA are offering to host the whole thing then that confirms that no fans will be in attendance - I can’t imagine any country would want to risk thousands of fans flying in over such a short space of time.
    I mentioned before that should the tournament be behind closed doors London could host it no problem, no travelling around the country, squads staying in their own hotel, officials not having to move around either. Plenty of grounds to accommodate 6 groups of four, 24 teams that are soon whittled down after the group stages. Not having to cater for fans could even mean two games could be played on the same day at the same ground if need be, one 3pm, deep clean after that one and another at 8pm. No players, match officials, EUFA bigwigs, journalists etc moving around at all, very self contained and safe. Plenty of training facilities as well, given the number of clubs in the London area.

No more than the media were all over us and rightly so. Give them their moment in the limelight

With Hungary and Slovakia winning their play off games it means 4 of the 5 teams in our group qualified - that’s got to be done sort of record!

Lucky or not well done to them , one of my mothers carers is a Dundee United fan and she had a broad smile on her face in the morning

Which was probably down to seeing me

Whilst i don’t rate their chances in the finals, i can understand the euphoria surrounding their qualifying.
    Must have been lots of frustration for a football daft country to have had to wait so long.
    Must admit, i was very impressed with their penalties in both shootouts. 10/10 .
    Also i was so happy for our former keeper Marshall to make the winning save.
    Can’t see them or us going any further than the group stages though.

No problem at all with them celebrating however they see fit, I’m all for it. Marshall’s one of it not the best keepers we’ve had down the city in my time so chuffed for him to have saved the penalty.

I like Scotland and the Scots, and respect Scottish football generally, but I do tend to want their national team to fail. Scotland v England is probably the only fixture where I’d rather England win.

I’m sceptical we’ll see a Euro competition in 6 months time or so with 100% capacities. Decided to get a refund on my tickets to Azerbaijan, I’d love to go but it just seems daft in the midst of a pandemic and conflict. Have kept hold of the Rome ticket just in case as I’ve friends that live in the country so can leave it a bit more last minute to see how things pan out before getting a flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    No problem at all with them celebrating however they see fit, I’m all for it. Marshall’s one of it not the best keepers we’ve had down the city in my time so chuffed for him to have saved the penalty.

I like Scotland and the Scots, and respect Scottish football generally, but I do tend to want their national team to fail. Scotland v England is probably the only fixture where I’d rather England win.

I’m sceptical we’ll see a Euro competition in 6 months time or so with 100% capacities. Decided to get a refund on my tickets to Azerbaijan, I’d love to go but it just seems daft in the midst of a pandemic and conflict. Have kept hold of the Rome ticket just in case as I’ve friends that live in the country so can leave it a bit more last minute to see how things pan out before getting a flight.
    Anyone who gives England a leathering gets my vote , especially Scotland or Ireland but especially us

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Anyone who gives England a leathering gets my vote , especially Scotland or Ireland but especially us
    In most instances and in most sporting contexts I’d agree with you. But more than any other country Scotland have played their part in denying us, rightly or wrongly, from making a few appearances at major tournements over the years.

I’d argue from a Welsh national footballing sense, there’s much more there historically speaking than against England (which is a wider, cultural thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    In most instances and in most sporting contexts I’d agree with you. But more than any other country Scotland have played their part in denying us, rightly or wrongly, from making a few appearances at major tournements over the years.

I’d argue from a Welsh national footballing sense, there’s much more there historically speaking than against England (which is a wider, cultural thing).
    I get that , the anfield debacle was a nightmare and the Ninian Park draw was a sucker

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Thanks for your good wishes...
    I had loads of congratulatory texts from decent Welsh friends . A real sore head the morning after . The euphoria of qualifying was unbelievable , yep , that's the limit of our ambitions. When you are bringing on Calum Patterson as a sub that tells you everything about the talent in Scottish football.
    We still managed to qualify with the limited resources available . Steve Clark has done an amazing job turning Scottish football round .

Will we win it ? Unlikely .But like Wales we will enjoy the ride .

Scotland have been given an extra champions league place , down in the qualifiers admittedly but it is a positive.
    Modern football is about money , Scottish club football doesn't have the money the bigger European clubs have therefore
    progressing in Europe is difficult at the top level. Thats why, unfortunately, it is unlikely we will see a Welsh team in the latter stages of the Champions league any time soon.
    Rangers aren't doing too badly in Europe this year. Not the top tier admittedly, still a lot of great sides in the tournament.

So its not all gloom and doom from a Scottish perspective, its probably as good as it gets . And thank you again, I AM enjoying the moment .xx

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I had loads of congratulatory texts from decent Welsh friends . A real sore head the morning after . The euphoria of qualifying was unbelievable , yep , that's the limit of our ambitions. When you are bringing on Calum Patterson as a sub that tells you everything about the talent in Scottish football.
    We still managed to qualify with the limited resources available . Steve Clark has done an amazing job turning Scottish football round .

Scotland have been given an extra champions league place , down in the qualifiers admittedly but it is a positive.
    Modern football is about money , Scottish club football doesn't have the money the bigger European clubs have therefore
    progressing in Europe is difficult at the top level. Thats why, unfortunately, it is unlikely we will see a Welsh team in the latter stages of the Champions league any time soon.
    Rangers aren't doing too badly in Europe this year. Not the top tier admittedly, still a lot of great sides in the tournament.

So its not all gloom and doom from a Scottish perspective, its probably as good as it gets . And thank you again, I AM enjoying the moment .xx

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Scotland are playing good football. Relying on one or two good players to orchestrate the performances . We all know how fragile that can be when the better players aren't available

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

Congratulations mate, I remember the feeling when we qualified, celebrated for months. People seem to be forgetting that euphoria and because we've qualified twice in a row seem to think it's easy. 🙄 Enjoy it!