+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Big Match Revisited

The Big Match Revisited

Flicking through old episodes on ITV hub, randomly picked one, it was Millwall v Pompey 1974, one of TOBW’s school contemporaries in the Millwall ranks, Jonathan Moore but more interestingly our own Brian Clark up front for them. Obviously knew at the time he’d had a spell there but it had completely slipped my mind, bit of a surprise seeing him with someone else and although he’d knocked about a few clubs he’s still ours and ours alone in my mind.

Re: The Big Match Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Flicking through old episodes on ITV hub, randomly picked one, it was Millwall v Pompey 1974, one of TOBW’s school contemporaries in the Millwall ranks, Jonathan Moore but more interestingly our own Brian Clark up front for them. Obviously knew at the time he’d had a spell there but it had completely slipped my mind, bit of a surprise seeing him with someone else and although he’d knocked about a few clubs he’s still ours and ours alone in my mind.
    Scored against us as well at Ninian Park

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Scored against us as well at Ninian Park
    Bastard!!!!!

I know those games from 74/75 off by heart now having watched the Big Match Revisited stacks of times during the first lockdown - that game was one they struggled to get a decent highlights package from . Regarding Brian Clark, I can remember Millwall coming down here towards the end of the previous season and winning 3-1 in a game where we did a great impersonation of a relegation side - Brian Clark definitely played for them that day and I'm fairly sure he scored.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I know those games from 74/75 off by heart now having watched the Big Match Revisited stacks of times during the first lockdown - that game was one they struggled to get a decent highlights package from . Regarding Brian Clark, I can remember Millwall coming down here towards the end of the previous season and winning 3-1 in a game where we did a great impersonation of a relegation side - Brian Clark definitely played for them that day and I'm fairly sure he scored.
    AS I said above he did. From a corner I think

And he celebrated it. None of your not celebrating goals against a previous club in those days, that is a relatively recent developement.

Funny how you remember the players, just saw a goalie tip one over the bar and instantly knew it was Bryan King, just strange watching Clarky playing for Millwall though.

I saw that game too on TV last week. Brian Clark didn't do much top be fair, was released at the end go the season and came 'home' to City for 1975/76. He scored 1 League goal and a couple in the Cup and was then freed by us, joining Newport County. Jon Moore was a Cardiff lad who played for Bristol Rovers, Millwall and Bournemouth.

Also in the Portsmouth team was Paul Went. I have happy memories of him at City, especially when he was played at centre -forward and scored some goals.

Just watched West Ham v Wolves 1974, Trevor Brooking was the forerunner of walking football but what a player. Another reminder that all fans sang ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’, us included, with it ringing out from the Boleyn terraces.

Just watched West Ham v Wolves 1974, Trevor Brooking was the forerunner of walking football but what a player. Another reminder that all fans sang ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’, us included, with it ringing out from the Boleyn terraces.
    Now that was a game worth watching - 5-2 and some tremendous goals from West Ham who were such a good side to watch when playing well.

Now that was a game worth watching - 5-2 and some tremendous goals from West Ham who were such a good side to watch when playing well.
    Would Frank Lampard’s goal be questioned now? We all know about the Carr/Hunt donkey kick being eventually outlawed but I haven’t witnessed the the ‘lob’ free kick before or since.

Would Frank Lampard’s goal be questioned now? We all know about the Carr/Hunt donkey kick being eventually outlawed but I haven’t witnessed the the ‘lob’ free kick before or since.
    No, I've not seen it either, think you might be right.

Haven't seen any Big Match re-runs recently but I do remember West Ham being on there almost every other week.
    I know it was London Weekend Television so there was always a good chance of them being on but they did seem to have more than their fair share.
    I suppose it may have been down to all their England internationals they had playing, including the late great Bobby Moore.

Funny what sticks in the mind though, for example Pat Holland.
    I remember Brian Moore always referring to him as Patsy Holland.

Another I remember when Spurs played and had a throw-in, Moore would utter "Chivers with the long one"

The Big Match. Do you remember the time they ran a competition where they changed the intro to the show and you had to name the 20 (or whatever it was) action clips from the original intro? Was thinking the other day how that was possible then before videos/iplayer etc. (Someone please confirm that I haven't just imagined this in my advancing years!....)

Find it amazing that whenever Brian Moore read out the winners name of goal of the month, or a letter from a viewer, he'd read out their full address.
    Just cant imagine that happening these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Haven't seen any Big Match re-runs recently but I do remember West Ham being on there almost every other week.
    I know it was London Weekend Television so there was always a good chance of them being on but they did seem to have more than their fair share.
    I suppose it may have been down to all their England internationals they had playing, including the late great Bobby Moore.

Funny what sticks in the mind though, for example Pat Holland.
    I remember Brian Moore always referring to him as Patsy Holland.

Another I remember when Spurs played and had a throw-in, Moore would utter "Chivers with the long one"
    I agree West Ham were on the Big Match an awful lot in the sixties and seventies, but I never minded that because they were invariably good games which had a tendency to finish 3-3 (the referee got hit by the ball in one of them and was out cold for a short while during which Bobby Moore picked up the ref's whistle and stopped the game so he could get treatment).

In 1979 I think it was me and a few mates went for a weekend in London and went to watch West Ham play Sunderland at Upton Park. and, of course, it ended up as a 3-3 draw.

My initial memories of Big Match in the 70's (and MotD) was the goal posts at QPR and West Ham. Phil Parkes usually in-between the sticks. A quick Google brought up the tweet below.

Also I recall going to visit a freind / relative somewhere in Gwent, sometime in the 70's and it was a Sunday afternoon. The Big Match was on the TV and Cardiff were on there playing Sunderland I believe (it could have been Stoke). Does that ring any bells with anyone. Did we appear on the big Match against either of those sides around 1974?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    My initial memories of Big Match in the 70's (and MotD) was the goal posts at QPR and West Ham. Phil Parkes usually in-between the sticks. A quick Google brought up the tweet below.

Also I recall going to visit a freind / relative somewhere in Gwent, sometime in the 70's and it was a Sunday afternoon. The Big Match was on the TV and Cardiff were on there playing Sunderland I believe (it could have been Stoke). Does that ring any bells with anyone. Did we appear on the big Match against either of those sides around 1974?

City were on the Big Match in 78/79 against both Stoke and Sunderland - that season was featured on BT Sport when they were showing the Big Match revisited and both of the matches were shown. We were beaten 3-1 at Ninian Park by Stoke and then won 2-1 at Roker Park to deal a fatal blow to Sunderland's promotion chances.

We were on the Big Match getting stuffed 3-0 by QPR in 1972, but I don't think we were on against anyone else until those two matches seven years later.

I think QPR and West Ham were the only teams with those smaller goals weren't they.

City were on the Big Match in 78/79 against both Stoke and Sunderland - that season was featured on BT Sport when they were showing the Big Match revisited and both of the matches were shown. We were beaten 3-1 at Ninian Park by Stoke and then won 2-1 at Roker Park to deal a fatal blow to Sunderland's promotion chances.

We were on the Big Match getting stuffed 3-0 by QPR in 1972, but I don't think we were on against anyone else until those two matches seven years later.

I think QPR and West Ham were the only teams with those smaller goals weren't they.
    I'm probably mistaken but did Ray Bishop score against Sunderland in that televised game ?

Didnt Garth Crooks play for Stoke that day. Might have scored a goal or 2?

That West ham v Wolves game had future City player Keith Robson playing for West Ham and fur manager Kenny hobbit for Wolves. Ion another show Alan Foggon was playing for Middlesbrough (not the Fatty Foggon we saw).

Today's show featured QPR v Burnley with Gerry Francis at QPR, and Brian Flynn on the bench for Burnley. Leighton James was the star man, I remember him at Ninan Park when he was playing for Wales. He was really greedy and wouldn't pass to anyone, never liked him but he was a good player. Also Ipswich v Middlesbrough but no Russell Osman and Alan Foggon was in the Middlesbrough team, but i couldn't see him during the game (a bit like his time at City!). Also Wolves v Coventry but no sign of Hibbitt.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I saw that game too on TV last week. Brian Clark didn't do much top be fair, was released at the end go the season and came 'home' to City for 1975/76. He scored 1 League goal and a couple in the Cup and was then freed by us, joining Newport County. Jon Moore was a Cardiff lad who played for Bristol Rovers, Millwall and Bournemouth.

Also in the Portsmouth team was Paul Went. I have happy memories of him at City, especially when he was played at centre -forward and scored some goals.

The first time I saw Paul Went play was for England Schoolboys v Scotland Schoolboys at Wembley in 1965, a game that they won 3-0. In the same England team was Alun Evans and a promising young goalkeeper called Peter Shilton.

Could quite easily have been 78. in fact most probably was

On the Big Match away at colchester 75/76 and away chelsea 76/77. but we were not the main match.
    Spedger

I went to the 76/77 Chelsea game, a very interesting day. Not the big match but we were on MOTD in 74/75 at Norwich, I think it was 1-1. We were relegated and Norwich were promoted that season.