+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Prix and other sports

The Grand Prix and other sports

People are entitled to gain enjoyment from whatever they want , as long as its legal

But I simply cannot understand the pleasure of watching a bloke drive 100 Laps around a track

I have no doubt these people are dedicated and have to have very good fitness levels but it bores the shit out of me , people flying from this country to Monaco or dubai to watch it good God

Football , rugby union , cricket and sometimes athletics I can watch , baseball at a push and Austin rules

But Grand Prix , Darts , American Football , Basketball , ice hockey , the London marathon , rowing , tennis , badminton , archery etc etc , Christ I would rather knit cheese

Re: The Grand Prix and other sports

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People are entitled to gain enjoyment from whatever they want , as long as its legal

But I simply cannot understand the pleasure of watching a bloke drive 100 Laps around a track

I have no doubt these people are dedicated and have to have very good fitness levels but it bores the shit out of me , people flying from this country to Monaco or dubai to watch it good God

Football , rugby union , cricket and sometimes athletics I can watch , baseball at a push and Austin rules

But Grand Prix , Darts , American Football , Basketball , ice hockey , the London marathon , rowing , tennis , badminton , archery etc etc , Christ I would rather knit cheese

Same as me, at least Scalextric came off the track and landed upside down on the carpet. Although you say your not keen on car racing yet you’ll watch Austin rules

Football, rugby union, cricket and sometimes athletics I can watch, baseball at a push and Austin rules

But Grand Prix, Darts, American Football, Basketball, ice hockey, the London marathon, rowing, tennis, badminton, archery etc etc, Christ I would rather knit cheese
    So just to be clear, you take no joy in watching Grand Prix, Darts, American Football, Basketball, ice hockey, the London marathon, rowing, tennis, badminton, archery etc but you DO take joy in telling people you don't take joy in watching Grand Prix, Darts, American Football, Basketball, ice hockey, the London marathon, rowing, tennis, badminton, archery?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Same as me, at least Scalextric came off the track and landed upside down on the carpet. Although you say your not keen on car racing yet you’ll watch Austin rules
    😆

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    So just to be clear, you take no joy in watching Grand Prix , Darts , American Football , Basketball , ice hockey , the London marathon , rowing , tennis , badminton , archery etc but you DO take joy in telling people you don't take joy in watching Grand Prix , Darts , American Football , Basketball , ice hockey , the London marathon , rowing , tennis , badminton , archery?
    I could have said in my opinion, grand prix etc is total shit but that would be untrue as its just my opinion, lots of people enjoy it , I would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick

I could have said in my opinion, grand prix etc is total shit but that would be untrue as its just my opinion, lots of people enjoy it , I would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick
    ooh I wouldn't, that sounds awful

Ice Hockey is brilliant, fantastic sport which you could watch for the first time without really knowing the rules and still really enjoy yourself.
    It’s fast paced, end to end and a real family night out down the Bay.

It helps Cardiff Devils have been one of the best teams in the UK over recent years and held their own in the European competition recently...no longer the whipping boys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Ice Hockey is brilliant, fantastic sport which you could watch for the first time without really knowing the rules and still really enjoy yourself.
    It’s fast paced, end to end and a real family night out down the Bay.

It helps Cardiff Devils have been one of the best teams in the UK over recent years and held their own in the European competition recently...no longer the whipping boys.
    I fully appreciate you enjoy it and its a good family sport but its not for me although I would go to see a good ruck , which seem to go on forever

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    So just to be clear, you take no joy in watching Grand Prix, Darts, American Football, Basketball, ice hockey, the London marathon, rowing, tennis, badminton, archery etc but you DO take joy in telling people you don't take joy in watching Grand Prix, Darts, American Football, Basketball, ice hockey, the London marathon, rowing, tennis, badminton, archery?
    Also, Bob Monkhouse and Des O'Connor. Anything else you don't like, Sludge?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Also, Bob Monkhouse and Des O'Connor. Anything else you don't like, Sludge?
    The Conservative Party , Swansea City and Horse Racing

Golf

Can't believe I forgot golf

Yet you take enjoyment yourself from sitting on a river bank dangling a hooked maggot in the water.
    Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Yet you take enjoyment yourself from sitting on a river bank dangling a hooked maggot in the water.
    Each to their own.
    And sometimes he goes fishing as well

this is the type of content I pay my CCMB membership fees for

Thats below the belt , quite literally

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Each to their own.
    Nope I get enjoyment from tricking predatory fish such as pike , perch , chub and trout that the imitation small metal thing I am winding in past them is a little fish that they like eating

Its very exciting when they snap at the spinner and my rod buckles over , I am out in nature getting fresh air and exercising at the same time .

But like grand prix , its not for everyone

i'm not into cars or bikes racing around a track, but one thing that isn't in doubt is their skill and bravery. They're dangerous sports, some of the people that do it must struggle with normal life after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    i'm not into cars or bikes racing around a track, but one thing that isn't in doubt is their skill and bravery. They're dangerous sports, some of the people that do it must struggle with normal life after that.
    Can't argue with that , imagine the g force taking those corners , must be incredible

But I can't watch it for 5 minutes

Nope I get enjoyment from tricking predatory fish such as pike , perch , chub and trout that the imitation small metal thing I am winding in past them is a little fish that they like eating

Its very exciting when they snap at the spinner and my rod buckles over , I am out in nature getting fresh air and exercising at the same time .

But like grand prix , its not for everyone
    Does your rod often buckle over when you get excited?

You're not alone in your views of Formula 1. I know it's generalising somewhat but F1 seems to appeal to those people who have little or no interest whatsoever in other sports. There are exceptions of course but I know of so many who fall into this category.

''But I simply cannot understand the pleasure of watching a bloke drive 100 Laps around a track''

But I simply cannot understand the pleasure of watching a float bobbing about for hours on end.

Each to their own and all that, but I get a lot more pleasure out of watching drivers wheel to wheel at over 200mph

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    ''But I simply cannot understand the pleasure of watching a bloke drive 100 Laps around a track''

But I simply cannot understand the pleasure of watching a float bobbing about for hours on end.

Each to their own and all that, but I get a lot more pleasure out of watching drivers wheel to wheel at over 200mph
    More enjoyable than watching other drivers being wheel to wheel at 70mph on a crowded motorway!

I watched Formula One religiously for years and years until 2018 when I suddenly lost interest and haven't watched a single race since.

For me, F1 lost it's thrill along time ago; the best era IMO was the 90s in it's entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I watched Formula One religiously for years and years until 2018 when I suddenly lost interest and haven't watched a single race since.

For me, F1 lost it's thrill along time ago; the best era IMO was the 90s in it's entirety.
    Its been a great season so far this year. Lots of new tracks and tracks revisited from yesteryear. The only downside is the lack of fans. Hopefully next year will see fans allowed back in, not only to F1 but to all sporting events.
    I enjoyed the 90's too