+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 0 Rep of IRELAND. Match thread

Re: FT: WALES 1 - 0 Rep of IRELAND. Match thread

Ireland finish with 10 men. Could have popped in a couple more there, Brooks denied, Kieffer soft shot and Roberts felled when clean through.

But a wins a win. Finland in Cardiff on Wednesday. Wales need a point to win promotion.

It’s a win and if we avoid defeat on Wednesday it’s job done. It might just come in handy with three World Cup play off spots up for grabs if we mess up in the World Cup qualifiers.

Deserved win. When was the last time we kept 7 consecutive clean sheets and 10 unbeaten in competitive matches?

Re: WALES v Rep of IRELAND. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Unbeaten in 10 competitive games, 1-0 up in this one, top of the group having not lost a match, Bale not been playing for a year, Allen been out for 6 months, Ramsey played a handful of those. Oh and qualified for the Euro's
    And 7 straight clean sheets!

Unbeaten in 10 competitive games, 1-0 up in this one, top of the group having not lost a match, Bale not been playing for a year, Allen been out for 6 months, Ramsey played a handful of those. Oh and qualified for the Euro's
    I know all that, its brilliant. We had 2 lads from Luton Town starting and some Newport boys on the bench...go Wales. My message was in response to all those previously in this thread, mine included, that this is exactly what we need to recognise. A team with 3 or so proven players, a few on the fringes and loads of shite. So of course we aren't going to entertain and smash every team.

Another great result without being a vintage performance (but some good passages of play). Time was that Wales would have got completely bullied out of that game so it's pleasing to see the strength in this young team.

And 7 straight clean sheets!
    Football fans don't like facts and positivity. Unless you have 99% possession and win 4-0 every game your team is useless

Robbie Page’s interview confused the hell out me - his voice and accent is exactly like Chris Coleman!! I thought it was Coleman when I was listening in the background then!!

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I know all that, its brilliant. We had 2 lads from Luton Town starting and some Newport boys on the bench...go Wales. My message was in response to all those previously in this thread, mine included, that this is exactly what we need to recognise. A team with 3 or so proven players, a few on the fringes and loads of shite. So of course we aren't going to entertain and smash every team.
    Ok fair enough, but I'd say we've got more than 3 proven players. Two world class players yes, but easily 5/6 on the level beneath them

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Football fans don't like facts and positivity. Unless you have 99% possession and win 4-0 every game your team is useless
    Or the fact that your team is average and has put together a fantastic run of results so recognise that.

Would you rather a 2016 type of adventure in euro 21, or a Greece win but bore everyone to death and be hated?

By hook or by crook we’ve found a way of winning and not conceding as well in the games that matter, nigh on every football team in the world would settle for that. This era is so much better than the nearly years of the past.

Would you rather a 2016 type of adventure in euro 21, or a Greece win but bore everyone to death and be hated?

I think, no, I know, if we’d (in other people’s opinions) bored our way to winning Euro16 the adventure for us fans would have been better than it was. Wales.. European Champions, how could that be boring. I wouldn’t imagine the Greeks hung their heads in shame while apologising to the purists.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think, no, I know, if we’d (in other people’s opinions) bored our way to winning Euro16 the adventure for us fans would have been better than it was. Wales.. European Champions, how could that be boring. I wouldn’t imagine the Greeks hung their heads in shame while apologising to the purists.
    this 100%

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Aren't they just.
    Like watching Stoke under Pulis.
    Hardly, Stoke used to win when Pulis was in charge!

Loads of shite is pretty harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Hardly, Stoke used to win when Pulis was in charge!
    I was referring to their bullying style and not being great on the eye.
    Stoke did have a lot more quality than the ROI have.

Hmmmm, now let me think about that one...

The latter of course

I thought Rodon and Neco were excellent. Can’t fault the defensive effort. How many consecutive clean sheets in competitive games is that now?

Wales were hardly playing like Brazil in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Yep, and the 2016 team were very reliant on Bale (especially in qualifying) and Ramsey, if either of those weren't playing AND in good form then we weren't a good side.

I can remember struggling to beat Andorra, and that was with a Bale of 5 years ago who was world class.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Loads of shite is pretty harsh.
    True. Should have read, 'Loads of 2nd and 3rd division players".

Look, i am always trying to be contrarian on here with Wales, not to be an arsehole but because i don't think the Welsh squad is that strong. I want them to win, but i canŽt just think that because they are suddenly capped for wales having been discovered at 24 playing for Luton weŽll kick on and be brilliant. Its exactly the same thing i read on here about young english players and the english media.

WeŽll forever be a team that will have a wide gap in ability from top to bottom in each squad, so fair play to the mangers who recently have got a tune out of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    True, and we didn't lose 7-1...but did we have an adventure?

Rodon looks a very good player. Composed and times his tackles. Neko Williams is very skilful and even though slight of build he doesn’t get bullied off the ball. Two very good defenders long term.
    Mepham does make me nervous. He does have mistakes in him but he did ok.
    Pleased that Danny Ward is getting some games. He is a good keeper but needs to be at a club where he gets regular game time.

True, and we didn't lose 7-1...but did we have an adventure?
    Yes but fans would have an adventure if it was the most boring spectacle on earth.

Just add beer.