+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Ray Clemence

  1. #1

    RIP Ray Clements

    England and Liverpool Goalkeeper as left the building age 72

  2. #2

    Re: RIP Ray Clements

    Wow didn't hear that one its all Des on the radio

  3. #3

    Ray Clemence

    Posting a 2nd thread out of respect to spelling his name correctly

    Lost his battle with cancer at 72. No age.

    England managers could never make their mind up between him and Shilton.

  4. #4

    Re: Ray Clemence

    RIP

  5. #5

  6. #6

    Re: Ray Clemence

    He was a top keeper.RIP Ray

  7. #7

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    He was a top keeper.RIP Ray
    +1

  8. #8

    Re: Ray Clemence

    A top keeper who had it not been for Shilton would have won an incredible amount of caps.
    At both Spurs and Liverpool he was part of some outstanding teams.
    Always came across well . yet another of my sporting childhood gone.

  9. #9

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Bob Wilson ( Gunners ) keeper just spoke of Clemence as being a real gent and a great keeper , and managed gracefully being in the shadow of Shilton .

  10. #10

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bob Wilson ( Gunners ) keeper just spoke of Clemence as being a real gent and a great keeper , and managed gracefully being in the shadow of Shilton .
    I do remember him letting a soft one in through his legs up at hampden against Kenny Dalglish

  11. #11

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Posting a 2nd thread out of respect to spelling his name correctly

    Lost his battle with cancer at 72. No age.

    England managers could never make their mind up between him and Shilton.
    Not forgetting they followed Gordon Banks - ( career cut short by a car accident in which he lost an eye)...
    ... and they both kept out Peter Bonetti, who was miles better than any of England's keepers over the past few decades.


    72 is no age these days, especially for a sportsman.
    RIP

  12. #12

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bob Wilson ( Gunners ) keeper just spoke of Clemence as being a real gent and a great keeper , and managed gracefully being in the shadow of Shilton .
    I'm not sure about being in Shilton's shadow, Clemence and Shilton played alternatively under Ron Greenwood when he was England manager even in competitive matches because he said he genuinely couldn't say which one of them was the better. I always thought Shelton was more of a manufactured goalkeeper, while Clemence was more of a natural - what's certain is that they'd both win something like 150 caps for England if either one of them were around now.

    RIP

  13. #13

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm not sure about being in Shilton's shadow, Clemence and Shilton played alternatively under Ron Greenwood when he was England manager even in competitive matches because he said he genuinely couldn't say which one of them was the better. I always thought Shelton was more of a manufactured goalkeeper, while Clemence was more of a natural - what's certain is that they'd both win something like 150 caps for England if either one of them were around now.

    RIP
    England were blessed in that era

  14. #14

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    England were blessed in that era
    They certainly were re. ‘keepers. Division One was awash with English goalies of international standard.

  15. #15

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Was this the same Peter Bonetti that let England down in Mexico 1970. ?

  16. #16

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Was this the same Peter Bonetti that let England down in Mexico 1970. ?
    Sure was, they were 2 nil up against ze Germans when he came on

  17. #17

    Re: Ray Clemence

    I don’t think he came on but started the game as Banks had a stomach problem. Also, Ramsey took off Bobby Charlton, to save him for the next game, which altered the pattern of the game.

  18. #18

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I donít think he came on but started the game as Banks had a stomach problem. Also, Ramsey took off Bobby Charlton, to save him for the next game, which altered the pattern of the game.
    Ah right fair enough, without looking it up I think you may well be correct, it was 50 years ago so the memory not great.

    I knew the game changed dramatically second half against West Germany and I do seem to remember PB letting in a couple of soft goals.
    Hate to admit but I also remember I was upset they got beat!

    Edit:
    Less upset tonight though, Belgium 2-0 England FT.
    Last edited by MacAdder; 15-11-20 at 22:20. Reason: England Belgium addendum

  19. #19

    Re: RIP Ray Clements

    Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    England and Liverpool Goalkeeper as left the building age 72
    I always remember him as an excellent goalkeeper.

    Which made his move from Liverpool to Spurs all the more puzzling. I remember it being a big shock at the time with no real explanation (he was certainly nowhere near the end of his career as he went on to play for Tottenham for years)

    And Liverpool replaced him with Bruce Grobelaar who was nowhere near as good as Clemence.

    I still seems strange.

  20. #20

    Re: Ray Clemence

    I heard the news about his death last night while watching the Wales game in town and thought I'd have a few shots in honour of his memory.

  21. #21

    Re: RIP Ray Clements

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I always remember him as an excellent goalkeeper.

    Which made his move from Liverpool to Spurs all the more puzzling. I remember it being a big shock at the time with no real explanation (he was certainly nowhere near the end of his career as he went on to play for Tottenham for years)

    And Liverpool replaced him with Bruce Grobelaar who was nowhere near as good as Clemence.

    I still seems strange.
    Yes, I recall the surprise when he left as well and it was never really explained at the time.

    I've been doing some research and found this link to a story from the time;-

    https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/201

    which doesn't really tell us much except that Liverpool has already signed Grobbelaar, so if you put that with the fact that Liverpool were perfectly happy to use Grobbelaar as first choice after Clemence was sold, it does, perhaps, suggest that Clemence thought the writing was on the wall for him so to speak?

  22. #22

    Re: Ray Clemence

    There's an interview with him where he said he was sitting in the dressing room after winning the European Cup in 81 and it felt like just another day at the office, so he wanted a new challenge. Might just be as simple as that.

  23. #23

    Re: Ray Clemence

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    There's an interview with him where he said he was sitting in the dressing room after winning the European Cup in 81 and it felt like just another day at the office, so he wanted a new challenge. Might just be as simple as that.
    Yes I vaguely remember that at the time, although walking away from such successful team, to play for Spurs still seems odd. Can being that successful become boring, and I wonder if he ever looked back when he was at Spurs and considered that a far inferior keeper to him was picking up medals that could and would have been his?

    Anyway, he was certainly a superb keeper and seemingly an all round nice chap. A very sad loss.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •