+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Stadium moves that worked and didn't

Modern Stadium moves that worked and didn't

Interesting articles but rather flimsy reasons why Swansea and Hull for instance are successful and Cardiff quite the opposite.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-new-build-era

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-stadium-moves

Re: Modern Stadium moves that worked and didn't

I think it's very harsh to say our stadium move was unsuccessful.

Where would we be if we were still in ninian park?
    What would our average crowds be?

Why is it that much different from the Swansea one, to say that their move was one of the best and ours was one of the worst?

Fair enough some of them are clear- like Coventry, even then it wan't the move that was the problem, just everything else that happened at the same time.

I agree, I struggle to see the justification for many of those choices in either category and, reading what they say about ours, it seems that they were struggling for one or two more to get up to ten so they decided to include us - if Tan changed those red seats to blue, we'd probably have been in the ten best article

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think it's very harsh to say our stadium move was unsuccessful.

Where would we be if we were still in ninian park?
    What would our average crowds be?

Why is it that much different from the Swansea one, to say that their move was one of the best and ours was one of the worst?

Fair enough some of them are clear- like Coventry, even then it wan't the move that was the problem, just everything else that happened at the same time.
    A more thoughtful analysis could have taken into account the level of dislocation for fans. Moving Reading from walking distance of the town centre to a motorway junction with little or no pubs and eating places for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree, I struggle to see the justification for many of those choices in either category and, reading what they say about ours, it seems that they were struggling for one or two more to get up to ten so they decided to include us - if Tan changed those red seats to blue, we'd probably have been in the ten best article

Quite.

A daft article.

Weve got a brilliant stadium in a good location.

First Team

To call out move across the road a failure is a strange one.
    Indeed , most of the failures seem linked to on field matters rather than the actual grounds.
    For me the move was needed and delivered without totally ruining the club financially. To bring up the red shirts is just an excuse imo to justify the inclusion in the article.
    I consider the move to have reflected the upward curve of the club and has given the club a facility that is appropriate for=the modern game/supporter.
    I appreciate many moan about the loss of atmosphere but, frankly, there was mostly little atmosphere at Ninian outside of the big games.

Only thing wrong with CCS is the hideous, cheap and now dirty and worn cladding - other than that, the location, size, atmosphere when full house is all very good indeed - shit article.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Weve got a brilliant stadium in a good location.
    indeed, for me a stadium and a club is for everyone ,not just car owners , council planning should consider all aspects when granting a new build that includes discounts for using brown field inner city sites that generates local business growth and jobs , not just focus on shinny new motorways stop off sites aligned with big corporate financed builds

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Only thing wrong with CCS is the hideous, cheap and now dirty and worn cladding - other than that, the location, size, atmosphere when full house is all very good indeed - shit article.
    ...is the right answer

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    The stadium is excellent in many ways but exiting the stadium from the terraces takes longer than it does at Barcelona. There's a real choke point before reaching the vomitorium.

P.S. FAO Mr Morris: still no tbg smiley

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The stadium is excellent in many ways but exiting the stadium from the terraces takes longer than it does at Barcelona. There's a real choke point before reaching the vomitorium.

Used to love/hate the penguin march in NP. CCS is better than that at least when exiting IMO.

Our stadium’s location meant that nothing changed pre or post match for the fans, one of the main things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Our stadium’s location meant that nothing changed pre or post match for the fans, one of the main things for me.
    Absolutely and being able to stagger to and from the ground into a pub whilst avoiding motorways is critical

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Interesting articles but rather flimsy reasons why Swansea and Hull for instance are successful and Cardiff quite the opposite.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-new-build-era

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-stadium-moves
    Wouldn’t agree with you about interesting, absolute waste of time and effort and a load of rubbish. Waste of space in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The most glaring is Huddersfield who have been in the Premiership once since they built their new Stadium, though admittedly for 2 years.

We have gone up to the Premiership twice, reached an FA Cup Final, a League Cup final, several championship playoffs including onne unsuccessful play off final and been in with a chanced of the Playoffs until late on in almost every season since 2008.

We could have done better on occasions but most Championship clubs would love our sort of failure!!

Nonsense article. Wales games are played at the CCS for a reason. I’ve loved being part of a brilliant atmosphere on a number of occasions there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

You only need to look at the design of the Stade de France, to see how a stadium can be built that allows large numbers of people to exit a crowded area quickly. I think it was based loosely on some Roman Colosseum layouts.

I think they could have pared each article down to 5 grounds and it would have been made them much more pertinent. Our ground is perfectly fine. Sure it would look better if all the seats were blue, but it's not like that's something that's completely beyond the club. It could happen at any time. The unsuccessful grounds piece in particular was weak. Who cares about Portsmouth's ground that didn't get built.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Nonsense article. Wales games are played at the CCS for a reason. I’ve loved being part of a brilliant atmosphere on a number of occasions there.
    That is a very good point regarding Wales games and I never considered the obvious fact, that you can not blame our stadium for any lack of atmosphere, in fact it is the complete opposite, as Wales games played at the CCS show that atmospheres can and have often been phenomenal.

I have been to every Premier League ground and I can say that facility wise our Cardiff City Stadium is up there with the best. Atmosphere wise remember the Leicester play off semi final, that was bloody awesome and the Wales v Belgium game so it's definitely not an acoustics problem it's down to the occasion and the fans. Proud of our CCS.

Derby's stadium move has been pretty successful as well, probably sunderlands too when you look at attendances both teams have had over the years. you can't hold the stadium move accountable for everything.

There are a few in there who have been a bit over ambitious, but by no means disasters.

They also missed the worst move of all - the original Wimbledon's move out of Plough Lane, which we all know how that ended.
    terrible article really.

I was living in Coventry when they moved to the Ricoh, such a disaster. Was a nightmare to get to, completely dislocated from the City. There was nothing wrong with Highfield Road, it was a decent size and although in a rough area, a good location. Progress though eh...

To say CCS has been unsuccessful is ridiculous for many of the reasons mentioned above in relation to City. But I think you can't underestimate how important it has been to the national team. We now have a proper home that's a great football ground and the atmosphere is fantastic. Singing section in the Canton, bands playing on the concourse, there is a proper fan culture now at Wales games, no more rattling around a Rugby Stadium nobody really wants you in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Derby's stadium move has been pretty successful as well, probably sunderlands too when you look at attendances both teams have had over the years. you can't hold the stadium move accountable for everything.

There are a few in there who have been a bit over ambitious, but by no means disasters.

They also missed the worst move of all - the original Wimbledon's move out of Plough Lane, which we all know how that ended.
    terrible article really.
    Precisely.
    In fairness similar arguments to those mentioned could be said about quite a few of the other stadia in the article but they have got their criteria for best and worst a bit muddled.

More than happy with CCS.
    Once you see beyond the nostalgia part of moving, it was pretty tough to take at the time, then the comparative upheaval was minimal. Compare our to being a Weat Ham's. The numbers may work but the fans have had the soul ripped out of their club
    It's like going to a different city.

As other have said, the routine of going to the game and pubs still as was and I disagree with the comment on the facade, it looks pretty good.

Having Wales games in our stadium and not in a rugby stadium has got to be a plus.
    The editor put us in the wrong article!

Plus we hosted the European Super Cup in the CCS! I can’t imagine Ninian Park attracted that somehow

the only bad thing is the red seats in the upper tier which is utter shyte and potentially even the upper tier in general