+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Stadium moves that worked and didn't

Re: Modern Stadium moves that worked and didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Plus we hosted the European Super Cup in the CCS! I can’t imagine Ninian Park attracted that somehow

the only bad thing is the red seats in the upper tier which is utter shyte and potentially even the upper tier in general
    Do you think it would be improved if they moved the white seats around to spell WALES? How much could that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Only thing wrong with CCS is the hideous, cheap and now dirty and worn cladding - other than that, the location, size, atmosphere when full house is all very good indeed - shit article.
    Even if it had glass cladding or something, it's still an uninteresting, generic construction.

When people talk about "What would have happened had we stayed at Ninian Park?" I just think about Craven cottage. It's much more interesting to redevelop individual stands as and when the need arises.

Instead of moving to the CCS they could have redeveloped the Grandstand and made a beautiful 7k stand, which would have upped the attendance enough for a championship side with average gates of 20K. After that , do something with the canton stand. After that , put a new roof on the bob bank with a repainted Captain Morgan Rum on the top. Extend the Grange End back a bit.....maybe an overhanging top tier.

All of this done well and overtime would give us a stadium with and attendance of between 30-40k

What we have is functional but souless space to watch sport. When people talk about atmosphere, this is something that is generated by the fans and having a successful football team. I'd prefer to go to watch City play Carlisle in the 4th Division at Ninian Park than I would watch us play Morecambe in League Two at the CCS. The CCS is a totally horrible place to be when there are 5k people there.....just in terms of the venue itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Even if it had glass cladding or something, it's still an uninteresting, generic construction.

When people talk about "What would have happened had we stayed at Ninian Park?" I just think about Craven cottage. It's much more interesting to redevelop individual stands as and when the need arises.

Instead of moving to the CCS they could have redeveloped the Grandstand and made a beautiful 7k stand, which would have upped the attendance enough for a championship side with average gates of 20K. After that , do something with the canton stand. After that , put a new roof on the bob bank with a repainted Captain Morgan Rum on the top. Extend the Grange End back a bit.....maybe an overhanging top tier.

All of this done well and overtime would give us a stadium with and attendance of between 30-40k

What we have is functional but souless space to watch sport. When people talk about atmosphere, this is something that is generated by the fans and having a successful football team. I'd prefer to go to watch City play Carlisle in the 4th Division at Ninian Park than I would watch us play Morecambe in League Two at the CCS. The CCS is a totally horrible place to be when there are 5k people there.....just in terms of the venue itself.
    Yeah but a developed NP would be a horrible place to be with 5k. Just like the old NP used to be horrible holding 2.5k in a 20k stadium.

It's not just the seating. It's the facilities. How are you going to develop the bob bank? It was basically a giant hill. And there was no room at either end. Not to mention the undersoil heating, changing rooms, storage, office space, parking etc. Next time you're enjoying a piss after your third pint, remember the Bob-bank.

I'm confused. So its fans that make the atmosphere and not the stadium?

Also, it's of generic construction for a reason.
    It's cheaper to build and if I remember correctly, Ridsdale was going round with a bucket to raise the funds.

Sounds more like you are describing Stoke's Britannia stadium not Craven cottage

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yeah but a developed NP would be a horrible place to be with 5k. Just like the old NP used to be horrible holding 2.5k in a 20k stadium.
    A 20,000 stadium? Let’s not forget, 2 and a half thousand of us were rattling around in a 60,000 capacity stadium really, the footprint hadn’t altered that much.

Ninian Park had the massive disadvantage of being boxed in by the railway behind the Bob Bank. Access all around the stadium is so much more practical.

For me the criteria should be:

1:
    Did the stadium contribute to greater success for the club: i.e. more crowds attending, greater revenues, was there a period of relative success following the move? or did it become an albatross, taking funds away from the team?

2:
    How did the move effect the matchday experience?
    Can you still walk there from your usual pre-match pubs or is it a 30 minute drive to a soulless motorway junction?

3:
    Has the stadium been built at an appropriate size?
    Or does it seem like there's no crowd there because it's always 1/4 full.

4:
    Is it a good stadium?

I think we would score pretty well against any of those criteria