+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One For The Exiles..

One For The Exiles..

Wherever you are. What do you miss most about living away from South Wales, and what do you miss least of all? really hoping for some interesting Answers that aint 'the weather' or 'Clarks Pies'

Re: One For The Exiles..

What I miss most: the people.

What I miss least: the people.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I miss the banter most. Asians have no idea in my experience. I also miss the Brecon Beacons This place is so flat anywhere that’s a little bit elevated is called a mountain

I don’t miss spending ages queuing on M4 and don’t miss HMRC sending reminders that I owe them money. I don’t miss Tesco, paying£65 to fill the car with petrol and I don’t miss the so called traditional Sunday lunch.

I miss the mountains and rivers.
    I don’t miss the small town mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Wherever you are. What do you miss most about living away from South Wales, and what do you miss least of all? really hoping for some interesting Answers that aint 'the weather' or 'Clarks Pies'
    Good one Dennis:

Miss: My Mum and sister, and old school friends

Don’t miss: the rain, parochialism

I don't miss anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Good one Dennis:

Miss: My Mum and sister, and old school friends

Don’t miss: the rain, parochialism
    I'm guessing that you were from a small town/village? Yeah, parochialism does seem a bit of a theme in Wales.

I'm guessing that you were from a small town/village? Yeah, parochialism does seem a bit of a theme in Wales.
    No, I was brought up in Lakeside.

But I always wanted to experience living in London, and having done so for many years now (well Surrey mostly but often working/spending time in London), Cardiff can be a bit parochial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    No, I was brought up in Lakeside.

But I always wanted to experience living in London, and having done so for many years now (well Surrey mostly but often working/spending time in London), Cardiff can be a bit parochial.
    Agreed, i'm not far from Lakeside. I did a two year stint in London with work, came home every other weekend, it does open your eyes and made me more rounded, especially during my stints in deepest, darkest south london.

Agreed, i'm not far from Lakeside. I did a two year stint in London with work, came home every other weekend, it does open your eyes and made me more rounded, especially during my stints in deepest, darkest south london.
    Lol. Yes, quite. And of course it isn’t for everyone which is absolutely fine of course.

I miss the feeling of being in a place where I experienced childhood and youth. Where I can walk around and remember the streets and houses. I miss living within walking distance of the sea. But I've lived away for over half my life. I don't know how I would feel if I came back. I'm not sure I'd really feel at home.

Hard to explain really.
    Hireath is a genuine thing for me.
    Just the place like, although I would certainly bet that applies to folk from everywhere.

Availability of comforting Food, Television and “non attended” Sport have come on leaps and bounds since I’ve been here.
    Internet connectivity has also made vocabulary more similar over the years.

I do miss the people back home though first and foremost.
    The characters and the familiar humour that doesn’t quite translate.

I also miss the countryside and the coastal climate.
    A frosty morning in South Wales or a Summer Evening particularly.

Also access and availability of public transport even as sporadic and expensive as it seems to be back home, is much better than the US.

I left Wales in 1992 & the UK in 2011. I don’t think I’d ever go back but if I did it’d be to Cardiganshire or Pembrokeshire.

I miss the coast even though I live on a lake the size of an ocean - it’s the lack of ruggedness I think.

A short list of misses:

Traditional pubs and cask ale.
    Parks Football
    Chicken Madras
    Pot Noodle
    Galaxy Chocolate
    Cheese & Onion crisps
    Jars of Bovril

Most of all it’s family and friends though

Now....if I had to give a list of things I don’t miss, it’d probably be a little longer

No-one’s mentioned The City

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Hard to explain really.
    Hireath is a genuine thing for me.
    Just the place like, although I would certainly bet that applies to folk from everywhere.

Availability of comforting Food, Television and “non attended” Sport have come on leaps and bounds since I’ve been here.
    Internet connectivity has also made vocabulary more similar over the years.

I do miss the people back home though first and foremost.
    The characters and the familiar humour that doesn’t quite translate.

I also miss the countryside and the coastal climate.
    A frosty morning in South Wales or a Summer Evening particularly.

Also access and availability of public transport even as sporadic and expensive as it seems to be back home, is much better than the US.
    You wouldn't be too keen on the "coastal climate" this morning .

Miss.... family, Christmas time, access to items I can't buy here, football, running through the parks, roath park, the pubs, banter

Don't miss.. dai hunt, drizzle, Brexit, the tories

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I miss the feeling of being in a place where I experienced childhood and youth. Where I can walk around and remember the streets and houses. I miss living within walking distance of the sea. But I've lived away for over half my life. I don't know how I would feel if I came back. I'm not sure I'd really feel at home.
    Yeah. The feeling of familiarity is quite reassuring and peaceful. I miss it

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Miss.... family, Christmas time, access to items I can't buy here, football, running through the parks, roath park, the pubs, banter

Don't miss.. dai hunt, drizzle, Brexit, the tories
    Ah, the pubs, even us still living in South Wales miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    What I miss most: the people.

What I miss least: the people.
    Agree with this. Miss my friends and family and seeing them more often.

Don’t miss the small town parochialism at all.

Im not sure if it’s a Welsh thing or just a shit school thing but remember being shocked when I went to university there wasn’t the same anti intellectualism I saw growing up.

Ah yes - the sea. Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Agree with this. Miss my friends and family and seeing them more often.

Don’t miss the small town parochialism at all.

Im not sure if it’s a Welsh thing or just a shit school thing but remember being shocked when I went to university there wasn’t the same anti intellectualism I saw growing up.
    Is it really surprising that anti-intellectualism would be more prevalent among the kids in your hometown -some of whom may have left school with no qualifications and others that didn't plan on further education- than the kids that got into university?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I miss the banter most. Asians have no idea in my experience. I also miss the Brecon Beacons This place is so flat anywhere that’s a little bit elevated is called a mountain

I don’t miss spending ages queuing on M4 and don’t miss HMRC sending reminders that I owe them money. I don’t miss Tesco, paying£65 to fill the car with petrol and I don’t miss the so called traditional Sunday lunch.
    sense of humour seems very culturally specific.
    I've got mates who moved to the states who said for years that 90% of Americans have no apparent sense of humour and any British person you meet you'd instantly be able to have a good joke with.
    once they'd lived there for a long time though I think it changed.

I get what you mean about mountains. if I go somewhere really flat like the east of England or northern Germany I find it really depressing

Is it really surprising that anti-intellectualism would be more prevalent among the kids in your hometown -some of whom may have left school with no qualifications and others that didn't plan on further education- than the kids that got into university?
    That's the thing no one from my school went to university while 90% of people I went to university with did. And I assume the anti intellectualism is why. People in my school weren't thick at all there was just no appetite to do well.

I grew up in a very working class area though so probably more that than specifically wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    That's the thing no one from my school went to university while 90% of people I went to university with did. And I assume the anti intellectualism is why. People in my school weren't thick at all there was just no appetite to do well.

I grew up in a very working class area though so probably more that than specifically wales.
    Perhaps it was you?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Perhaps it was you?
    Yeah must have been my fault no one bothered with their exams I suppose.