+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One For The Exiles..

Re: One For The Exiles..

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    That's the thing no one from my school went to university while 90% of people I went to university with did. And I assume the anti intellectualism is why. People in my school weren't thick at all there was just no appetite to do well.

I grew up in a very working class area though so probably more that than specifically wales.
    what % of the people you went to university with went to university?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what % of the people you went to university with went to university?
    Badly worded I meant 90% of people from their schools went to university.

That's the thing no one from my school went to university while 90% of people I went to university with did. And I assume the anti intellectualism is why. People in my school weren't thick at all there was just no appetite to do well.

I grew up in a very working class area though so probably more that than specifically wales.
    Where did the other 10% of people who went to university with you go?

Seen reply.....they went to university as well!

Badly worded I meant 90% of people from their schools went to university.
    yeah that sounds familiar

yeah that sounds familiar
    I didn't mean it to come across as snobbish. It more winds me up that I grew up with people who are just as smart as people who've done really well for themselves and it mostly comes down being lucky enough to grow up in the right area with the right schools.

I'm still here, and I miss seeing my mates, going for a school reunion. I nearly went to the USA to live about 10-12 years ago and the only thing I knew IO would miss, apart from family, was going to watch City. But I reckon I could have handled it in the sunshine, whereas now I am still here and even on the TV we are cra*p. But the match day experience is what i would have missed ( and being disappointed when we lose 1-0!).

I’ve been in London 40 years and now just working on my exit plan, I thought about Wales but going back don’t feel right so I’ve decided on the south coast somewhere like Bournemouth or Weymouth I fancy the sea and I’m definitely craving a bit more living space.

I didn't mean it to come across as snobbish. It more winds me up that I grew up with people who are just as smart as people who've done really well for themselves and it mostly comes down being lucky enough to grow up in the right area with the right schools.
    yes it's totally eye opening to suddenly be mixing with people from a very different background.

yes it's totally eye opening to suddenly be mixing with people from a very different background.
    Spot on. As a valley boy going to uni in London back in the mid Sixties it was certainly an eye opener. For example it was the first time I had ever met people from public schools and experienced their slightly condescending attitude. I was lucky in that I had a grammar school education and I remember being asked by one of those guys if I was the first pupil from my school to get to university! Er, no...

After graduating I lived in east Essex for 10 years or so and worked in the East End of London - the folk there are a different breed I tell you.

One thing that i've noticed when i've been away from south wales for a period of time, especially after working in the south east of england, is how people communicate with each other here. There seems to be more lyric in how the south walians communicate, also sympathetic and caring, especially with the older generation. Another thing in south wales is that people can't say goodbye once, and that's it, especially in the more working class areas. It's 'Ta ra love, Ta' ra, Ta' ra, get yourself inside now love, Ta' ra, speak to you tomorrow, Ta' ra love....... It's reassuring to hear.

baseball
    The City
    Mark Humphreys
    Barry Island

Living down West, not being able to get down CCS regularly.
    People aren't so friendly down here as in Cardiff and the Valleys.
    Chapter Arts and decent live gigs.

I went to college in Manchester and spent most of the time following city up north

Then I went to college in Oxford and did the same

Then went to work 8n Bradford and spent all my wages following city

I hated living away from South Wales

I should have gone to university in Bridgend really

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

:
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I miss the feeling of being in a place where I experienced childhood and youth. Where I can walk around and remember the streets and houses. I miss living within walking distance of the sea. But I've lived away for over half my life. I don't know how I would feel if I came back. I'm not sure I'd really feel at home.
    Made me feel quite emotional reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Spot on. As a valley boy going to uni in London back in the mid Sixties it was certainly an eye opener. For example it was the first time I had ever met people from public schools and experienced their slightly condescending attitude. I was lucky in that I had a grammar school education and I remember being asked by one of those guys if I was the first pupil from my school to get to university! Er, no...

After graduating I lived in east Essex for 10 years or so and worked in the East End of London - the folk there are a different breed I tell you.
    I remember one of my first parties at uni, they were introducing themselves by saying which school they went to! "Watson, Harrow" etc, I just started laughing

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I miss the feeling of being in a place where I experienced childhood and youth. Where I can walk around and remember the streets and houses. I miss living within walking distance of the sea. But I've lived away for over half my life. I don't know how I would feel if I came back. I'm not sure I'd really feel at home.
    Oh definitely, I remember coming back for a weekend and I hadn't even been away for particularly long, but it felt so reassuring recognising the streets and having memories associated with them

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I remember one of my first parties at uni, they were introducing themselves by saying which school they went to! "Watson, Harrow" etc, I just started laughing
    yeah I remember being asked what school I went to, which was quickly followed by a very dismissive " I've never heard of that school"

well I'd never heard of any of theirs either to be honest

An interesting thread, which would be even more interesting if those living away stated where ‘home’ was now, and what they preferred about living there, also.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    An interesting thread, which would be even more interesting if those living away stated where ‘home’ was now, and what they preferred about living there, also.
    Ho Chi Minh City

Two seasons. Wet May to September and dry October to April.
    Sun up at 05.30. Sundown 17:30. My work day starts much earlier and it’s not easy getting used to lunch at 11am but you adjust.
    Temperature is not easy to be comfortable in but 35 degrees during the dry season is average. Can get up to 40 in the city but down at the beach in Long Hai with the sea breeze it’s balmy

Shorts and t shirts make deciding what to wear an easy choice
    Getting around on a motorbike and parking it next to where you want to go and pay an attendant 20p spoils you when returning to the west.

Going to weddings is a bit weird compared to Cardiff. If the invite says 12 you turn up at 12 and 2 hours later after eating the food and drinking the beer it’s like someone turns off the lights and everybody goes home. I’ve tried explaining that we should continue drinking into the evening but all I’ve so far is a trip to a karaoke bar and a reputation for being a drinker.

Having to pay ‘tea money’ to every government employee to do their jobs is one of the reasons Vietnam is considered a corrupt country but it really does make getting what you want quick and easy. My uncle Chin paid up to 2.5 million dollars for a share in the company that was getting the car parking contract at the new airport development between HCM City and Ba Ria. What an ‘investment’ opportunity that was. I stayed out of it.

All in all it’s very different

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Ho Chi Minh City

Sun up at 05.30. Sundown 17:30. My work day starts much earlier and it’s not easy getting used to lunch at 11am but you adjust.
    Temperature is not easy to be comfortable in but 35 degrees during the dry season is average. Can get up to 40 in the city but down at the beach in Long Hai with the sea breeze it’s balmy

Getting around on a motorbike and parking it next to where you want to go and pay an attendant 20p spoils you when returning to the west.

Going to weddings is a bit weird compared to Cardiff. If the invite says 12 you turn up at 12 and 2 hours later after eating the food and drinking the beer it’s like someone turns off the lights and everybody goes home. I’ve tried explaining that we should continue drinking into the evening but all I’ve so far is a trip to a karaoke bar and a reputation for being a drinker.

Having to pay ‘tea money’ to every government employee to do their jobs is one of the reasons Vietnam is considered a corrupt country but it really does make getting what you want quick and easy. My uncle Chin paid up to 2.5 million dollars for a share in the company that was getting the car parking contract at the new airport development between HCM City and Ba Ria. What an ‘investment’ opportunity that was. I stayed out of it.

Excellent, really enjoyed that, especially the express wedding ceremonies, right up my street! I hope some of the other posters in this thread can articulate some of the cultural quirks, differences that they experience.

Ho Chi Minh City

Really interesting.

Particularly the 20p parking.

Last year I paid about £35, to park in a field at an Oakland Raiders game!!

The cost of event parking in the States, is crazy.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Ho Chi Minh City

I'm close to the Vietnam border, in Guangxi province, China.
    I have had similar experiences as you regarding weddings. Here, as a wedding guest, you have to bring with you a 'hongbao' (red bag). This is a small red envelope which contains money. This is why people who you barely know, are eager for you to attend their wedding.
    First wedding I attended here, I wore a sports-jacket, trousers and a pair of leather shoes. The temperature was 35c and about 80% humidity. The rest of the guests wore t-shirts, jeans and trainers!
    Same situation... after they've ate the food they leave in their droves. No DJ, no bar... nothing!

Parking here, for anything electric, is cheap as chips. My e-bike cost 11p to park indefinitely, whilst when I used to drive my electric car, it was free to park.

I miss the UK weather (never thought I'd say that). It's sub-tropical where I live and very hot from May to October. Humidity is crazy here, sometimes the hygrometer in my apartment reads 99% (it doesn't go up to 100). I just feel drained all the time.
    I miss UK food too (UK food & weather, eh!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Parking here, for anything electric, is cheap as chips. My e-bike cost 11p to park indefinitely, whilst when I used to drive my electric car, it was free to park.

I miss the UK weather (never thought I'd say that). It's sub-tropical where I live and very hot from May to October. Humidity is crazy here, sometimes the hygrometer in my apartment reads 99% (it doesn't go up to 100). I just feel drained all the time.
    I miss UK food too (UK food & weather, eh!).
    Cheers for the reply and extra details!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'm close to the Vietnam border, in Guangxi province, China.
    I have had similar experiences as you regarding weddings. Here, as a wedding guest, you have to bring with you a 'hongbao' (red bag). This is a small red envelope which contains money. This is why people who you barely know, are eager for you to attend their wedding.
    First wedding I attended here, I wore a sports-jacket, trousers and a pair of leather shoes. The temperature was 35c and about 80% humidity. The rest of the guests wore t-shirts, jeans and trainers!
    Same situation... after they've ate the food they leave in their droves. No DJ, no bar... nothing!
    I think weddings in this country were similar in years gone by - in terms of wedding, some food then everyone ****s off