Thread: FT: WALES 3 - 1 FINLAND. Match thread

Re: WALES v FINLAND. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That's more like it.
    That's moore like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Surely we would need three of the above nations to win their groups
    I was casting it negatively rather than positively. If two out of four A group winners don't top their World Cup groups then we don't get a play-off spot

Apart from a shaky 15 minutes that was excellent. Promotion to be amongst the big boys so no Ireland next time....and a real chance of a play off place for the WC Finals should we need it. Great stuff. Played really well tonight. Dan James MoTM and some much improved performances particularly Norrington-Davies.
    Somebody must have told Norrington-Davies that it's not illegal to pass the ball forward. To be fair, barring that mini wobble when Finland scored, it was a very accomplished performance by the whole team. Onwards and upwards 👍

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I was casting it negatively rather than positively. If two out of four A group winners don't top their World Cup groups then we don't get a play-off spot
    or finish second.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    or finish second.
    You're trolling me now!

#6 #17

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I don't think it's win, it's don't qualify but they can qualify as runners up which means we have even more chance.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't think it's win, it's don't qualify but they can qualify as runners up which means we have even more chance.
    Gotcha! Thanks

Haven't enjoyed a game so much for quite a while.
    Well done Wales.
    A nice lift as we enter lockdown in South Australia.

Closer to Republic of Ireland at home (when Ampadu had long hair) in Nation's League than any other game we've seen since: we created a number of chances and scored a number of good goals, but defensively were more open too.

Harry Wilson's best game in a Welsh shirt, probably Dan James' too and some are saying the same thing for Joe Morrell. We finished the game without Bale, Ramsey, Allen, Davies, Chester, Hennessey and topped the group - very pleasing. However, for all the pleasure of almost definitely securing a second chance at World Cup qualifiers, in order to fall back on that we would need to finish outside the top 2 of our qualifying group and I'd rather not need it.

Desired group based on where we are right now:

Pot 1: one of Denmark, Belgium or Croatia.
    Pot 3: one of Iceland, Finland or Greece
    Pot 4: Luxembourg
    Pot 5: Latvia
    Pot 6: San Marino

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Closer to Republic of Ireland at home (when Ampadu had long hair) in Nation's League than any other game we've seen since: we created a number of chances and scored a number of good goals, but defensively were more open too.

Harry Wilson's best game in a Welsh shirt, probably Dan James' too and some are saying the same thing for Joe Morrell. We finished the game without Bale, Ramsey, Allen, Davies, Chester, Hennessey and topped the group - very pleasing. However, for all the pleasure of almost definitely securing a second chance at World Cup qualifiers, in order to fall back on that we would need to finish outside the top 2 of our qualifying group and I'd rather not need it.

I’d want Norn Ireland ahead of the three you mention from pot three. Denmark or Croatia from pot one.

Gunts 99th cap
    just gone through this thread and glad someone has mentioned that . Hope he gets the chance to make it to 100 caps

what an achievement that would be

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Tonight's result is massive.

1. Promotion to the Nations League A
    2. Most probably a guaranteed play off place for WC 22
    3. Most probable a play off place for Euro 24

We must be the smallest nation punching in the top levels of European football.

Great stuff
    4. We won't have to ply ****ing Ireland in the next nations league

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    just gone through this thread and glad someone has mentioned that . Hope he gets the chance to make it to 100 caps

what an achievement that would be
    Would be a fantastic achievement. I just hope his 100th is a better experience for him than his 99th. Coming on in the last minute he just looked so disinterested as if to say what's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Would be a fantastic achievement. I just hope his 100th is a better experience for him than his 99th. Coming on in the last minute he just looked so disinterested as if to say what's the point.
    I thought he was just thinking "ball get out of play ffs, I'm 2 off 100!"

He knows he ain't going to be first choice with the talent we have at RB.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I thought he was just thinking "ball get out of play ffs, I'm 2 off 100!"

He knows he ain't going to be first choice with the talent we have at RB.
    Same here. Thought he looked very keen to get on.

I don't agree with giving him appearances just to get to 100 caps, if that's what's happening then that devalues it.
    Why not bring neville southall on for a minute at the end of his career a few times to get him to 100 caps?
    every cap should be on merit

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Edit: not Belgium. It briefly slipped my mind as to when these qualifiers start but Belgium in March wouldn't be as good.

Re: FT: WALES 3 - 1 FINLAND. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    4. We won't have to ply ****ing Ireland in the next nations league
    I know what you mean but the Nations League record of P4 W3 D1 L0 F6 A1 is not to be sniffed at!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't agree with giving him appearances just to get to 100 caps, if that's what's happening then that devalues it.
    Why not bring neville southall on for a minute at the end of his career a few times to get him to 100 caps?
    every cap should be on merit

He’s earned the privilege of a 2 minute appearance with the other 98 caps.

His cross in the Euro’s, 2016 is enough!!!

Re: FT: WALES 3 - 1 FINLAND. Match thread

Tim Hartley and Russell Todd looking at setting up a Welsh football social enterprise (that will look to connect, inspire, support and resource those working for a better Wales and using - or want to use - football as the 'medium') if anyone is interested: https://twitter.com/ExpoWalGoch

So give us a follow and keep your eyes peeled for further info. Also email expowalgoch@gmail to be added to our mailing list or if you're curious to know more